Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 2013 Updates 9/14 Update

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby steve0145 on February 26th, 2013, 11:17 am
I would of hoped that they would have used them someplace else in the park.
Take a look at my YouTube channel all about Six flags Shows and actors https://www.youtube.com/steve0145
steve0145

Postby Ace on February 26th, 2013, 10:12 pm
^Where else in the park would you use ticket booths?
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Postby FParker185 on February 27th, 2013, 12:11 am
besides that, I don't think they could have been moved without extreme cost. They are/were cast concrete. Besides that they were in pretty bad shape, you could see even on the outside that most of the wood was rotted and paint peeling everywhere which allows moisture in causing all sorts of unseen damage.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby NightRider785 on February 27th, 2013, 1:18 am
Gonna look strange there this season with those gone... I don't remember anything else ever being there. What year were those ticket booths put in?
NightRider785

Postby PfightingPolish on February 27th, 2013, 1:37 am
On the one hand, part of Great America's charm is the fact that a significant amount of the infastructure from the Marriott era, and all the attention to detail that went into designing the park in the first place, is still around. I'm no architecture expert, but Carousel Plaza, Hometown Square, County Fair and, to a certain extent, Yankee Harbor all kind of have sort of a Queen Anne, Stick-style theme to them (I had to do some Googling to figure that out), with the wood latticework and decorative roof facades and whatnot. Throw in some bright colors and plenty of red, white and blue you have something that both feels like a nod to history and fun at the same time.

The gates fit that so well and it's kind of sad to see them go. No way Six Flags would take the time to construct anything that detailed now.

On the other hand, if they were rotting and falling apart, they were rotting and falling apart and something had to be done. And it sounds like moving or fixing them was cost prohibitive. Plus, it sounds like the new gates will be more modern and might move entry along a little faster. What'cha gonna do.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby FParker185 on February 27th, 2013, 2:24 am
The ticket booths were original to the park.
FParker185

Postby NightRider785 on February 27th, 2013, 4:59 pm
I kinda figured they were. Too bad that repair wasn't an opinion.
NightRider785

Postby FParker185 on February 27th, 2013, 10:18 pm
I think part of it is that the concept of tickets being sold at parks is outdated. If I had to take a guess, I'd say probably less than 20% of people buy their tickets at the park, especially with a $20+ savings simply by buying a ticket ahead of time on the SF website. Though it's under the guise of a new coaster, you'll notice Cedar Point is doing the exact same thing, getting rid of all the ticket booths in favor of a more out of the way sales building.
FParker185

Postby DeathbyDinn on February 27th, 2013, 10:57 pm
I'm hoping that that the new metal detectors will have some sort of cover that is reminiscent of the ticket booths.I'm worried that they'll pull a classic Six Flags and just do whatever's cheapest than spending a little to make it look nice.
DeathbyDinn

Postby PfightingPolish on February 28th, 2013, 1:53 am
FParker185 wrote:I think part of it is that the concept of tickets being sold at parks is outdated. If I had to take a guess, I'd say probably less than 20% of people buy their tickets at the park, especially with a $20+ savings simply by buying a ticket ahead of time on the SF website.

True, but I still think you could have found purposes for the structures. Keep a couple manned ticket booths, sure, but maybe convert a couple to automated ticketing kiosks, or interactive park information & data centers. Maybe have one or two devoted to platinum pass processing. Imagine getting your pass processed before you even go in the park -- I bet families who have kids who are excited to go ride stuff and would rather not wait in line inside the park for a picture and a piece of plastic might love that.

If they weren't in such bad shape, I think enterprising minds could have found a use for them. But, poor maintenance and upkeep, along with a lack of ingenuity in that regard, equals the picture on the last page.

DeathbyDinn wrote:I'm hoping that that the new metal detectors will have some sort of cover that is reminiscent of the ticket booths.I'm worried that they'll pull a classic Six Flags and just do whatever's cheapest than spending a little to make it look nice.

Your hopes. Don't get them up.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby FParker185 on February 28th, 2013, 4:24 am
Well in the new entrance plaza there will be a new multiple-window single-queue ticket sales area which technically should be more efficient.

In the end I think it's more important to preserve what's inside the park that everyone sees often rather than what's outside the park that technically is seen once and that's all. Plus now they can have more metal detectors then they have gates which allows for higher throughput, and they can open the checkpoint before the park and get everyone scanned ahead of time so when the park opens it's a simple matter of scanning a ticket and allowing admittance rather than each line moving really slow due to people having to be scanned after showing their admission.

Also after 1999 when they town down the fairly transparent wrought iron gates to the park and built their plywood palace entrance, I don't think anyone noticed anymore that the ticket booths were built in the exact same style as Columbia Carousel, so that aspect was rendered a moot point. The whole entrance plaza was no longer a "part" of carousel plaza.
FParker185

Postby steve0145 on February 28th, 2013, 10:05 am
It would have been nice to save the two end one's just to get the theming started for the park. I am sure there will be no theme with the new system. I real hope it does not look like a entrance to a prison or some factory entrance.
Take a look at my YouTube channel all about Six flags Shows and actors https://www.youtube.com/steve0145
steve0145

Postby PfightingPolish on February 28th, 2013, 1:58 pm
FParker185 wrote:In the end I think it's more important to preserve what's inside the park that everyone sees often rather than what's outside the park that technically is seen once and that's all.

The entrance is the first thing you see that you consider "park," so making a first impression that is consistent with your park's brand would make sense. And yes, while you only see it twice (on the way in and on the way out), it's the first and last thing you see, so it leaves a lasting impression. But, again, you're right on the efficiency and experience ultimately being better, so I won't say it shouldn't have been done -- it was time for an upgrade, no doubt. Just a bit of a bummer, that's all.

steve0145 wrote:I real hope it does not look like a entrance to a prison or some factory entrance.

If it's understated, then you probably will just get a good view of Columbia and Carousel Plaza, which is picturesque enough. I think it'll be OK.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby DeathbyDinn on March 9th, 2013, 6:45 pm
Well there's at least one ride getting painted! :lol:
Attachments
yogi.jpg
DeathbyDinn

Postby PfightingPolish on April 7th, 2013, 8:21 pm
Surprised this made it to the Facebook site but not here yet:

The new entrance ... I actually have some hope for it.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby gottastrata33 on April 11th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Whoa Superman looks dark, as in repainted... I havent been on here in almost a year so is this true or am I actin a fool?! ;)
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Coaster Justin on April 11th, 2013, 8:12 pm
It's fresh paint compared to Six Flags Over Georgia. Their Superman is more Pink than red. Looks more like Penelope Pitstop- Ultimate Flight than Superman.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby PfightingPolish on April 12th, 2013, 10:39 am
Coaster Justin wrote:Looks more like Penelope Pitstop- Ultimate Flight than Superman.

If there was a Facebook-esque 'Like' button here, I would like this post, just for the chuckle that such an obscure reference brought to my being.

Bravo, sir.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby Coaster Justin on April 12th, 2013, 12:52 pm
PfightingPolish wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:Looks more like Penelope Pitstop- Ultimate Flight than Superman.

If there was a Facebook-esque 'Like' button here, I would like this post, just for the chuckle that such an obscure reference brought to my being.

Bravo, sir.

It was the only Pink character I could think of. Either that or Mr. Bubbles Ultimate Flight

Coaster Justin

Postby Goku1910 on April 14th, 2013, 8:01 pm
PfightingPolish wrote:Surprised this made it to the Facebook site but not here yet:

The new entrance ... I actually have some hope for it.

Photoshop fakery. Superman is "too red"
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby CMV on April 14th, 2013, 10:24 pm
The layout actually looks interesting in that shot. Too bad we know better.
Twitter: @cmvenom

Mean Streak gave me the cancer.
CMV

Postby DeathbyDinn on April 19th, 2013, 5:20 pm
There will be an exclusive showing of Screams and Dreams 3 at 12pm for season pass holders opening day.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Coaster Justin on April 19th, 2013, 8:56 pm
I'll run to that after Batman Backwards.

Coaster Justin

Postby ZForce Rider on April 21st, 2013, 11:53 am
PfightingPolish wrote:The entrance is the first thing you see that you consider "park," so making a first impression that is consistent with your park's brand would make sense. And yes, while you only see it twice (on the way in and on the way out), it's the first and last thing you see, so it leaves a lasting impression. But, again, you're right on the efficiency and experience ultimately being better, so I won't say it shouldn't have been done -- it was time for an upgrade, no doubt. Just a bit of a bummer, that's all.
This is a great statement and I whole-heartedly agree. It's sad to see those original booths being bulldozed. Something more efficient was needed, but you have to consider that those booths were original to the park when it was built. Hopefully they do something to pay homage to the original style. Marriott was about the whole guest experience and creating an environment to be immersed in. That type of thinking is long gone. I'd bet money the target demographic today could care less what the entrance or anything else looks like.
ZForce Rider

Postby FParker185 on April 21st, 2013, 1:28 pm
While not the target demographic, the majority of the demographic that goes... If they can't vandalize it in some way shape or form, then they have little to no interest in it.
FParker185

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum