Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Sven18 on April 24th, 2018, 5:43 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:I don't believe the park will spend money to invest in a water park expansion. The water park is already pretty big, is only open from May-September, and with the Great Wolf Lodge opening on the other side of the ride, it might not make much sense.

Let's see if the Pictorium gets demolished first...

Great Wolf Lodge is not a reason against a WP expansion, it's a reason to do it. SF doesn;t want their WP to seem bad in comparison. WP's have good ROI's for amusement parks, especially chain parks SF and CF.
Sven18

Postby anewman35 on April 24th, 2018, 8:04 pm
If the Pictorium was being removed, I'd be surprised it was still on this year's map (but then again, they somehow neglected to advertise HitP on the map, and still show the old kiddie Ferris Wheel even though they don't plan on running it, so I'm not exactly sure WHAT they were doing with the map this year)
anewman35

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 9:00 pm
anewman35 wrote:If the Pictorium was being removed, I'd be surprised it was still on this year's map (but then again, they somehow neglected to advertise HitP on the map, and still show the old kiddie Ferris Wheel even though they don't plan on running it, so I'm not exactly sure WHAT they were doing with the map this year)

Well then again it's Six Flags, like reference to the Six Flags app they still have King Chaos on there. Also I know why they don't change the maps. 1. They don't have the time, and 2. They don't feel like spending the money on fixing it.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Eagle04 on April 24th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Eagle04 wrote:
Tardis1972 wrote:So Bedrock Boulder Roller hasn't been removed from the park yet? I could of sworn when I was at the Saturday I saw it.

The cars were swapped out.

Forgot to add the picture. The cars don't look new. Something pulled out of storage?
Attachments
0421181132a.jpg
Eagle04

Postby RollingCoasting on April 24th, 2018, 10:57 pm
^ That is actually not Boulder Roller, but Rocky Road Rescue

But yes, it looks like the cars were changed. Reminds me of the old Hampton car rides at Kiddieland
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on April 25th, 2018, 11:02 am
Eagle04 wrote:
Forgot to add the picture. The cars don't look new. Something pulled out of storage?

Redrock.jpg

it looks like its the old kiddie ride that use to be infront of the county fair station
great america fan

Postby cliffhanger on April 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm
anewman35 wrote:If the Pictorium was being removed, I'd be surprised it was still on this year's map (but then again, they somehow neglected to advertise HitP on the map, and still show the old kiddie Ferris Wheel even though they don't plan on running it, so I'm not exactly sure WHAT they were doing with the map this year)

The map is indeed strange this year. I noticed it isn't offset printed (printed with a photo plate). Instead it's digitally printed (giant inkjet printer). You can tell because the image is made up of tiny dots instead of solid color. The paper is also slightly tacky and similar to photo paper. Usually digital printing is much more expensive than offset, so I don't know why they would choose to go that route instead unless they were pressed for time. Could be a weird choice of printing or possibly they weren't willing to reveal some things on opening day. Who knows.
cliffhanger

Postby cliffhanger on April 25th, 2018, 2:44 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:I heard it's being demolished this week

TOTAL SPECULATION HERE:
I pass by the employee entrance every day on the way to work. Monday I saw three big dump trucks entering the backstage area. Could be for MGHangover construction or something else. Ill leave it at that.
cliffhanger

Postby RollingCoasting on April 25th, 2018, 3:20 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:https://twitter.com/SFGreat_America/status/988537587496374274

Probably nothing exciting, but take it as you will

I have no clue what that could mean. Like you said, probably nothing exciting.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... e_internal

Looks like it was for some type of mural
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 25th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Ooh, I really dig that.

Image for those who don't want to go to Facebook.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RBullFan97 on April 25th, 2018, 4:13 pm
^I love it. This will become a very popular spot for photos I'm sure.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby cliffhanger on April 25th, 2018, 5:24 pm
Jumping on the "Instagram Wall" trend it seems. I like it! Image
cliffhanger

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 25th, 2018, 5:38 pm
^I like to see Sky Trek Tower and V2 on that mural. That sort of tells me they aren't thinking of getting rid of those rides yet. :P

So, just so I'm clear, F is the Joker. From looking at it, at first, it looked like a Euro Fighter. The Joker has a much wider track than the painting shows.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 25th, 2018, 6:02 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Ooh, I really dig that.

Image for those who don't want to go to Facebook.

Oh man that might be my next wallpaper :D.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby cliffhanger on April 25th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:So, just so I'm clear, F is the Joker. From looking at it, at first, it looked like a Euro Fighter. The Joker has a much wider track than the painting shows.

Im pretty sure that is supposed to be whizzer. Its missing the trains.
cliffhanger

Postby Sven18 on April 25th, 2018, 6:56 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Well then again it's Six Flags, like reference to the Six Flags app they still have King Chaos on there. Also I know why they don't change the maps. 1. They don't have the time, and 2. They don't feel like spending the money on fixing it.

Changing it would take a few minutes. The cost would be a next to nothing, meanwhile SF spent 81M in Q1 on stock buybacks and they don't want to spend literally pennies in comparison to fix an app. That tells what they think of their patrons. They surely have a web/app company under contract or have someone in house that handles all 13 parks. Neither are valid excuses, it's just SF incompetence and taking patrons for granted.
Sven18

Postby cliffhanger on April 25th, 2018, 9:24 pm
Sven18 wrote:Neither are valid excuses, it's just SF incompetence and taking patrons for granted.

Here's my thoughts. Park management knew pictorium was gone but didn't know how soon they could demolish it. But they knew Hangover would be done soon. They have to promote Hangover on opening day, so they make a small run of maps with both Hangover and Pictorium (See my other post for my observation of the map). This could play some part of why HITP is missing too.
As for the app, it's probably easier to swap it after everything is said and done rather than trying to update the app two times for both pictorium and hangover. To me, it's a very planned out thing they did. I'll bet you we'll have properly printed maps very soon if they aren't printed already.
cliffhanger

Postby anewman35 on April 25th, 2018, 10:33 pm
It makes zero sense they would feel some temporary obligation to include Pictorium on the map if they knew they weren't using it this year. Theme park maps frequently just don't show things that are really there but aren't actually being used. And I'm not aware of any time (at least in recent history) that Six Flags has updated a map in midseason. I'd be incredibly shocked if they updated the map before Fright Fest.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 26th, 2018, 9:16 am
I noticed that the 2 mural images (above) are slightly different. Look at the 'S' and 'F' on both images. Are they from different sites, or is one image not totally complete?

Also, are we totally sure Pictorium is coming down? Could the "dirt pile and digging" be to repair some landscaping or even some below ground electrical or plumbing issue?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on April 26th, 2018, 9:22 am
At the park. Pictorium is coming down. Can’t see much from the path, but when we entered the park I saw rubble through the trees. If I can get a picture I’ll send it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 26th, 2018, 9:34 am
Stupid question: are they able to disassemble that massive screen and perhaps reuse it or even sell it to another park or theater?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on April 26th, 2018, 10:18 am
Here it is...

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby SFGAmFan12 on April 26th, 2018, 10:37 am
JaminOut wrote:Here it is...

In one fell swoop you just shut the nay sayers that said it wasn’t coming down.

And that’s a pretty good pic between the trees!
SFGAmFan12

Postby RBullFan97 on April 26th, 2018, 11:05 am
And just like that, a park staple for nearly 40 years is coming down.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby Jodon on April 26th, 2018, 11:10 am
I don't know if they are really demolishing the Pictorium. Maybe they are just performing some renovation work on the back wall... /s

I understand the history of the Pictorium, but I don't think it has been a park staple for more than a decade. Once IMAX became more prevalent at movie theaters and (I'm guessing) SF declined to make the jump to digital IMAX, the Pictorium was never going to regain it's importance in the park.
Jodon

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum