Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Foltzy on August 14th, 2018, 10:52 pm
I believe I also saw some work for a haunted attraction being done in the back of kidzoplis where the stage (? I think. Never actually gone in there) was. I may be wrong as I was walking quickly in the queue for eagle but I thought I'd share what I noticed.
Foltzy

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 16th, 2018, 10:23 am
So, Roaring Rapids used to close early for the season, but I asked, and they said this (for this year). This is GREAT news. Last year was August 20, 2017, for instance.

"So the last day that Roaring Rapids (and all the water rides for that matter) will be open is Labor Day Weekend. Essentially when Hurricane Harbor closes for the season, the water rides in the dry park will close as well. I hope that helps out and if you have any further questions please feel free to email me or call the info line
Enjoy the rest of your day!!!

Freddy Berrens
Guest Services Supervisor
"
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 18th, 2018, 10:06 am
Double post; but you should know: The Lobster was shut down all day on Friday - August 17, 2018.

The segment - Spiels that don't make sense.
"American Eagle is Viper's older brother." Huh?
I take things literally, but hear we go. If an eagle and a viper were brothers, that's messed up inter-species type of stuff. What's worse with these 2 animals though is that eagles eat snakes (vipers).

So, here is a video for you - an eagle & a snake fighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD0KOmg_YQ8

The American Eagle and Condor would be better rides to match up, yet they are not 2 coasters. At least a bird would get it on with another bird rather than a bird and a snake. I also don't think eagles are against condors.

I know. Ha ha. I'm supposed to be dumb, and just go eagle and viper are wooden coasters. Ha ha...
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 18th, 2018, 12:59 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Thanks, all! Everyone at Bull was very nice and assured me that I was doing the right thing. Security personnel were equally nice and helpful.

You DEFINITELY did the right thing!! Great job!!

Thank you, CoasterRiderSC!
SaveTheWAVE

Postby Bobthebuilder645 on August 18th, 2018, 5:52 pm
Next year's gold pass will no longer include Hurricane Harbour. Neither will the regular pass... That's total bs
Bobthebuilder645

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 18th, 2018, 6:01 pm
Can this confirm Hurricane Harbor could possibly become a seperate park?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Sven18 on August 18th, 2018, 6:34 pm
Bobthebuilder645 wrote:Next year's gold pass will no longer include Hurricane Harbour. Neither will the regular pass... That's total bs

The current chart on the website shows regular passes and Gold pass get you in SFGAm Hurricane Harbor, but don't get you into the at any other SF parks Hurricane Harbor, while memberships do. Where is this info coming from?
Last edited by Sven18 on August 18th, 2018, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven18

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 18th, 2018, 6:38 pm
^^^If you are talking about what's on the website right now, it says "No Waterpark Entry Fee". That's what gets you into Great America's waterpark with a season pass.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/membership
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Yeah, I see people complaining about this on Facebook too, but it's a misunderstanding. It's water parks at OTHER Six Flags that aren't included with a normal pass (and I don't think they ever have been), not our HH...
anewman35

Postby Sven18 on August 18th, 2018, 6:56 pm
anewman35 wrote:Yeah, I see people complaining about this on Facebook too, but it's a misunderstanding. It's water parks at OTHER Six Flags that aren't included with a normal pass (and I don't think they ever have been), not our HH...

Exactly!
Sven18

Postby Jodon on August 18th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Does anyone know if the dates for Read to Succeed have passed? If not, what is the end date for the tickets?
Jodon

Postby JaminOut on August 18th, 2018, 10:48 pm
The end date for the tickets are always this past Wednesday. Sorry man.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby batmanfan80 on August 18th, 2018, 11:36 pm
Was there today like 3:30-8. Not many lines longer than 20 min, but didn't get to Orleans or Yankee Harbor due to Eagle obliterating us. So Whizzer was supposedly a 55 min wait on the queue site but was pretty much a walk up first thing. One of the best rides it gave us. Lobster broke and recovered fast. Great ride, more intense than usual. Demon was pretty much its usually self in the yellow train. X-Flight was completely smooth the whole time, which hasn't been the case for me in years. Eagle red was brutal. Blue was closed again. A couple weeks ago it was about the best its ever been. Today it was out of control, train flying off the tracks in a bad way. We sat 3rd from the back instead of 5th or 6th. But I don't think that was the issue. Maybe the train was heavier. After that, riding anything else didn't seem like that fun of an idea. No rock shows today for some reason. Trudy's actually had ice and the minute maid stuff in stock for most of the day. Again, no one was parking in the preferred lot. Hundreds of spaces left open. This kinda attendance is probably where they should keep it. Lines never get too horrible and the place isn't totally dead. For some reason there was a million cars parked outside Kohl's at Gurnee Mills after 8. Never knew Kohl's was such a hip spot for Saturday night. People could be parking at the mall and walking to avoid paying for parking if they don't have the free parking on their season pass. Reminds me of record crowd FF days in the past where we went to the mall due to the insane crowds and the mall lot was full yet there wasn't that many people inside the mall. This time there was a lot more people in the mall, but nothing that would lead me to believe all those cars belonged to mall patrons.
batmanfan80

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 19th, 2018, 12:04 am
^I would think that the only reason people are parking by Kohl's is because that it is towards the front of the mall (from the main street). It's not the beginning of the mall, but it seems to be towards the end of the mall. I guess Macy's is the end of the mall. I don't believe people are parking there, and going to Great America. It's too far. You also said the lines were short..

We (enthusiasts) LOVE empty parks, empty parking lots, and short lines. Great America HATES empty parks and short lines. They would LOVE to fill up that entire park (to the brim) everyday they are open. It's a business. The more people, the more money they make. If they (the company) could get 10 million people to come a year, they would be thrilled by that. And us (enthusiasts) would feel miserable because we would have to wait forever to get on anything.

In my opinion, attendance does not seem very good this year for the park. I don't go to the park all the time, but based on other people's reports, and when I go, it just seems lower to me. It's a SATURDAY in AUGUST (no rain in the forecast when you had so much rain forecasted the days before), and a person says they rode 20 rides on the roller coasters. I don't know if they did anything else, but that is so many!
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 20th, 2018, 3:56 pm
Noticed today that at some point in the last few months, they put up new signs for "Crazy Bus" and "Yahoo River" instead of just the slightly altered versions of the previous signs they they had up at the beginning of the year. The new ones are on the Six Flags app if you want to see them.
anewman35

Postby got2havefun on August 20th, 2018, 7:00 pm
anewman35 wrote:Noticed today that at some point in the last few months, they put up new signs for "Crazy Bus" and "Yahoo River" instead of just the slightly altered versions of the previous signs they they had up at the beginning of the year. The new ones are on the Six Flags app if you want to see them.

They must of realized that those attractions are going to stay around a little longer before a bigger kid area makeover.
got2havefun

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 21st, 2018, 12:05 pm
So, for these 5 weekdays (Mon - Fri); they only have 1 water ride open - Logger's Run. It says Roaring Rapids is closed for the season. You contact the park, and they say Roaring Rapids is going to be open till Labor Day, but obviously they don't know what they are talking about.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Bobthebuilder645 on August 21st, 2018, 3:25 pm
The entire park is having a blackout right now. Everything is shutoff due to a power cut off.
Bobthebuilder645

Postby JT2002 on August 21st, 2018, 8:37 pm
Bobthebuilder645 wrote:The entire park is having a blackout right now. Everything is shutoff due to a power cut off.

those dam christmas lights.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby RBullFan97 on August 22nd, 2018, 5:58 pm
In the Giant Drop queue they now play sound effects that make it sound like an old mine, which is pretty neat. Sorry I didn't get any video though. Also, I've noticed in Southwest Territory there's a new sound effect about every minute that sounds like a bird flying across the desert or something like that. I captured it in this video of River Rocker I took. You can hear it at the 0:42 and 1:35 marks approximately: https://youtu.be/_KZa4oQG-nc.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 22nd, 2018, 6:38 pm
^I heard that noise also, about a week ago. I mentioned it, but than I deleted it right away because maybe I was dreaming even though hearing it a lot.

Since, I know their is proof of it, and I'm not the only one; that noise reminds of the Cruis'n Exotica Nintendo 64 Amazon level: https://youtu.be/rWz81NSXsds?t=34s till about 41 seconds.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Jodon on August 24th, 2018, 10:04 am
Those of you that have been at the park more than I this season: Has Whizzer been opening with the park, or has the ride opening been delayed recently? I'm taking my niece and nephew to the park in a few weeks, and want to get on Whizzer before the queue gets too crazy.
Jodon

Postby benneluke on August 24th, 2018, 11:09 am
RBullFan97 wrote:In the Giant Drop queue they now play sound effects that make it sound like an old mine, which is pretty neat. ...in Southwest Territory there's a new sound effect about every minute that sounds like a bird flying across the desert

Seems like someone is getting around to fixing up the park audio. I know GG used to have sound effects in the tunnels, but they have been missing for a while. I think every so often an explosion goes off. The eagle sound is interesting I dont ever remember hearing that. Was it layered over the area music, or coming from a specific speaker? Hopefully this means themed music will return next year.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 24th, 2018, 11:53 am
I absolutely LOVE the eagle sound in Southwest!! You can hear them very clearly at the top of Giant Drop, in addition to a "whirling" sound of wind. I also love the pick axe sound effects in Giant Drop's queue.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RBullFan97 on August 24th, 2018, 12:25 pm
benneluke wrote:
RBullFan97 wrote:In the Giant Drop queue they now play sound effects that make it sound like an old mine, which is pretty neat. ...in Southwest Territory there's a new sound effect about every minute that sounds like a bird flying across the desert

Seems like someone is getting around to fixing up the park audio. I know GG used to have sound effects in the tunnels, but they have been missing for a while. I think every so often an explosion goes off. The eagle sound is interesting I dont ever remember hearing that. Was it layered over the area music, or coming from a specific speaker? Hopefully this means themed music will return next year.

I've been trying to figure out where the eagle sound is coming from. I think it's over by Giant Drop or Raging Bull, but I'm not too sure.
And yes, I hope this means the themed music might come back, but remember that post I made a couple weeks ago where I mentioned a part of County Fair was playing themed music? Well, it's pop music now. So idk, we can always hope and write to them about it, but they really seem fixed on the pop music so who knows at this point.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum