Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coasterrider2 on January 18th, 2016, 11:24 pm
Thread to discuss minor updates & happenings around Six Flags Great America.
Last edited by coasterrider2 on September 21st, 2016, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
coasterrider2

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 19th, 2016, 12:01 am
Sorry, but what's this "Mantra Tunnel" that's being removed? Is it a ride tunnel, or one of the bridges?

It also seems that SFGAm's maintenance is starting to slack off a bit.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby JaminOut on January 19th, 2016, 12:38 am
Whizzer needs three trains, or else it gets way too busy. I don't want to stand in line for an hour to ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby MrsTaxi on January 19th, 2016, 5:20 am
coasterrider2 wrote:Thought it was about time to create a thread for the minor things happening around the park this season.

A few things that I know as confirmed from sources inside the park:
• Demon will only be getting two trains this year, and will most likely never run three trains again
• Triple Play is finally due for refurbishment which will include a new light package (similar to HTFM & Orbit) and it is quite likely it will not open with the park.
• Two of the training trailers have been removed from the employee parking lot and the rest will likely be removed by opening day.
• The "mantra tunnel" has been completely removed.

Very likely but not confirmed:
• Whizzer will also not receive its third train this season.

Feel free to post what you guys have heard/seen regarding this upcoming season, too.

Any other rumors? Yeah- what's a mantra tunnel? I can understand why Demon would only run 2 trains and I don't remember Whizzer running more than 2 all last season. Thanks for the info.
MrsTaxi

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 19th, 2016, 8:46 am
Oh yeah, that. I remember them say that on a walkback I was part of last month.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Viper 88 on January 19th, 2016, 11:22 am
Why will DEMON never run 3 trains again? Also why is it unlikely Whizzer will run 3 trains?
Viper 88

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 19th, 2016, 12:16 pm
^Did you see either last season? I doubt it's been released by the park, but it's very likely.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby coasterrider2 on January 19th, 2016, 12:18 pm
Viper 88 wrote:Why will DEMON never run 3 trains again? Also why is it unlikely Whizzer will run 3 trains?

MrsTaxi wrote:Any other rumors? Yeah- what's a mantra tunnel? I can understand why Demon would only run 2 trains and I don't remember Whizzer running more than 2 all last season. Thanks for the info.

With how the park's ride operations are these days, having a third train at Demon does little to help capacity. Demon's rehab schedule will now be more like American Eagle's, where only one train will have to be rehabbed over the winter, instead of three. There will then be two trains out at the ride while the third train is rehabbed during the summer.

Whizzer is supposedly going to work the same way, which makes much less sense considering the third train actually helps capacity.
coasterrider2

Postby Viper 88 on January 19th, 2016, 12:48 pm
The third train doesn't help DEMON?! Are you kidding I have been to FF When the line for DEMON was around the front, they put the third train in service and that line got eaten up faster than hot dogs on the 4th of July. If this is the way the park is going to go then capacity is just going to be abysmal. I have a feeling they are just trying to do it to ramp up FP sales.
Viper 88

Postby Ace on January 19th, 2016, 1:45 pm
Considering that they didnt have three trains last year and did just fine I am sure this year will be ok too. BTW because they have fewer trains to rehab over the winter they likely will have more units for opening day. There certainly are reasons for doing what they are doing.
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 19th, 2016, 2:00 pm
Demon I can see. It's disappointing, but I get it, and it's not a big deal. Whizzer though, that 3rd train is needed badly.
DejaVu2001

Postby Goku1910 on January 19th, 2016, 5:38 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Demon I can see. It's disappointing, but I get it, and it's not a big deal. Whizzer though, that 3rd train is needed badly.

Back when I worked at Demon, we were actually more efficient with two trains compared to three. Riders per hour were just a tad higher with two trains.... Keep in mind there are a lot of variables and this was when we had lockers.
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on January 20th, 2016, 7:13 pm
coasterrider2 wrote:Thought it was about time to create a thread for the minor things happening around the park this season.

• Demon will only be getting two trains this year, and will most likely never run three trains again
• Triple Play is finally due for refurbishment which will include a new light package (similar to HTFM & Orbit) and it is quite likely it will not open with the park.
• Two of the training trailers have been removed from the employee parking lot and the rest will likely be removed by opening day.

Feel free to post what you guys have heard/seen regarding this upcoming season, too.

Even if you don't work at the park please be considerate of the ones that do and not post things like this. You're only putting your friends in jeopardy. And don't think SFGAm's staff won't find out, they have "sources" too.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby coasterrider2 on January 20th, 2016, 7:22 pm
Goku1910 wrote:

Even if you don't work at the park please be considerate of the ones that do and not post things like this. You're only putting your friends in jeopardy. And don't think SFGAm's staff won't find out, they have "sources" too.

You're right. This is some pretty confidential information. All of these things could be reasonably predicted considering demon nor whizzer had their third trains last year, the trailers were announced to be removed in every post-hiring training to every team member and in backstage tours, and that anyone who attended a hiring event could see by walking to human resources that the trailers were half gone and a roof of an old tunnel was removed. I'm glad I didn't share anything else because the FBI might come looking for me.
coasterrider2

Postby Goku1910 on January 20th, 2016, 7:29 pm
No need to be a smart guy here. You may not see it as a big deal now but SFGAm has reasons for not telling the public these things. I don't know such reasons nor do I really care but it should be common sense what you can post and what you can't post. Instead of saying "my sources" why don't you just say your own predictions? Like you, I have former coworkers still at the park and as a former employee there's no rules stopping me from posting what they tell me, doesn't mean I'll post it and put them at risk.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 20th, 2016, 7:30 pm
I've actually been undercover for the past 2 years, so I'll need your information soon. :P

In seriousness, it is a bit of a dicky move to post all of that, especially with much of it being negative information.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby anewman35 on January 20th, 2016, 9:45 pm
Goku1910 wrote:No need to be a smart guy here. You may not see it as a big deal now but SFGAm has reasons for not telling the public these things. I don't know such reasons nor do I really care but it should be common sense what you can post and what you can't post. Instead of saying "my sources" why don't you just say your own predictions? Like you, I have former coworkers still at the park and as a former employee there's no rules stopping me from posting what they tell me, doesn't mean I'll post it and put them at risk.

I'm not picking sides in this battle, because I don't really care, but I'm pretty sure the "reasons" the park would have for not telling the public this info is that for the most part the public wouldn't possibly care in the slightest. I'm trying to picture a press release announcing that some trailers that people didn't even know existed were being removed...

And as for the ride stuff, yeah I guess the park COULD announce fairly minor (but slightly negative) things, but why would they? I mean, if the park had to officially tell the public things before people were allowed to discuss them here, it wouldn't be a very busy message board.

I guess I sort of am picking sides now that I think about it, because, again, all the info was stuff that doesn't really matter, so it seems stupid to lecture somebody about it. It's not like announcing a new ride a year early - it's saying that some rides might have a little less capacity and one ride will open late. For all I know SFGAm has some hard-ass supervisor who cares about info getting out, but if so, that's stupid. Who cares about any of this?
anewman35

Postby RaceBoarder on January 20th, 2016, 10:07 pm
anewman35 wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:No need to be a smart guy here. You may not see it as a big deal now but SFGAm has reasons for not telling the public these things. I don't know such reasons nor do I really care but it should be common sense what you can post and what you can't post. Instead of saying "my sources" why don't you just say your own predictions? Like you, I have former coworkers still at the park and as a former employee there's no rules stopping me from posting what they tell me, doesn't mean I'll post it and put them at risk.

I'm not picking sides in this battle, because I don't really care, but I'm pretty sure the "reasons" the park would have for not telling the public this info is that for the most part the public wouldn't possibly care in the slightest. I'm trying to picture a press release announcing that some trailers that people didn't even know existed were being removed...

And as for the ride stuff, yeah I guess the park COULD announce fairly minor (but slightly negative) things, but why would they? I mean, if the park had to officially tell the public things before people were allowed to discuss them here, it wouldn't be a very busy message board.

I guess I sort of am picking sides now that I think about it, because, again, all the info was stuff that doesn't really matter, so it seems stupid to lecture somebody about it. It's not like announcing a new ride a year early - it's saying that some rides might have a little less capacity and one ride will open late. For all I know SFGAm has some hard-ass supervisor who cares about info getting out, but if so, that's stupid. Who cares about any of this?

Actually there are a number of reasons that this info might need to be kept under wraps.... Information getting out early can cost big time $$$$ in a business like this being first and foremost.... There is a reason that SFGAm will make you sign a non-disclosure agreement with your employment...
RaceBoarder

Postby coasterrider2 on January 20th, 2016, 10:13 pm
Never thought that posting such minor things to a forum where we discuss the park would create such controversy and so many people worried about someone losing their job because a couple people know that some trailers were removed and some coasters are continuing to run the same amount of trains they did last year.
coasterrider2

Postby anewman35 on January 20th, 2016, 10:21 pm
RaceBoarder wrote:Actually there are a number of reasons that this info might need to be kept under wraps.... Information getting out early can cost big time $$$$ in a business like this being first and foremost.... There is a reason that SFGAm will make you sign a non-disclosure agreement with your employment...

I don't want to hear vague "there may be reasons!" stuff. I also don't want to hear "the park might not want information out!" Besides potentially annoying somebody at the park (which I don't care about - the park's annoyed me plenty), can anybody give a single way any of the information listed above would hurt anybody?
anewman35

Postby RaceBoarder on January 21st, 2016, 6:43 pm
anewman35 wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:Actually there are a number of reasons that this info might need to be kept under wraps.... Information getting out early can cost big time $$$$ in a business like this being first and foremost.... There is a reason that SFGAm will make you sign a non-disclosure agreement with your employment...

I don't want to hear vague "there may be reasons!" stuff. I also don't want to hear "the park might not want information out!" Besides potentially annoying somebody at the park (which I don't care about - the park's annoyed me plenty), can anybody give a single way any of the information listed above would hurt anybody?

SFGAm could still be negotiating with a 3rd party to do work w/ them... The contractor reads about the rumored work on the forum here, yet they have only been asked about half of the work that was posted on the forum... Knowing that the work they have been contacted about needs to be done before the other work can continue, they now double their asking price... SFGAm is stuck with the asking price...

That's how posting stuff in a place like this can be detrimental...
RaceBoarder

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on January 21st, 2016, 6:48 pm
I'm okay with Demon running 2 trains but I'd prefer Whizzer running 3. As for Triple Play I'll look forward to that upgrade.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby coasterrider2 on January 21st, 2016, 7:44 pm
RaceBoarder wrote:
anewman35 wrote:

SFGAm could still be negotiating with a 3rd party to do work w/ them... The contractor reads about the rumored work on the forum here, yet they have only been asked about half of the work that was posted on the forum... Knowing that the work they have been contacted about needs to be done before the other work can continue, they now double their asking price... SFGAm is stuck with the asking price...

That's how posting stuff in a place like this can be detrimental...

You do realize that SF does almost all construction in-house right? And we're talking about the removal of four mobile-home sized trailers.

I created this thread because I was hoping it could be a hub for us to discuss the minor changes that happen throughout the off season and then the 2016 season. It has turned into a discussion on how much the few small updates I posted could destroy the park and all the people working for it. Maybe I'd understand if I had posted that JL would be the new addition back in May or what the 2017 addition is, but we're talking about the removal of trailers, a roof, and two coasters running the same amount of trains as they did last year.
coasterrider2

Postby JaminOut on January 21st, 2016, 8:53 pm
Oh no! An employee tunnel being removed for a secluded part of the park not open to the public! Call the press! They must be notified immediately!

Unlike some people on this forum, I enjoy smaller things like this. It gives us something to talk about. Would you rather have an active forum or no forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby sfgam-fan on January 21st, 2016, 9:56 pm
As a former employee, I am HIGHLY OFFENDED that the park would remove the trailers I was trained in. I am EQUALLY OUTRAGED that they would remove the tunnel. And as a concerned citizen, I DEMAND that SFGAM run 3 trains instead of 2. Said nobody ever.

C'mon people. The park isn't going to be damaged by "leaks" that no one in the general public cares about and any employee or informed person could have predicted.

Relax :)
Last edited by sfgam-fan on January 21st, 2016, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfgam-fan

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum