Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 7:14 am
Tell me what you guys think about Goliath. Tell me what you like and don't like about it. I can tell you right now I think it looks awesome. I think it will become a fan favorite and my favorite ride at the park. I also think it will be my favorite roller coaster ever.

Post everything relating to Goliath 2014 here!- Galvan
Last edited by CoasterMike on June 16th, 2015, 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoasterMike

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on August 29th, 2013, 7:20 am
I wish it was longer, but I'm sure it will pack the punch. Not sure if it'll become my favorite since it doesn't have that many airtime hills, but it still is a solid addition for the park! Can't wait to ride it opening day :D
Jerrykoala2112

Postby Sharon29060 on August 29th, 2013, 7:42 am
A great addition to the park, that inverted drop looks amazing! I really can't wait! :D
Sharon29060

Postby voodoopug on August 29th, 2013, 8:40 am
Do we know the minimum height for Goliath yet? My kids are hoping it is a 48" minimum, but I'm guessing its a 54"?
voodoopug

Postby SFGAm#1Fan on August 29th, 2013, 8:49 am
For me, my favorite part of any coaster is that first drop! I'd say I just found my new favorite coaster in the park! :D
Can't live without Roller Coasters!
SFGAm#1Fan

Postby johnntay01 on August 29th, 2013, 9:17 am
okay I know from all the other preview videos that we see of the rides before they are built that they are close to showing you what the ride looks like so with that being said am i safe to assume that we are going to have a roller coaster that goes upside down that only has a lap bar because they are not showing a harness in the video
johnntay01

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 9:43 am
voodoopug wrote:Do we know the minimum height for Goliath yet? My kids are hoping it is a 48" minimum, but I'm guessing its a 54"?

Outlaw Run's is 48 inches so I would assume the same for this unless Six Flags wants to up it for whatever reason.
Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby voodoopug on August 29th, 2013, 9:44 am
GoBears wrote:
voodoopug wrote:Do we know the minimum height for Goliath yet? My kids are hoping it is a 48" minimum, but I'm guessing its a 54"?

Outlaw Run's is 48 inches so I would assume the same for this unless Six Flags wants to up it for whatever reason.

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense.
voodoopug

Postby Sporlo on August 29th, 2013, 9:46 am
It DOES look really short, but it should still be great.
Sporlo

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2013, 9:54 am
Even though fairly short, it looks so intense, I think we won't even think about ride time by the end of it. That is the feeling I get from those who rave about Outlaw Run. Keep in mind OR's ride time is just over a minute but everyone loves it. In the POV, the train is skipping part of the lift, too, so it will be a little longer than it looks.

I am in love with this thing just by the layout. I really have no complaints. I am so happy we got such an amazing coaster for our park and an RMC to boot. The elements on this thing are unreal!
ilrider

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 10:14 am
I appreciate all your comments so far. Please post more. I agree that the ride does seem fairly short however, it looks awesome and intense!
CoasterMike

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 10:52 am
I haven't been on an RMC yet but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I was upset that I couldn't go to SDC this year because gas is just too high right now but I'm thrilled it's coming to my home park!
GoBears

Postby Sporlo on August 29th, 2013, 11:05 am
Is there a master list for all the wood coasters with polyurethane wheels?
Have any wood coasters switched between steel/poly wheels without changing their track type?
Also, why are they not calling that south inversion a dive loop, instead using "180 0-G roll + inverted drop"? It's nearly a textbook dive loop... perhaps slightly more drawn out but not enough to warrant 2 named elements.
Sporlo

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 11:36 am
So ... yeah. I'm going to probably be the first one that isn't everything but positive here.

With X-Flight, I said from the beginning, "Oh, that's really cool," especially with the theming. Loved it from the announcement through the first ride and still love it today. Almost everything a coaster should be, save perhaps a little taller and longer.

With this, however, while I'm overjoyed we're getting a coaster and, well, something to fill Iron Wolf's spot, I'm holding onto my reservations a little more, and it really only has to do with one thing: The "inverted zero G stall," as outlined on the diagram on the front of this page. Yeah ... this element has me a little nervous.

I'm hoping it's just me, but when I showed the videos to my girlfriend before she left for work this morning, she was a little nervous, too. First off, not to rehash a topic from before, when she saw the coaster do that, before I even said anything to her, first thing she asked was, "Does it have the shoulder things?" (Obviously she's not a message-board denizen, relative to the terminology.)

"No," I said.

"I don't know if I like that," she moaned. "I don't want to fall out."

Now yes, some reassurance was in order that she won't fall out, but I can't help but wonder if others are going to think the same thing, especially after Texas. You hope that they try it once and it wins them over when they don't fall out. But yeah, she's already a little intimidated by it. Plus, even with OTSRs, she doesn't like "hanging" upside down (she hates King Chaos), so ... yeah. Going through loops and whatnot, fine. Hanging, no, and you do kind of "hang" in the stall. This isn't good for our odds to ride a bunch.

There's another thing I'm thinking as well, though: That's a rather long time to be inverted. This isn't just a loop or something like Batman or Orbit where you're upside down momentarily while you're traveling an arced path back towards being a**-under-teakettle. You're essentially upside down for a full couple of seconds, after you've been tossed about for 45. This allows everything to hang upside down and fall ... including hats, glasses, car keys and cell phones, yes, which you should secure before you ride anything but appear particularly vulnerable here (hopefully this will be made clear so the ride isn't constantly going down for people losing stuff). But I'm also thinking about the contents of your stomach. I'm hoping I'm just being a worrywart, but I'm a tad nervous about this thing becoming a stomach-upsetter or even a Vomit Comet, shaking everything up for the first part of the ride, then putting it right on line to come out of you during, or right after, this element.

I dunno. I'm somewhat placing my trust in RMC relative to all of this, saying, "You know, everyone likes their other coasters, so this should be fine, too." But all it takes is one bad element to ruin a coaster. Love the drop -- I'm OK with a big drop as long as the transition into it is smooth, and this one looks like it is. Love the tunnels. Love the overbanked turns. Love the dive loop. Love the airtime hills (almost a tribute to Turn of the Century's long-departed ones, rumored to have been legendary). Not so sure about the inverted stall.

I'm afraid we're just going to have to wait until we can ride the thing to find out.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby SFGAm Viper on August 29th, 2013, 11:37 am
It has lap bars for the one who asked.
SFGAm Viper

Postby Jackluver18 on August 29th, 2013, 11:55 am
I was at Media Day today and they said it's 3,100 ft and it's going to stretch a little further than IW did. It is a bit short at 90 seconds Hank said but with those inversions, speed and height....it's going to be a monster and I am super excited about it.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby CstrFan512 on August 29th, 2013, 12:06 pm
So by watching the video, and correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like RMC is going with I-Box for this coaster.
CstrFan512

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 12:19 pm
CstrFan512 wrote:So by watching the video, and correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like RMC is going with I-Box for this coaster.

It's definitely topper track. Even in the video you can see the top layer with an orange sort of color which is the steel but the bottom part is wood.
GoBears

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 12:23 pm
I strongly believe that when/once this brand new roller coaster opens, this will set a good example of longer roller coasters are not always better.
CoasterMike

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2013, 12:41 pm
Nobody is going to fall out of the coaster in that stall element. OTSR's are not required to restrain a rider while upside down, as has been proven on several rides over the years, dating all the way back to the '70s. The fear of the element is part of the thrill of the ride. I understand after the Texas Giant incident some people are on edge, but that was an issue of a rider being too big to be properly restrained. Also, those were on Gerstlauer trains, and I assume this ride is getting RMC trains. The time spent upside down in that element will be a lot quicker than it might look on the POV, as part of the time is spent transitioning fully into and out of the element. It will be just long enough to be very thrilling.
ilrider

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 29th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:I wish it was longer, but I'm sure it will pack the punch. Not sure if it'll become my favorite since it doesn't have that many airtime hills, but it still is a solid addition for the park! Can't wait to ride it opening day :D

I agree with you.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 29th, 2013, 1:01 pm
I guess it's only fair that something equally as intense or better than Iron Wolf get's planted on it's old stomping grounds just like it's only fair that Splashwater Falls, the County Fair Stage, and some Antique Cars were replaced similarly. The last time I was anywhere near as excited as I am today about a planned addition to a "local" park was 2005 for Sheikra at Busch Tampa. The last time I was anywhere near as excited as I am today about a planned addition to my "home" park was 2001 for V2 & Deja Vu. It's been a long 12 years.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 1:49 pm
ilrider wrote:Nobody is going to fall out of the coaster in that stall element ... The fear of the element is part of the thrill of the ride.

Obviously no one is going to fall out.

I guess this falls under the idea that certain types of thrills are more some to fun people than others. I sense this particular one may not be all that fun to my better half.

I feel like I've become the roller coaster equivalent of "If it's too loud, you're too old," only instead of "loud," it's thrilling. This one might be a little much for our 30-something souls.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby JimPanky on August 29th, 2013, 2:25 pm
Fastest, longest drop, steepest drop, RMC, overbanked turns, inverted drop, and best of all the first-of-it's-kind inverted zero-g stall.
JimPanky

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2013, 2:41 pm
^^Yeah, I understand. Some people don't want the intense elements that give the impression of being unsafe. I am 37, so as I age I find I don't need the near-death feelings on coasters to find them exciting as some desire. Viper and Eagle are probably my two favorite rides in the park, case in point. I am, though, very excited about an RMC beauty coming our way! I really like what the modern wooden coaster companies are doing with their rides.

I just wanted to reassure that it's safe, but you know that. That stall element will be pretty intense. I am intrigued what forces will be felt in it, whether it be the distinct sensation of hanging from the seat, or it will be more of a zero g feel. I am looking forward to it.
ilrider

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum