Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JimPanky on August 29th, 2013, 2:44 pm
JimPanky

Postby JimPanky on August 29th, 2013, 2:49 pm
This is SFGAm's first RMC right?
JimPanky

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 2:55 pm
JimPanky wrote:Fastest, longest drop, steepest drop, RMC, overbanked turns, inverted drop, and best of all the first-of-it's-kind inverted zero-g stall.

That inverted zero-g-stall looks beast! It looks very intense/extreme!
CoasterMike

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 2:55 pm
JimPanky wrote:This is SFGAm's first RMC right?

Yep, in fact this is the 2nd RMC built from scratch after Outlaw Run I believe. NTG, IR, and MSC are all RMC's too but those were already there and just received the Iron Horse treatment.
Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby JimPanky on August 29th, 2013, 3:00 pm
How many inversions does this have? I cant tell if it 2 or 3.
JimPanky

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 3:02 pm
JimPanky wrote:How many inversions does this have? I cant tell if it 2 or 3.

2 inversions.
GoBears

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 29th, 2013, 3:12 pm
I'm in love with the ride, and I cannot wait to see the trains traversing the SFGAm skyline, much less ride it. It will be a thing of beauty, no doubt! I've never been on any other "Goliath" coaster in the chain, but with the spartan this logo seems to be different at least, although I do believe a coaster this unique should have it's own unique name.

One thing that I think is being overlooked is what I believe will be the really awesome near-miss head-chopper parts of the ride where the support structures are whizzing by almost squeezing through this elaborate wooden scaffolding. Between the 85 degree drop, the speed, the one-of-a-kind elements, the tunnels and the structure itself, I'm having a coastergasm over here! :P
AirTimeDaz

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 3:44 pm
Seems like a lot of people are excited about Goliath. I can't wait till it opens. I honestly think that this ride will not be open to the public on opening day. The reason why I say this is because, as far as I know (Please correct me if I'm wrong) RMC roller coasters take a long time to build, and a long time to test. Another factor is because in the winter time when we get snow, it can/could affect the construction process.

Also I have a question for you all, Do you think this ride will be better than El Toro or Outlaw Run? I honestly think it will not be better than those two rides however, I have a feeling that this ride may be the top three wooden roller coaster. Please let me know what you think. I am really enjoying reading your comments on this form. You guys are great and fun people! :D

Thank You All! :D
CoasterMike

Postby JimPanky on August 29th, 2013, 3:46 pm
I do think it will top those.
JimPanky

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm
CoasterMike wrote:Seems like a lot of people are excited about Goliath. I can't wait till it opens. I honestly think that this ride will not be open to the public on opening day. The reason why I say this is because, as far as I know (Please correct me if I'm wrong) RMC roller coasters take a long time to build, and a long time to test. Another factor is because in the winter time when we get snow, it can/could affect the construction process.

Also I have a question for you all, Do you think this ride will be better than El Toro or Outlaw Run? I honestly think it will not be better than those two rides however, I have a feeling that this ride may be the top three wooden roller coaster. Please let me know what you think. I am really enjoying reading your comments on this form. You guys are great and fun people! :D

Thank You All! :D

If I'm not mistaken, the park opens in the spring, but the sfgam facebook post has "Coming Summer 2014" on the photo, so looks like it's doubtful that it will be operating opening day.
AirTimeDaz

Postby kossdude1 on August 29th, 2013, 3:54 pm
Jackluver18 wrote:I was at Media Day today and they said it's 3,100 ft and it's going to stretch a little further than IW did. It is a bit short at 90 seconds Hank said but with those inversions, speed and height....it's going to be a monster and I am super excited about it.

Hank told me in an interview that they're going to rename and retime Mporium.

Gary Pohlmann told me some of the support structure will go on the other side of the railroad tracks.
Consecutive Trips Riding X Flight: 92
SFGAm Lifetime Trips: 104

kossdude1

Postby BBH on August 29th, 2013, 4:10 pm
GoBears wrote:

2 inversions.

There are actually three.

Inverted top hat - Zero-G stall - Dive loop

It's a shame there's only one airtime hill but it looks like some killer ejector.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 4:16 pm
ilrider wrote:That stall element will be pretty intense. I am intrigued what forces will be felt in it, whether it be the distinct sensation of hanging from the seat, or it will be more of a zero g feel. I am looking forward to it.

I'm kind of hoping for zero-G. If that's the case, I think we'll have a winner. If it feels like you're hanging, I can almost guarantee you that once will be enough for us.

CoasterMike wrote:I honestly think that this ride will not be open to the public on opening day. The reason why I say this is because, as far as I know (Please correct me if I'm wrong) RMC roller coasters take a long time to build, and a long time to test.

I'm assuming they're going to use some variation of the laser-cut, plug-and-play method they used with El Toro, which was lauded for being very fast construction-wise since much of the work was done off-site and just basically required assembly at the park. They make El Toro sound like it was basically a jigsaw puzzle with bolts, which is pretty different from what wood coasters used to be like.

Honestly, I'm anticipating a schedule akin to that of X-Flight's.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 4:18 pm
BBH wrote:
GoBears wrote:

2 inversions.

There are actually three.

Inverted top hat - Zero-G stall - Dive loop

It's a shame there's only one airtime hill but it looks like some killer ejector.

I thought originally that it was 3 but then I saw on SFGAm's website that there are 2 inversions. Maybe they meant you will go completely upside down twice.
GoBears

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 4:21 pm
GoBears wrote:I thought originally that it was 3 but then I saw on SFGAm's website that there are 2 inversions. Maybe they meant you will go completely upside down twice.

I think the top hat is considered an overbanked turn, not an inversion, per se.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 4:33 pm
PfightingPolish wrote:
GoBears wrote:I thought originally that it was 3 but then I saw on SFGAm's website that there are 2 inversions. Maybe they meant you will go completely upside down twice.

I think the top hat is considered an overbanked turn, not an inversion, per se.

Hank Salemi said at the event this morning that Goliath will have 2 inversions.
GoBears

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 29th, 2013, 4:36 pm
CoasterMike wrote:
Also I have a question for you all, Do you think this ride will be better than El Toro or Outlaw Run?

I can't speak for any of the existing Rocky Mountain examples because I haven't ridden any (sans Georgia Cyclone, which received a partial Topper Track rework last I rode it), but El Toro (and similarly, The Voyage- my two gold standards for wood) seem more about launching you upwards and out of your seat on their numerous hills- these look like they make their money with a weird combination of simultaneous lateral and negative forces (perhaps more akin to an exaggerated take on Voyage's return run). I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it will be an apples to apples comparison.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Does anyone know if this will be a pre-fabricated wooden roller coaster like El Toro?
CoasterMike

Postby monsterfan99 on August 29th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Looks like I need to look at flights into Milwaukee or Chicago. Looks amazing and a perfect addition to the park.
monsterfan99

Postby Galvan on August 29th, 2013, 5:08 pm
You do realize that you will be going close to 70MPH though that inversion right?
Galvan

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Galvan316 wrote:You do realize that you will be going close to 70MPH though that inversion right?

The last one? I will think it will have slowed down some by then. Granted, it's just a sim, but it looks like it moves kind of slowly through the last one. X-Flight looked slower than it feels in the B-roll, too, though.

Like I say, I'm reserving some judgement until we can actually, you know, ride it.
Last edited by PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby GoBears on August 29th, 2013, 5:20 pm
Goliath also uses polyurethane wheels so it'll absorb a bit more energy but it will still be blazing fast throughout the whole ride I imagine.
GoBears

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 5:53 pm
I personally think it will be the BEST roller coaster at SFGAm. I think this ride will have more success than Outlaw Run at SDC, Iron Rattler at SFFT, and El Toro (By far my favorite coaster in the world as of now) at SFGA just because it will have that EXTREME zero-g- stall and have a dive loop. That first drop is going to probably be the most INTENSE drop on a wooden roller coaster as well. I can't wait till it opens up in the summer of next year!
Goliath72165

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 5:55 pm
CoasterMike wrote:Does anyone know if this will be a pre-fabricated wooden roller coaster like El Toro?

I hope so. If not this ride will get a lot of wear and tear. It will be more rickety because of how fast the train will be going.
Goliath72165

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 5:57 pm
Goliath72165 wrote:I hope so. If not this ride will get a lot of wear and tear. It will be more rickety because of how fast the train will be going.

As an aside, I actually kind of enjoyed The Boss when we were in St. Louis.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum