Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New for 2013: igNIGHT: Grand Finale

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby w00dland on August 30th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Assuming the fireworks are high-ish quality this should be a great addition for 2013. It will really draw crowds away from the rest of the coasters more than a glow parade could in the past, so coaster dorks will get walk ons galore.

While I think we can expect other small changes for 2013, this is certainly the biggest one money wise for the park.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2012, 10:09 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:Not a new ride, but maybe something backwards?

How about V2 backwards first? Sounds stupid, but at SFStL, they had Mr. Freeze go backwards first, and forwards second, so why not V2. Backwards spiral. By now, I really don't expect anything grand because they would have said in today's announcement. Seems like they are just trying to appease the people that are disappointed.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Necropolis on August 31st, 2012, 12:36 am
Well another parade like the Glow in the Dark parade. Im glad to hear that park is doing something visually stimulating. Also pyro-technics? Now that is pretty BA. Fire at the park! haha I was used to seeing that only during FF. I wonder if 2013 will be the only year for this, but if they are remodeling Hometown Square, then this has to be a permanent thing right? What would be the purpose of remodeling everything for one year?

Like someone mentioned, I am a coaster dork and am glad to hear this can maybe lure people away from the coasters! At least once you've seen the parade once, you've seen it all. :lol: Well, I did not read all the posts in good detail but when will this start? Im not even sure if all the details are up yet...I mean 2012 isn't even over yet. Guess we will have to wait maybe months until this is all out there. But anyways glad to hear the park is getting something for 2013! Better than nothing, as well as the return of East River Crawler!

Considering how the park is budgeting their money this is a great addition in all aspects bringing both families and curious spectators from all walks of life together to reminisce in this spectacular sounding event! Cannot wait to see this! :P

((Btw I thought I saw the background at the top of the page change blue to black and have fireworks in the background?? Am I correct??))
Necropolis

Postby monsterfan99 on August 31st, 2012, 2:35 am
w00dland wrote:Assuming the fireworks are high-ish quality this should be a great addition for 2013.

I was thinking the same thing. Would there be issues with local residents over noise of fireworks nightly?
monsterfan99

Postby CoasterNick3157 on August 31st, 2012, 11:56 am
Of course they always complain.
CoasterNick3157

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 31st, 2012, 1:42 pm
Necropolis wrote:Well another parade like the Glow in the Dark parade. Im glad to hear that park is doing something visually stimulating. Also pyro-technics? Now that is pretty BA. Fire at the park! haha I was used to seeing that only during FF. I wonder if 2013 will be the only year for this, but if they are remodeling Hometown Square, then this has to be a permanent thing right? What would be the purpose of remodeling everything for one year?

Like someone mentioned, I am a coaster dork and am glad to hear this can maybe lure people away from the coasters! At least once you've seen the parade once, you've seen it all. :lol: Well, I did not read all the posts in good detail but when will this start? Im not even sure if all the details are up yet...I mean 2012 isn't even over yet. Guess we will have to wait maybe months until this is all out there. But anyways glad to hear the park is getting something for 2013! Better than nothing, as well as the return of East River Crawler!

Considering how the park is budgeting their money this is a great addition in all aspects bringing both families and curious spectators from all walks of life together to reminisce in this spectacular sounding event! Cannot wait to see this! :P

((Btw I thought I saw the background at the top of the page change blue to black and have fireworks in the background?? Am I correct??))

They posted on their twitter page that this remodel will be able to "grow" with the park. Video mapping can be changed to anything so once this show is done another new one can be designed around the area it is set up for.
B&MGuy35

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on August 31st, 2012, 3:50 pm
I asked them where the stage for igNIGHT would be on twitter and this was their reply "Can't give too much away now, but lets just say the action will surround you!" It makes me wonder if they will remove the area in the middle of Hometown square where the gazebo, benches, and trees are and that's where you'll be for the show.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Necropolis on September 1st, 2012, 2:25 pm
I have a feeling the park is gonna be spending some major moolah for this next year. I don't think fireworks are that cheap, well personal ones sure, but I wonder if the park will be getting those HUGE fireworks that are seen liked on the 4th of July. Its gonna be 4th of July everyday at the park next year with igNIGHT! :) And if that action will surround you, hmm I think they meant the actors will surround you.
Necropolis

Postby B&MGuy35 on September 1st, 2012, 3:24 pm
Necropolis wrote:I have a feeling the park is gonna be spending some major moolah for this next year. I don't think fireworks are that cheap, well personal ones sure, but I wonder if the park will be getting those HUGE fireworks that are seen liked on the 4th of July. Its gonna be 4th of July everyday at the park next year with igNIGHT! :) And if that action will surround you, hmm I think they meant the actors will surround you.

The action surrounding you I'm sure has to do with the video mapping that is being installed not actors
B&MGuy35

Postby sfgamguy on September 1st, 2012, 10:15 pm
Necropolis wrote:I have a feeling the park is gonna be spending some major moolah for this next year. I don't think fireworks are that cheap, well personal ones sure, but I wonder if the park will be getting those HUGE fireworks that are seen liked on the 4th of July. Its gonna be 4th of July everyday at the park next year with igNIGHT!

"Fun Fact: the 2012 Fourth Fest firework show cost $20,000."
sfgamguy

Postby Necropolis on September 2nd, 2012, 1:47 am
sfgamguy wrote:
Necropolis wrote:I have a feeling the park is gonna be spending some major moolah for this next year. I don't think fireworks are that cheap, well personal ones sure, but I wonder if the park will be getting those HUGE fireworks that are seen liked on the 4th of July. Its gonna be 4th of July everyday at the park next year with igNIGHT!

"Fun Fact: the 2012 Fourth Fest firework show cost $20,000."

Ok. How much will it cost to run igNight per day? I am terrible with money so I'm not sure how much 20k compares to what rest of the park spends money on.
Necropolis

Postby w00dland on September 2nd, 2012, 11:08 pm
Keep in mind that parks like Disneyland blow $50,000 per night on fireworks, don't expect SFGAm to be that spendy. Likely a few of the "big" ones, but mostly small low to the ground type fireworks would be my guess.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby sfgamguy on September 2nd, 2012, 11:35 pm
^ Yes, I agree. And by "pyrotechnics", I'm guessing that means fire cannons, too. Not necessarily as many big fireworks. Also, the large fireworks cause many rides to be closed in the area from S:UF all the way to V2 (Mardi Gras Fest this year) depending on the wind and what not. I guess this could be an incentive to have more people watch the show, if the surrounding rides are closed, but who knows.
sfgamguy

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 3rd, 2012, 12:50 am
I really hope they don't close down all of the rides in the areas around the show. That just sounds like it would be aweful.
coasterkidd100

Postby FParker185 on September 3rd, 2012, 2:15 am
I gotta guess a lot of rides will be closed for the show. Afterall, a show like this isn't going to draw people to the park, the whole point is to keep people in the park later and spending money. It's hard to spend money if after the show everyone bolts to a nearby ride for a last ride.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 3rd, 2012, 9:14 am
Details about Ignite and how it will change Hometown Square.

GURNEE — X-Flight made a big splash when it opened at Six Flags Great America this spring, establishing itself as one of only four wing coasters in the world and the only one featured in the Six Flags network.

When officials for the theme-park giant released details of their capital campaign for 2013, the big splashes were designated for places like California and Texas, while Great America was given the more modest role of announcing a new live-entertainment show that will debut next summer.

Targeted for Hometown Square, “igNight,” as the stage attraction will be titled, was touted Thursday by Six Flags Chief Operating Officer Al Weber Jr. as “a state-of-the-art show that has new technology, great music, live entertainment combined for a tremendous end-of-the-day, spectacular show for the guests.”

Weber, joined by company chairman, president and CEO Jim Reid-Anderson for a conference call with national media announcing 2013 improvements, added that the show will be a daily attraction timed near the park’s closing time.

“It’s going to have pyrotechnics,” Reid-Anderson said. “It will use video, laser lighting, sensory effects and will involve guests — what we’re trying to do is literally make people feel like they’ve stepped into a completely new universe at night.”

Reid-Anderson added that the experience will “end with a spectacular finish involving fireworks and other attractions. But if we told you everything, then the surprise would be gone.”

According to Great America spokeswoman Katy Enrique, installation of equipment for igNight will require renovations to Hometown Square, including removal of the gazebo in the center of the theme area, to allow for a ground-level stage. She added that the target start date for the attraction is early June.

In other Six Flags developments, Reid-Anderson and Weber announced that Magic Mountain in Valencia, Calif., will be getting Full Throttle, described as the world’s fastest (70 mph) and tallest (160 feet) looping roller coaster, and Six Flags Over Texas in suburban Dallas is slated to open The Texas SkyScreamer, a 400-foot-tall ride that rotates guests around a 124-foot circle while seated in swings.

Also, Great Adventure in New Jersey will add a Safari Off Road Adventure ride to its 350-acre wild animal park; Six Flags St. Louis will be getting the Boomerang, a Vekoma-designed cobra-roll coaster; and Fiesta Texas in San Antonio will open the Iron Rattler, a 70-mph hybrid coaster that will combine a wooden structure with steel tracks and rails.

According to Reid-Anderson, the company is proceeding under a plan formulated over the last two years to invest 9 percent of annual revenue in new capital systemwide. While sticking to the company’s policy of holding expenditure amounts close to the vest, he added that with Six Flags revenue topping $1 billion, it can be assumed that $90 million to $100 million is designated each year to the improvements.

How that money is invested, he said, is a process specific to each park that includes input from both staff and guests.

“We actually look at data across the company by park, and we have our park presidents and leadership teams make recommendations for the next five years, and we update that on an ongoing basis,” Reid-Anderson said. “So we can look out right now and know what’s coming, or at least what’s planned to come, and we set aside the money to invest in that.”

At one point, a Dallas-area journalist asked Reid-Anderson why another wing coaster like X-Flight wasn’t on the list of expansions for 2013. Reid-Anderson indicated that more such rides might be included in a five-year plan for capital improvements.

“We have had great success with X-Flight, (and) we’re very happy with it,” Reid-Anderson said. “We’re not announcing any future plans beyond 2013, but you know that we’ve got those plans in place, and at some point we’ll come around with news about other new attractions.”

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/1 ... in-13.html
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Corkscrew07 on September 3rd, 2012, 9:27 am
That's very disappointing that they are removing the gazebo. It's part of what makes Hometown Square my favorite area.
Corkscrew07

Postby chester016 on September 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am
xcheetaht wrote:Bummer! I won't go to Six Flags Great America for next year UNLESS they get a new roller coaster :x Fortunately, I live in the northwestern suburb of Los Angeles which means I can go to Six Flags Magic Mountain for new Full Throttle!

I hope Six Flags Great America can get a new starflyer for 2014.

Your post makes it sound like there is still a chance they are going to get a new roller coaster! Its not going to happen, they cant build a new one every single year. Get it through your head. To be honest, you can stay at Magic Mountain because nobody on this site wants to hear from someone who thinks they know everything before the announcement was made. Its irritating. Also please refrain from capitalizing all the letters in a word to try and get a point across because it doesnt. You can cool it on your excessive use of smileys as well.
chester016

Postby ttd rox on September 3rd, 2012, 10:19 am
While it's a little sad to see Hometown Square lose some of its classic touch, I am more happy to see more attention brought to it. It's always a busy place because of Whizzer, it's the center of the park, and the pass processing center but it still hasn't received a lot of attention as far as many changes made to it. Perhaps that's why a lot of us like it because it's more original, but this change looks to be good. The reason why I like it is because during the day it will be the square how most of us have always seen it (with the exception of the stage) but at night it becomes the most interesting and unique place in the park.
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby GrtAmkid on September 3rd, 2012, 10:28 am
Maybe, they will relocate the gazebo to another part of the park. There are some areas in the park that could use a little retro-charm.
GrtAmkid

Postby DeathbyDinn on September 3rd, 2012, 11:42 am
Pave over the go karts and put the gazebo there. :lol:
DeathbyDinn

Postby Bakercat13 on September 3rd, 2012, 12:58 pm
Just so you know, I'm new here and won't respond much so if I say something dumb don't freak out. :roll: Anyway, some food for thought, they should integrate camp cartoon with kidzopolis, and remove the stage near picnic grove, then they could build something huge. And please don't email me, because I really don't want people I don't know too well emailing me. Thanks
Top 5 Steel 5. V2 4. Montu 3. Apollo's Chariot 2. Verbolten 1. Griffon
Top 5 Wood 5. Viper 4. American Eagle 3. Renegade 2. Goliath 1. Outlaw Run
Top 5 Flats 5. Demon Drop 4. Escape from Pompeii 3. Curse of DarKastle 2. Giant Drop 1. Mach Tower
Bakercat13

Postby GayCoasterGuy on September 5th, 2012, 6:30 am
cab0218 wrote:I would much rather them fix American Eagle than have this.

Yes. Including an entrance and exit to the ride - by the ride - would be great. Future wishful thinking for now.

I hope this night time thing doesn't impede the operation of Whizzer in that last hour.
facebook.com/GayCoasterGuy
GayCoasterGuy

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 5th, 2012, 6:43 am
^ If Glow In The Park didn't close Whizzer, I don't see how igNIGHT possibly could.
DejaVu2001

Postby wibadgervbfan on September 5th, 2012, 9:49 am
I could see it maybe making them close down Whizzer, if they have fire works going off over head.
wibadgervbfan

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum