Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

How cold is too cold?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on July 2nd, 2015, 9:24 pm
We've had a cool summer. I've been waiting for a warm Wednesday to visit the park for the first time since 1988. I thought 80 degrees would be warm enough to hit Roaring Rapids and the two flume rides. However, the thought occurred to me that the park may feel warmer than the weather report for Gurnee. Maybe 75 degrees is good enough? Opinions? How cold does it have to be for you to avoid the water rides?
UnclePennybags

Postby Viper 88 on July 4th, 2015, 9:55 am
Anything under 77, but remember the sun has to be out in full force otherwise no go, personally I prefer temps to be 82-85. If temps persist to be cool get an emergency rain poncho (off property, there is a walmart close by they will only be about .97-1.00 in park they are about $8.00)
Viper 88

Postby RollerCoasterFavRide on July 6th, 2015, 9:34 am
I think anything above 75 and it'll feel warm enough. I think in the park because of all of the people/attractions there is very little breeze. Also, most of the walkways are black top so it makes it feel extra warm.

It was a bit chilly Friday evening, but the kid and I rode Logger's Run (I may have used her for a bit of shield :lol: ) and she rode Roaring Rapids by herself. She was fine afterwards except she had been wearing jeans so we stopped by a restroom for her to change into her shorts we brought since wet jeans are the worst to walk around in. I thought she would have frozen to death (she's 42 lbs of skin and bones practically), but she was fine in the shorts, wet shirt, and dry sweatshirt (not brought on the rides).
RollerCoasterFavRide

Postby UnclePennybags on July 19th, 2015, 5:44 pm
We went on July 15. It was sunny, no humidity, with temps in the lower 70's, but it felt like 80. I wish we would have hit the rides in a clockwise direction from the front of the park. Instead, we started at Whizzer and worked around towards Raging Bull, Goliath, etc. By the time we got to the water rides, the temp had dropped into the 60's and it was definitely too cold to go on the water rides. Shame. I was looking forward to them. Maybe next year.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on July 20th, 2015, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby onyxhotel08 on July 19th, 2015, 9:27 pm
The water in the water rides areas is always way too cold for me. It is a good thing you don't get completely soaked because even when it is hot outside, the water can still be cool/chilly. I guess you do get drenched sometimes on Rapids but it does depend where you sit. I hate getting wet in the face and hair area.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 19th, 2015, 10:45 pm
Too cold is anything below 32°, as water begins to freeze then. :P

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum