Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Jacklw6499 on September 13th, 2015, 9:44 pm
FParker185 wrote:gotta love Whizzer still making the top 50 list annually.

Absolutely! And to think that Great America was going to remove it for S:UF :roll:
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby jasonm on September 14th, 2015, 1:14 am
Goliath before it open fire and fire back stage = bad karma and all this year 2015 so many rides broken down look at sky trak tower i know there was a fire where it got stuck it has to do with bad karma
jasonm

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 14th, 2015, 1:42 am
^Um, what?

If you're referring to how 'low' Goliath got on the GTAs, I have 2 points:

1) Of all 177 wooden coasters(186 by 2016) in the world, getting 14th place is not bad at all.

2) The GTAs are inconsistent, overrated, and TPR/ACE-influenced forms of free publicity for amusement parks to show how 'good' their coasters are. Millennium Force getting Best Steel Coaster for 10 years now, and the fact that only 3 coasters have ever managed to get that title(Millennium Force, Magnum XL 200, and Bizarro/Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE) is all the proof you need.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Jacklw6499 on September 14th, 2015, 3:05 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:^Um, what?

If you're referring to how 'low' Goliath got on the GTAs, I have 2 points:

1) Of all 177 wooden coasters(186 by 2016) in the world, getting 14th place is not bad at all.

2) The GTAs are inconsistent, overrated, and TPR/ACE-influenced forms of free publicity for amusement parks to show how 'good' their coasters are. Millennium Force getting Best Steel Coaster for 10 years now, and the fact that only 3 coasters have ever managed to get that title(Millennium Force, Magnum XL 200, and Bizarro/Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE) is all the proof you need.

Goliath isn't ranked low whatsoever. Being in 14th place is awesome!
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 14th, 2015, 3:36 pm
^I know. I was saying how bad the GTAs are, and why 14th place is good.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on September 14th, 2015, 3:58 pm
jasonm wrote:Goliath before it open fire and fire back stage = bad karma and all this year 2015 so many rides broken down look at sky trak tower i know there was a fire where it got stuck it has to do with bad karma

http://www.grammar.com/
RollingCoasting

Postby Jacklw6499 on September 14th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:^I know. I was saying how bad the GTAs are, and why 14th place is good.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Agreed. GTA's aren't extremely accurate as to what the best coasters are. MF is a great ride but Fury should have taken #1. Also Maverick and Skyrush are too low on the list just because some people don't like the restraints.

Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 3:32 am
Let's all hope that Goliath doesn't have as many issues as it did last season. I went to the park exactly 15 times last year and besides the two times I went when Goliath was closed for a few weeks because of the lift hill issue, it was closed 3 other times after that due to technical and mechanical problems.
CoasterMike

Postby hoju74 on April 22nd, 2016, 7:20 am
What are the chances of 2 train operation this weekend ?
hoju74

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 7:25 am
hoju74 wrote:What are the chances of 2 train operation this weekend ?

It probably won't run with 2 trains this weekend! When I was working at the park last weekend the 2nd train wasn't anywhere near the ride. They may not have the 2nd train ready for a while.
CoasterMike

Postby hoju74 on April 22nd, 2016, 7:35 am
That's what I thought, but figured I would ask.
hoju74

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 7:53 am
I can tell you right now that the line for Goliath this weekend will be an absolute NIGHMARE! The line is certainly going to exceed 90 minutes, maybe even more! Don't expect a line shorter than an hour this weekend!
CoasterMike

Postby hoju74 on April 22nd, 2016, 8:31 am
CoasterMike wrote:I can tell you right now that the line for Goliath this weekend will be an absolute NIGHMARE! The line is certainly going to exceed 90 minutes, maybe even more! Don't expect a line shorter than an hour this weekend!

I expect nothing less...LOL
hoju74

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 8:35 am
hoju74 wrote:
CoasterMike wrote:I can tell you right now that the line for Goliath this weekend will be an absolute NIGHMARE! The line is certainly going to exceed 90 minutes, maybe even more! Don't expect a line shorter than an hour this weekend!

I expect nothing less...LOL

I won't be riding Goliath until it's running at full capacity! The line just gets extremely long and slow that's it's just not worth it.
CoasterMike

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 22nd, 2016, 9:32 am
Just to lower everyone's expectations, there was a crane at Goliath's lift hill.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 9:53 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Just to lower everyone's expectations, there was a crane at Goliath's lift hill.

NOT GOOD! When was this?
CoasterMike

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 22nd, 2016, 10:38 am
The past 3 days. One day was near the actual lift mechanism, the other 2 were near the joint where the first vertical support meets the lift structure. I hope it's just maintenance.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 10:41 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:The past 3 days. One day was near the actual lift mechanism, the other 2 were near the joint where the first vertical support meets the lift structure. I hope it's just maintenance.

Huh that's odd! I hope it's just routine maintenance as well however, that kind of maintenance should've been done before testing started correct?
CoasterMike

Postby Viper 88 on April 22nd, 2016, 10:48 am
You'd think, but who knows. That lift chain issue sounded pretty serious in the forums. reverberation could have damaged the structure, especially if the metal was heat treated wrong.
Viper 88

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 10:49 am
Viper 88 wrote:You'd think, but who knows. That lift chain issue sounded pretty serious in the forums. reverberation could have damaged the structure, especially if the metal was heat treated wrong.

I'm sorry, but what lift chain issue are you referring to? Because now we are not 100% what they are doing now.
CoasterMike

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 22nd, 2016, 10:56 am
I think he's referring to the one where the upper sprocket broke off. It explains the reason why they were at the top of the lift.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2016, 10:59 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:I think he's referring to the one where the upper sprocket broke off. It explains the reason why they were at the top of the lift.

I don't know how often the ride information status gets updated on this site, but it still says Goliath is OPEN, but it's at reduced capacity with the ride only running one train.
CoasterMike

Postby Viper 88 on April 23rd, 2016, 12:26 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:I think he's referring to the one where the upper sprocket broke off. It explains the reason why they were at the top of the lift.

Exactly what I was talking about.
Viper 88

Postby CoasterMike on April 23rd, 2016, 9:51 pm
Goliath was running with TWO trains today! The added the second train onto the ride around 1:00pm!
CoasterMike

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 23rd, 2016, 10:05 pm
It was running two since opening... I was on the first train of the season, so I know. :p

Guy_With_A_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum