Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Another SFGAm Rant via TPR

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby skibum101184 on July 29th, 2014, 3:15 pm
Another rant made public by TPR in regards to SFGAm.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-07-29-14-36-21.png
skibum101184

Postby tp41190 on July 29th, 2014, 3:18 pm
He is a drama queen starving for attention.

Do people actually visit his site still?
[read]
tp41190

Postby NightRider785 on July 29th, 2014, 3:28 pm
So she has spring loaded legs that make her shrink when you push down on her head? I've always seen them do height checks really fast and barely even touch the top of the kids head.
NightRider785

Postby ilrider on July 29th, 2014, 3:41 pm
Have you ever seen a child booed for getting measured or denied a ride at our park? Me neither.
ilrider

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 29th, 2014, 3:42 pm
They were probably booing at Robb for making a scene and holding up the ride for God knows how long.
DejaVu2001

Postby ilrider on July 29th, 2014, 3:47 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:They were probably booing at Robb for making a scene and holding up the ride for God knows how long.

That, or booing the ops for measuring her or denying her the ride, in which case, I have a good idea who was doing the booing, since I have never seen that happen before.

I do post at TPR at times, and I am having to hold my tongue a lot today to avoid being banned there, I am so angry at how this unleashed such a torrent of negativity about our park. I understand the problem with their daughter getting to ride Goliath and Eagle but not Viper, but the easy solution, which they finally did, was to get the height wristband. If she got denied again at Viper even with the wristband, then I do not know what to think, but it sounds like it all got resolved eventually.
ilrider

Postby UWW-10 on July 29th, 2014, 4:20 pm
According to himself and his minions per the comments "All the Six Flags Parks have become awful"....and yet they still visit them each summer :roll:

After clicking through his rant and update....my guess is that they measured and didn't meet the height requirement the first time but came back and the same crew was on the platform. The daughter had the wristband that just so happened to show the proper height even though the crew had already measured and said no. My guess is that he got himself in trouble previously with exchanged words to the crew so the "But we stopped at Guest Relations" thing may not have been bought. There have been cases where families have tried to "exchange" wristbands so that other kids in the group could ride thinking that the ride operator wouldn't notice. Even though it clearly stated the height on the band...it's still something that you have to be aware of. I'm assuming at this point supervisors were called in to make the decision. So, he was upset because they followed a procedure.....

For someone who knows his way in and out and around theme parks....why he just didn't do the wristband thing first, especially if it is questionable and had already been stopped twice prior to this (and it was probably even suggested by the other crews so they wouldn't have to keep measuring) is just puzzling to me.
Last edited by UWW-10 on July 29th, 2014, 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UWW-10

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 29th, 2014, 4:41 pm
He did make another post about it later, which I think handles the situation much better.

I kinda think when writing the first post he was really mad in the heat of the moment, and vented and over exaggerated. Something we all do, just something you need to be careful about when you have such a large audience. At the same time, the park needs to have a better system if two places are giving you conflicting heights and different answers about whether you can ride or not.

So I definitely don't think he handled the situation well at first, but I don't think the park is completely free of blame either.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Superman on July 29th, 2014, 5:28 pm
Hank Salemi: "Alright Crew, today we're not letting any little girls ride Viper. I don't care if you have to push down on their heads to make them shorter! Do not let them on the ride! Who's with me?!?!"

RIde Ops: "Yeah!"
"Everyone, listen to me! These jerks killed Superboy. They've tried to kill us. Now they say they're going to tear this city apart. I say... like hell."
Superman

Postby aesthyrian on July 29th, 2014, 6:41 pm
:roll:

This entire thread. lol
aesthyrian

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 29th, 2014, 7:03 pm
Wow.

DejaVu2001

Postby ilrider on July 29th, 2014, 7:15 pm
^I had to reply to him about the Mt. Olympus ops being better. Couldn't keep quiet on that.
ilrider

Postby untalented893 on July 29th, 2014, 8:50 pm
I have to wonder how many parks other than SFGAm most of you have been too. I agree that he probably made a bigger deal out of it than needed (No one really knows the whole story) but our park really does have some of the worst employees. Of the many different parks I have been to most of them actually care and have good employees/customer service. Our park on the other hand has some of the worst customer service and employees I've encountered at any business, not just parks. While his story does seem a bit exaggerated, I also have to say that it is very possible that he has real reasons to be upset considering my past experiences with the parks employees/guest services.
untalented893

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 29th, 2014, 9:09 pm
I'd be interested to know your past stories because I've never had a problem with any of our employees. I'm not saying they're perfect but every time I've had a problem they've been helpful, and I can think of a number of times that employees have gone out of their way to be nice or helpful. Not saying we have the greatest employees ever, but definitely far from the worst.
DeathbyDinn

Postby tribar on July 29th, 2014, 9:16 pm
I agree, I have never had any problems with our employees. I would have to say CP and Mt Olympus have worse employees. At least our employees don't get on the microphone and start yelling at people to hurry up and get on the ride like CP's do.
tribar

Postby aesthyrian on July 29th, 2014, 10:06 pm
tribar wrote:At least our employees don't get on the microphone and start yelling at people to hurry up and get on the ride like CP's do.

A boy can still dream though, right? :D
aesthyrian

Postby sfgam-fan on July 30th, 2014, 1:03 am
He writes a theme park review blog doesn't understand height wristbands? If your kid is on the bubble, any informed guest (as he should be) would get a height wristband so she's not getting height checked at every 48 inch ride.

So either he doesn't understand how theme parks work, or he does understand and he's just trying to create some controversy.

1) Guests boo the employee for giving a height check, not the kid
2) Guests will boo other adults for making a scene and holding up the ride
3) Who else speaks to the park president when they are concerned about height checks? Isn't that simply a question for guest relations?

This guy wanted to post something juicy that would stir up traffic and (perhaps) keep his site relevant. He failed to obtain a height wristband for his daughter when he should know better, he said people were booing his daughter when that's not the way it works, and he (supposedly) got a quote from Hank to round off the post, when anyone in guest relations would do. What a tool.
sfgam-fan

Postby [jonrev] on July 30th, 2014, 5:06 am
I smell a sick publicity stunt...
[jonrev]

Postby tp41190 on July 30th, 2014, 8:42 am
tribar wrote:At least our employees don't get on the microphone and start yelling at people to hurry up and get on the ride like CP's do.

I don't see how this is a bad thing...

When at Cedar Point, we were trained that guests are cattle. They do no have a brain and will go to any open space they see. Once a guest goes over the causeway, their brain turns off.

But really, I wish more employees at SFGAm had Sas. To say a ride op needs to be up most friendly 100% of the time is like saying lifeguards should not be allowed to yell at a guest when they break a rule.
[read]
tp41190

Postby Muck Finnesota on July 30th, 2014, 11:55 am
tp41190 wrote:I don't see how this is a bad thing...To say a ride op needs to be up most friendly 100% of the time is like saying lifeguards should not be allowed to yell at a guest when they break a rule...

Agreed, and expanding on that a little (well, a lot)... I don't understand why so many people on coaster sites require park employees to be eternal reservoirs of joy and happiness. I find it incredible that this can actually make or break someone's day at the park. The extent of my interaction with employees at the park is typically with parking attendants, on the way in at the gate, and on the way out; I'll say hello and thank you. Beyond that, I've politely requested a row if they were being assigned on a ride, but this is more of a formality since I'll be riding in that row regardless and it's never a problem. I don't need some kid who I'll probably never see again that's getting paid close to minimum wage standing outside in the sun all day dealing with the world-class people that fill parks to smile at me like a frigging Cheshire Cat. Ride-Ops with microphones, to me, are just loud noise if they're going to be used for anything other than getting people on the train and secured. If I wanted a high school pep-rally, I'd go to a high school pep-rally. If I wanted awful stand-up comedy, I'd go see Dane Cook.

As for Twitter rants used solely to get your way, it's not the first time I've seen TPR do it. In this case, at least, it looks like it could have some validity to it, but it also appears they blew it way out of proportion. In general, I think bullying via social media to get your way a lame thing to do, and it's a great example of the "everyone is the star of their own reality show" attitude that has made our already classy culture even classier. I wish that mindset would go away, but it won't. At the same time, if more people had the amount of Twitter or Facebook followers that TPR does, don't think for a second that they wouldn't use it to their advantage, either. It would be great if management at a restaurant, airline, (or in this case) a park wouldn't shit themselves, drop everything they're doing, and bend over backwards as fast as possible to accommodate anyone who even hints at being unsatisfied with something. This stems from spineless middle managers who take the whole "one unhappy customer tells 10 friends" myth entirely too far.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 30th, 2014, 12:06 pm
lol. Booooo hoo. I'm sure the crew at Viper and the park president just had it in for you, out of all the Thousands of people that come through that park on a daily basis, they just had it in for you, lol. I've seen videos of this guy on youtube acting like a 5 year old, so I'm pretty sure he was causing a scene in the station and that's what the boo's were for.
Attachments
AF4_certified_drama_queen.jpg
AF4_certified_drama_queen.jpg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 12985 times
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby super7 on July 30th, 2014, 12:22 pm
This park is neglected and mis managed, but I agree, his post was a bunch of drama that he could have avoided by having his child get a wristband at the start of the day! Isn't this a theme park pro? I would never go on one of their trips knowing that they act like this at a theme park.
super7

Postby franksilk32 on July 30th, 2014, 4:40 pm
Not at all defending this guy but I have seen this year one specific attendant deny kids viper rides as they were slightly too short. My son has this happen to him by her once and ever since that day this spring I have him measured and a wristband put on saying he has cleared the 48" mark. There was even one time she wanted to measure him and he shoved the band in her face as he was so mad at her when she denied him to ride earlier in the season. He had ridden the viper prior to that incident as well as other 48" height rides. I think it is just the one chick who measures strange...
franksilk32

Postby diggerg56 on July 30th, 2014, 5:07 pm
untalented893 wrote:I have to wonder how many parks other than SFGAm most of you have been too. I agree that he probably made a bigger deal out of it than needed (No one really knows the whole story) but our park really does have some of the worst employees. Of the many different parks I have been to most of them actually care and have good employees/customer service. Our park on the other hand has some of the worst customer service and employees I've encountered at any business, not just parks. While his story does seem a bit exaggerated, I also have to say that it is very possible that he has real reasons to be upset considering my past experiences with the parks employees/guest services.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I've been to nine different parks this season (including 3 Six Flags parks) and by far the SF parks had the rudest employees and poorest examples of customer service. I would add that the SF parks also had the worst landscaping and overall appearance. That in itself doesn't generally affect me, since I'm usually by myself, but I do see constant examples of that just by observing. Overall training and customer service has really been slipping over the past few years.
"Heavily medicated for your safety"
diggerg56

Postby w00dland on July 31st, 2014, 5:41 pm
It's pretty interesting to see so much animosity against the park as this forum is usually so pro-SFGAm.

Of all the parks I've been to, SFGAm ranks somewhere in the bottom 25% in terms of staff engagement in my opinion. They aren't the worst (SFMM wins that title) but the park really doesn't compare with many of the other parks out there. I just spent the weekend at Cedar Point for the first time in four years and was blown away by their Operations (minus the whole Skyhawk thing...) Lines were flying, all coasters opened on time and were run with their full complement of trains, employees were doing their jobs efficiently and that goes a long way. Perhaps most importantly were the staffing levels - CP just does it right in terms of how many people run the rides and the lines on their major rides.

The last time I was at SFGAm I left during the parade and was actually pretty shocked by how everyone in the parade looked - the performers weren't smiling, (seriously?) the floats looked old and sad and even the costume characters looked tired which I didn't know was even possible. There were more smiles on the two trolleys of season pass holders than the rest of the staff.

Other parks with awesome customer service: Dollywood (!!!), Alton Towers and dare I say it, Disneyland.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum