Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on October 10th, 2018, 11:54 pm
For me, once the Splash Blaster (the water coaster) LEFT the park (Magic Waters), I left the park also. You can also see this in regards to the attendance. That ride was PACKED all the time. When I mean packed, I'm talking about almost every line filled that the park built for it. It was that long. After that left, it wasn't worth it to go to that park anymore, for ME. I started going somewhere a little closer, but still around that area instead. Whether injury or not, they shouldn't have taken that ride out. It ruined them! I have ridden that ride so much in a day, and I was never injured. It might have been a de-flated raft that did it, or who really knows. It could have been an older person that couldn't take it, gets a back injury, and they win the lawsuit. The park takes out in my opinion, my favorite & best water thing I have been on.

They SHOULD have really stressed though, that ride is a SUPER intense ride, and parents shouldn't go on it if they can't take it. That is literally like a roller coaster with hills. It's not for your grandma. How many grandmas or even moms go on many roller coasters such as Batman the Ride? Only the enthusiast moms or grandmas, and there are very FEW of them. To compare intensity at the Six Flags waterpark, it's like if your mom or grandma went on the Tornado water slide. They usually don't. They can't handle it. They don't like that stuff, but the same moms or grandmas might have went on the water coaster at Magic Waters because they just think it's a normal (more relaxing) water slide when it isn't. Again though, yes there are moms and grandmas that are enthusiasts, but those are a very, very, very SMALL SELECT set of people.

After the injury in 2015, it was closed for the rest of the season. 2015 was an amazing attendance year for them. 2016 wasn't horrible, but I think I remember we bought tickets (at the very beginning of the year) thinking the ride would be open, but it was either gone that year or it was just sitting there not open. So, if you notice in attendance, it's still not that bad. People went the year after it shutdown thinking it would be open again, or just not knowing the news that was closed at the end of 2015 after the accident. 50,000 people decline after that. I wonder why. 2017 is a complete drop. 2018 is a complete drop from 2015 & 2016. What's missing is the wonderful water coaster, and I stopped going in those 2 years. The speed slides they added I could careless about. No wonder why they have to be leased by Six Flags now. Taking out the water coaster ruined this park in my OPINION!

Other than the Splash Blaster people (which was the most packed line in the entire park), they also made the cooler people mad.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby ChicagoCoasters on October 11th, 2018, 3:26 pm
anewman35 wrote:The other day, I saw a sign in Hometown Park (not sure if it was new, but I hadn't seen it before) that said you could use your Season Dining Pass for Games, Dare Devil Dive, or the Go Karts. It said to check with those attractions for more info (and I didn't). Anybody know about his this works?

Yes you can trade in yet your snack for a $10 credit for games or 1 free ride on Dare Devil Dive or the go karts. You can trade in a lunch or dinner for an all day go karts pass, all day Dare Devil Dive pass, or a game play up to $10 plus another regular game play up to $5.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby SfGaMownz on October 12th, 2018, 12:20 am
Haven’t been there in years myself. Seems prices aren’t going to be raised substaintly, as well as additional attractions should be coming in. I don’t doubt that it will be a win for both six flags and the regular to Magic Waters. Getting to go to Magic Waters and Six Flags for $65-$90 depending when you purchase a pass will entice more locals to get a Six Flags pass. If this deal gets approved soon enough, I wouldn’t doubt a new attraction in time for Memorial Day opening next spring.
SfGaMownz

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 12th, 2018, 2:24 pm
Here's a totally crazy idea I just got: How about shipping Buccaneer Battle off to Magic Waters??? That park gets a "new" ride and it kind of belongs over there and we get much needed space!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby B&MGuy35 on October 12th, 2018, 2:29 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Here's a totally crazy idea I just got: How about shipping Buccaneer Battle off to Magic Waters??? That park gets a "new" ride and it kind of belongs over there and we get much needed space!

AMEN!!
I second that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby RBullFan97 on October 12th, 2018, 3:11 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Here's a totally crazy idea I just got: How about shipping Buccaneer Battle off to Magic Waters??? That park gets a "new" ride and it kind of belongs over there and we get much needed space!

I wouldn't be against this. I just went on Buccaneer Battle for the first time in 8 years this past July. It has really good theming but it's just boring. I didn't even get that wet. It would be a lot more at home in a water park I think.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby JackGlass on October 12th, 2018, 3:36 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:

AMEN!!
I second that!

I third that! lol
JackGlass

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on October 12th, 2018, 5:09 pm
JackGlass wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:

AMEN!!
I second that!

I third that! lol

I fourth that, get that useless ride out of this park.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby UnclePennybags on October 12th, 2018, 6:01 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:
JackGlass wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:
Here's a totally crazy idea I just got: How about shipping Buccaneer Battle off to Magic Waters??? That park gets a "new" ride and it kind of belongs over there and we get much needed space!

I second that!

I third that! lol

I fourth that, get that useless ride out of this park.

I fifth that.
UnclePennybags

Postby B&MGuy35 on October 12th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Bathrooms are open again inside JB’s

B&MGuy35

Postby ChicagoCoasters on October 12th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Heck yeah. I sixth that. Somebody start a petition. I can already hear the chain lift of the RMC T-Rex. C'mon SFGAm, give the people what they want. :lol:
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby JackGlass on October 13th, 2018, 9:37 am
ChicagoCoasters wrote:

Heck yeah. I sixth that. Somebody start a petition. I can already hear the chain lift of the RMC T-Rex. C'mon SFGAm, give the people what they want. :lol:

T-Rex, Raptor, XL Giant Discovery, GCI, hell.... even a standard Vekoma Boomerang would be better at this point than Buccaneer Battle! Ship that POS to Rockford and call it a day! lol
JackGlass

Postby AirTimeDaz on October 13th, 2018, 11:08 am
SEVENTH!! and send demon & little dipper over too while you're at it :lol:
AirTimeDaz

Postby RBullFan97 on October 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm
AirTimeDaz wrote:SEVENTH!! and send demon & little dipper over too while you're at it :lol:

Now you've crossed the line there buddy. :P
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby n9yty on October 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
n9yty wrote:The free three month thing is a disaster. To offer as incentive a benefit you only get WHEN YOU CANCEL is beyond bizarre. And, if you have the member dining it doesn't carry over for those three months, and I don't you could even pay for it since you had to cancel. Bizarre! Who wants three months without dining? Not me. LoL

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

You just cancel your membership then and not the dining. I’ve done it before and it’s simple. I’ve had a membership since they came out which was 4 years ago now I think I’ve cancelled twice in that time to get the cheaper price when it was on sale.

It's member dining, don't think I can have it without the membership.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
n9yty

Postby JT2002 on October 14th, 2018, 3:53 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:
AirTimeDaz wrote:SEVENTH!! and send demon & little dipper over too while you're at it :lol:

Now you've crossed the line there buddy. :P

8th. Rather see that thing go than any other water ride. Heck, rather than any other ride.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Ilovthevu' on October 19th, 2018, 11:25 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:
anewman35 wrote:The other day, I saw a sign in Hometown Park (not sure if it was new, but I hadn't seen it before) that said you could use your Season Dining Pass for Games, Dare Devil Dive, or the Go Karts. It said to check with those attractions for more info (and I didn't). Anybody know about his this works?

Yes you can trade in yet your snack for a $10 credit for games or 1 free ride on Dare Devil Dive or the go karts. You can trade in a lunch or dinner for an all day go karts pass, all day Dare Devil Dive pass, or a game play up to $10 plus another regular game play up to $5.

On the facebook group of Great America fan base club, they really detail this in a recent post, and you can see the games they say you can play. I'm kind of shocked about the Skycoaster being included in this. That's a lot of money for 2 people (maybe $30, and that's for a meal) Seems like a lot of money difference: meal vs 2 Skycoaster riders price.

On November, 10th they have this event called South Asian Festival.
It says season pass holders and members can buy their way into the private time from 8pm - 10pm on that day. ???? I find that weird... that you can buy your way into an event you have no idea what's going on.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... ate-diwali
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby got2havefun on October 20th, 2018, 9:18 am
I wonder if dare devil dive is going to be on the chopping block soon. It seems like the novelty has worn off after 20 years.
got2havefun

Postby Sven18 on October 20th, 2018, 9:24 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:On the facebook group of Great America fan base club, they really detail this in a recent post, and you can see the games they say you can play. I'm kind of shocked about the Skycoaster being included in this. That's a lot of money for 2 people (maybe $30, and that's for a meal) Seems like a lot of money difference: meal vs 2 Skycoaster riders price.

This an attempt to keep margins and lower costs. The skycoaster ride costs SF nothing, the staff is there and being paid, there is no incremental cost to SF. However, ever use of a meal pass is an incremental cost in product. If a person goes to the park a lot and has a dining pass the margins get slim on the dining pass.There is a substantial number of people that go to the park 10, 15, 20 or more times a year and they have dining passes. SF is literally making low margins on these dining passes and could even be losing on the heavy users on that $75 dining pass. The people most likely to trade in meals for games or Skycoaster are the heavy users. SF getting them to use it on these experiences instead of a meal lowers costs. There are people that use parks as a essentially a weekly food plan. They go to the park 3 or 4 weekdays in the evening for dinner and then go 1 weekend day all day, they do this all season. Any chain offering meal plans wants the ideal customer to go enough to see value in it over paying out of pocket, but doesn't want them to go so much that the margins get slim or go negative.
Sven18

Postby Carlo on October 20th, 2018, 10:28 pm
I think they are doing this not because of money but because of staffing issues. The lines at food locations are so long. So to help reduce the lines they are offering this special offer. That why the value is great, plus it really does cost them extra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby Sven18 on October 24th, 2018, 3:02 pm
SF on the conf call mentioned the introduction of mobile dining in 2019. They did not elaborate. Is this the ability for dining pass holders to pre order off the app? SF says dining passes are the 1st time over 1M sales, so expect even longer waits as the staffing will surely stay the same.
Sven18

Postby Ilovthevu' on October 29th, 2018, 12:33 am
Was almost the whole park closed on Sunday Oct 28th, or what? lol Look at the ride status. I just don't get the entire month & 1/2 of this fest. People talk about the haunted houses, but they don't even talk about the rides at all. For some of these rides, it's close to the end of them running because of how cold it's going to get, and just not a lot about them / even on the facebook club thing. It's confusing to me.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Wisco Woody on October 29th, 2018, 8:34 am
You cant trust the ride status listings or QueueTimes site for this park, and you obviously weren't there yesterday. Rest assured, pretty much everything was open the entire day despite the cold and often rainy conditions because this park has some of the best and most dedicated maintenance in the industry. If all you want to do is ride coasters and normal plain rides, you have all of daily operation season to do that. In fact if you don't like the way Six Flags manages downtime, you should definitely make it to Cedar Point so you can see what an overstretched and less well managed maintenance staff looks like, plus you can ride all the rides you complain about Great America not having.

You don't get the month and a half of Fright Fest? This is when the Park is at their absolute best with not just all the rides and coasters, but great live shows,5 short haunted houses and 1 quite long house, and some good scare zones and actors that blow away anything during the regular season. The theming, energy, and enthusiasm of the staff during our Fright Fest makes this the best theme park haunt event in the midwest and probably the entire Six Flags chain. The crowds obviously love it too, and if you've ever been on a Fright Fest day with a nearly dead park you'd know how important the guests are to the atmosphere.
Wisco Woody

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on October 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm
^ I know the amount of effort they put in to Fright Fest is impressive, I hope they can put this mush effort in HITP when I go Black Friday.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby DejaVu2001 on November 8th, 2018, 9:29 am
As the freezing temperatures hit this weekend, expect all Coca-Cola kiosks and other exposed food locations to be closed for the season as they were for the last 2 weeks of last season.
DejaVu2001

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum