Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New Ride(s) for 2014

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JimPanky on August 20th, 2013, 11:09 am
Well yeah the skyscreamer would have to be under 125ft which is possible but not likely.
JimPanky

Postby kossdude1 on August 20th, 2013, 12:41 pm
I extremely doubt that they'll place a skyscreamer in RCs spot, just because it has plenty of room to accommodate a smaller coaster. If anyplace, I can see it fitting Yukon Territory or Orleans Place. Remember, all we need is a 52 foot diameter for it to be erected.
kossdude1

Postby Brewersdawg828 on August 20th, 2013, 12:55 pm
I was at the park yesterday and as I was leaving hank was saying goodbye to everyone and I asked if the coaster rumors were true and he said there is a good chance
Brewersdawg828

Postby tp41190 on August 20th, 2013, 2:09 pm
kossdude1 wrote:I extremely doubt that they'll place a skyscreamer in RCs spot, just because it has plenty of room to accommodate a smaller coaster. If anyplace, I can see it fitting Yukon Territory or Orleans Place. Remember, all we need is a 52 foot diameter for it to be erected.

I don't think the park will be adding another small coaster of that size anytime soon. It would make the most sense to just put it there since everything is all set up for a ride already. Although if Orbit comes out (I thought I saw a rumor about that a while back), that would also be a pretty good spot.

As far as the new coaster rumors, I wonder what type of coaster this will actually be. If it is going to be a Texas Giant or Iron Rattle style, I really hope they are not going to be marketing the ride as a wooden coaster.
[read]
tp41190

Postby gottastrata33 on August 20th, 2013, 2:25 pm
I saw him sayin goodbye to everyone as well! ;D but why ask him a question that he wont truly answer? haha

& why wouldnt you want this to be marketed as a wooden coaster? Cause you're afraid people will think its automatically old & "shakey"? Were in the next generation of woodies. If it's RMC, theyll realize they underestimated the ride with those doubts.

Lets leave out the unfortunate tragedy a couple weeks ago but, lets see what negative comments I've heard in or at the park(s)/in line, online or seen(written) from the three RMC coasters already out there:

the New Texas Giant - hmm nothing.
Iron Rattler - too short & well, yep, nothing.
Outlaw Run - hmmm....oh yeah, NOTHING!
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby GoBears on August 20th, 2013, 2:34 pm
^He doesn't want them to market it as a wooden coaster if it's like IR and NTG because those two aren't wooden coasters. Iron Rattler and NTG are steel coasters, not wood. An RMC like Outlaw however is labeled a wooden coaster because it still uses wood track with the top couple layers having the topper on it.
Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby scottydoesknow on August 20th, 2013, 3:18 pm
GoBears wrote:^He doesn't want them to market it as a wooden coaster if it's like IR and NTG because those two aren't wooden coasters. Iron Rattler and NTG are steel coasters, not wood. An RMC like Outlaw however is labeled a wooden coaster because it still uses wood track with the top couple layers having the topper on it.

Exactly.

The new roller coaster at Great America is going to be a wooden coaster. Not a "hybrid" or a steel coaster, but a wooden coaster. The end.
Scott Schaffer

SFGAm World's official YouTube producer
@upstopmedia

Goliath rides: 60
scottydoesknow

Postby gottastrata33 on August 20th, 2013, 3:46 pm
Well that went over my head, thats true but to market it as a steel/wood/hybrid etc is most likely what would happen if it was like IR/TG. (I aint callin Texas Giant that BS TPR name).

Yes, Ive had all that topper track of IR vs Outlaw Run aspects explained to me. But whos to say it wont be a hybrid? Either way, Im down for either. RMC is a great company. Praise Alan Schilke ;D
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 20th, 2013, 3:48 pm
tp41190 wrote:As far as the new coaster rumors, I wonder what type of coaster this will actually be. If it is going to be a Texas Giant or Iron Rattle style, I really hope they are not going to be marketing the ride as a wooden coaster.

You have a point. Originally, I thought no because the article says fastest wooden roller coaster, but Six Flags marketed Texas Giant as having some certain "BEST" wooden roller coaster statistics, but it's truly a steel track.

"The legendary new Texas Giant delivers beyond vertical banked turns and the world's steepest drop. This new super hybrid boasts a state-of-the-art track of steel fabrication, with the steepest drop of any wooden coaster at 79°. The lift hill is 10 feet taller than the original Texas Giant.

The new ride also has a record-breaking bank of 95°, steeper than any other wooden coaster on the planet."
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby rizash on August 20th, 2013, 4:53 pm
What makes a coaster wooden these days? If its wood structure but steel track.. is it wood? If they use steel structure but wood track is it steel? What about steel structure steel track but wooden coaster type cars (ie:like eagle). I am really stoked to see what were getting. I would love ANY coaster as long as it is unique and an epic high energy and pace coaster.
rizash

Postby tp41190 on August 20th, 2013, 4:59 pm
I am totally cool with whatever they do decide to build. I thought Texas Giant was a great ride and it would be awesome to have that type of ride at SFGAm. But for me, I still have the issue with what the coaster is considered to be. Who knows, maybe this is just the last bit of inner nerd left in my body, but calling this a wooden coaster is pretty lame. It reminds me of all the other stuff Six Flags has marketed their new coasters to be. Full Throttle and Dare Devil Dive at SFOG had the false marketing before they just made the "records" sound ridiculous.

It's ridiculous, but I care more about the possible false marketing instead of the ride itself.
[read]
tp41190

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 20th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Iron Horse = Steel
Topper Track = Wood

There.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Superman on August 20th, 2013, 6:51 pm
I disagree with you^. The ride is still made out of wood, so it is a wooden coaster. What were really looking at here is the next generation of wooden coasters, so I think they should be called exactly that. In contrast, older coasters without the topper track or iron horse should just be called classic coasters.
"Everyone, listen to me! These jerks killed Superboy. They've tried to kill us. Now they say they're going to tear this city apart. I say... like hell."
Superman

Postby BBH on August 20th, 2013, 6:57 pm
Superman wrote:I disagree with you^. The ride is still made out of wood, so it is a wooden coaster. What were really looking at here is the next generation of wooden coasters, so I think they should be called exactly that. In contrast, older coasters without the topper track or iron horse should just be called classic coasters.

Okay, so Gravity Group's woodies on steel supports are the next generation of steel coasters, then.

If a ride has steel track, it is a steel coaster, regardless of whether it is supported by wood or steel or giant beanstalks.

The same goes for wood track.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby GoBears on August 20th, 2013, 7:05 pm
^Exactly. RMC also said directly at IAAPA that their Iron Horse track is in fact considered a steel coaster, even if the supports are still wood. It's the track that you experience while riding a roller coaster which classifies a ride as wood or steel, not the supports.
GoBears

Postby Sporlo on August 20th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Technically, all wood coasters are steel, because the place where the car touches the ride is always steel.
Traditionally though, there is wood physically between the top and bottom wheels. However, with Topper Track, there is zero wood physically between any wheels. So if you wanted to get technical, the laminated wood below the Topper Track is simply part of the support system for the fully steel track.

Actually I know nothing about roller coasters, so I'm not sure if there is steel plating for the bottom wheels or not (for traditional woodies). I am assuming there is.
Sporlo

Postby BBH on August 20th, 2013, 7:11 pm
Sporlo wrote:Technically, all wood coasters are steel, because the place where the car touches the ride is always steel.
Traditionally though, there is wood physically between the top and bottom wheels. However, with Topper Track, there is zero wood physically between any wheels. So if you wanted to get technical, the laminated wood below the Topper Track is simply part of the support system for the fully steel track.

The strucutral stack that the coaster track is made out of is made of wood, it's just a steel rail that the wheels ride on. Wood coasters have always been this way, there's nothing technical about the term.

Topper track is a traditional wood laminated stack, but with the steel rail expanded to cover the part of the track where the wheels run. It's still made out of a wood stack, just with a metal shell.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby SFGAm Viper on August 20th, 2013, 7:20 pm
Oh god I knew this was going to come up. It's really simple.

GCI = wood
Intamin wood = wood
GG = wood
RMC Topper = wood
RMC Iron Horse = steel
Gemini @ CP (Just for fun and comparisons sake) = steel

It's that easy.
SFGAm Viper

Postby Sporlo on August 20th, 2013, 7:34 pm
BBH wrote:
Sporlo wrote:Technically, all wood coasters are steel, because the place where the car touches the ride is always steel.

The strucutral stack that the coaster track is made out of is made of wood, it's just a steel rail that the wheels ride on. Wood coasters have always been this way, there's nothing technical about the term.

Topper track is a traditional wood laminated stack, but with the steel rail expanded to cover the part of the track where the wheels run. It's still made out of a wood stack, just with a metal shell.

I still can't tell from looking at RMC's website that there is wood inside the steel shell. They make it look like it is 100% steel.
http://rockymtnconstruction.com/
Tell me from reading the description and looking at their images that they make it clear that the steel shell is in fact filled with wood.
"Track is filled with our non-shrink design mix." What the heck does that mean? Would they call laminated wood "non-shrink design mix"? Is it a rubber-like material?
http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/images/topper02.jpg
Does that angle of the holes in the track make it look like there is wood inside the steel shell?
Last edited by Sporlo on August 20th, 2013, 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sporlo

Postby GoBears on August 20th, 2013, 7:38 pm
Now that we have that cleared up. :D Less than 24 hours until we hopefully find out what type of wooden coaster this will be exactly. Maybe a few statistics that Hank will present to the board as well.
GoBears

Postby rizash on August 20th, 2013, 7:49 pm
This is the coaster nut version of the conversation where I have to convince people that wooden coasters have bottom wheels.
rizash

Postby FParker185 on August 20th, 2013, 8:20 pm
There is no wood inside the topper of topper track, it's hollow steel at installation. I understand it's filled with cement after being installed.

Topper track offers no structural support what so ever, it's simply a means to maintain exact exact track guage, 100% of the support is offered by the wooden laminates under the topper track. I'd still consider it a wood coaster, just with thicker road steel. The topper is actually connected to the track ties with a sort of hinge(single bolt, 90 degree angle) rendering the topper incapable of supporting any weight on it's own. Without the wooden trackbed underneath, the rails would simply fold inward and the train would fall off the tracks. This pic shows it pretty decent, you can also see the cement overflow all over the before it washed away.

Also for regular wood coasters, there is upstop steel only where needed (airtime spots and lifthill), if you ride in the front row of a woodie and you see bolts sticking up out of the top of the track, that's for the upstop steel.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Sporlo on August 20th, 2013, 8:32 pm
FParker185 wrote:There is no wood inside the topper of topper track, it's hollow steel at installation. I understand it's filled with cement after being installed.

Topper track offers no structural support what so ever, it's simply a means to maintain exact exact track guage, 100% of the support is offered by the wooden laminates under the topper track. I'd still consider it a wood coaster, just with thicker road steel. The topper is actually connected to the track ties with a sort of hinge(single bolt, 90 degree angle) rendering the topper incapable of supporting any weight on it's own. Without the wooden trackbed underneath, the rails would simply fold inward and the train would fall off the tracks. This pic shows it pretty decent, you can also see the cement overflow all over the before it washed away.

Also for regular wood coasters, there is upstop steel only where needed (airtime spots and lifthill), if you ride in the front row of a woodie and you see bolts sticking up out of the top of the track, that's for the upstop steel.

Thank you for a great explanation and addressing everything I brought up, and for generally being smart enough and gracious enough to do both of those things.
Sporlo

Postby jkaminsky13 on August 20th, 2013, 8:34 pm
jkaminsky13

Postby Sporlo on August 20th, 2013, 9:03 pm
jkaminsky13 wrote:Probablly has been posted... but
https://twitter.com/briphotoguy/status/ ... 28/photo/1

Posted on Page 28 :)
Sporlo

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum