Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on January 26th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Those photos of Swarm were posted as another PR stunt from the company, theyre showing in those photos that there IS NOT enough clearance...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... limbs.html
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Cole on January 26th, 2012, 5:30 pm
ClubXJeff wrote:My thoughts exactly Goku... What does anything being shipped, have to do with pouring footers?

I'm not completly sure, but I know that the footers can't spend a huge amount of time without the support holding it down. Especially in cold weather, it can crack.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby DeathbyDinn on January 26th, 2012, 5:41 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Those photos of Swarm were posted as another PR stunt from the company, theyre showing in those photos that there IS NOT enough clearance...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... limbs.html

Those pictures were posted at the end of November, before any of this PR stunt stuff came up. Even if they had something to do with it, the bracket theyre using is probably just longer than normal. I really dont think they would go to the trouble of putting up supports that are holding up track too close for a PR stunt :roll:
DeathbyDinn

Postby gottastrata33 on January 26th, 2012, 6:11 pm
Ok keep rollin yer eyes... Its fact. Read the article. That one photo shows its not going to clear. The dummies in the front row are mannequins, not water dummies yet the park is insisting it was clearance complications. Read up on what others have to say about it here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewto ... start=1200 regardless of it bein another forum site.

Do you know of other "stunts" this park has pulled in the past? If you knew anything about Alton or Thorpe, youd understand all of this, but instead youd rather roll yer eyes cause you know it all.
gottastrata33

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on January 26th, 2012, 7:23 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Ok keep rollin yer eyes... Its fact. Read the article. That one photo shows its not going to clear. The dummies in the front row are mannequins, not water dummies yet the park is insisting it was clearance complications. Read up on what others have to say about it here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewto ... start=1200 regardless of it bein another forum site.

Do you know of other "stunts" this park has pulled in the past? If you knew anything about Alton or Thorpe, youd understand all of this, but instead youd rather roll yer eyes cause you know it all.

If you could get a clue, he said that the photo posted on the previous page are from November. When they were first doing the pull through to see if there was clearance in the first place. He's not talking about the article.

And yeah, I will roll my eyes :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jerrykoala2112

Postby Goku1910 on January 26th, 2012, 9:07 pm
Cole wrote:
ClubXJeff wrote:My thoughts exactly Goku... What does anything being shipped, have to do with pouring footers?

I'm not completly sure, but I know that the footers can't spend a huge amount of time without the support holding it down. Especially in cold weather, it can crack.

Uhhhhm...? Support holding a FOOTER down? I think the footers started at the time they did because six flags did not want drilling going on in the presence of guests.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby CoasterNick3157 on January 26th, 2012, 9:15 pm
?[/quote]
I'm not completly sure, but I know that the footers can't spend a huge amount of time without the support holding it down. Especially in cold weather, it can crack.[/quote]

So what you are saying is that putting more weight on footer in the winter will help keep the footers from cracking.
CoasterNick3157

Postby Goku1910 on January 26th, 2012, 9:21 pm

CoasterNick3157 wrote:So what you are saying is that putting more weight on footer in the winter will help keep the footers from cracking.

http://www.tkproduct.com/Curing%20Concrete.PDF High Heat in direct sunlight cracks Concrete while it cures....not cold.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Galvan on January 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm
I am pretty sure that concrete masons know a helluva lot more about concrete then anyone here (provided no one here is a concrete mason)

On to the Swarm bit: Its definitely a PR stunt, I highly doubt that the park would jeopardize a multi-million dollar train/ride building themeing to close to the ride areas.

Can we please stop the child games here please.
Galvan

Postby ilrider on January 26th, 2012, 10:52 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Ok keep rollin yer eyes... Its fact. Read the article. That one photo shows its not going to clear. The dummies in the front row are mannequins, not water dummies yet the park is insisting it was clearance complications. Read up on what others have to say about it here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewto ... start=1200 regardless of it bein another forum site.

Exactly. This is just a marketing stunt (and kind of brilliant, I have to admit). This is B&M we're talking about, people. Safety is their priority, and they have the history to back it up. It would take major construction flaws to result in all those dummies losing limbs (because the design sure as heck wouldn't have been that flawed). Thorpe Park is known for their clever marketing, including their complaints that X-Flight was copying the "Thorpe Inverted Drop." It was just British humor.
ilrider

Postby gottastrata33 on January 26th, 2012, 11:22 pm
Wow haha... ok. Yes, it is quite brilliant. They're getting people to talk about the coaster. Very smart. I remember that post too. They basically said instead of bein bitter, they wish us success on our new ride regardless of us "stealing" the "Thorpe Park inversion".
gottastrata33

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 26th, 2012, 11:28 pm
Ok, so off topic of what was being said earlier, but does anyone know how loading/unloading is going to work? I watched a video that TPR put up of wild eagle behind the scenes and they had a part with the station. It looked like there were only air gates on one side of the track. How are people supposed to cross over? do you think they're gonna do boarding like x2? Heres the video though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6nxlKH9 ... ture=share Trains at 2:17 Station at 3:19
icantwaittilxflight

Postby Galvan317 on January 26th, 2012, 11:34 pm
The ride is still under construction and it may not have them yet. It will load just like X2 and Raptor at Gardaland. Airgates can be put up in like half a day, on SUF they were built like the day before the ride opened (they weren't there on it's media day).
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby rluecht72 on January 27th, 2012, 1:04 am
icantwaittilxflight wrote:Ok, so off topic of what was being said earlier, but does anyone know how loading/unloading is going to work? I watched a video that TPR put up of wild eagle behind the scenes and they had a part with the station. It looked like there were only air gates on one side of the track. How are people supposed to cross over? do you think they're gonna do boarding like x2? Heres the video though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6nxlKH9 ... ture=share Trains at 2:17 Station at 3:19

If you watch the beginning of the video you can see to the left (right side of station) has stairs going up. i'm sure the left side was just hidden between the hill and the really well structured station. That ride will look really nice when it's done.
rluecht72

Postby FParker185 on January 27th, 2012, 1:23 am
Also the gates are probably about 6-10 feet back from the train. Basically when the train pulls in, everyone has to unload the same way they came in and exit at the front or back of the station, wherever the exit is, there needs to be room for that to happen. After everyone has exited the station, then they open the gates and start loading.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 27th, 2012, 7:45 am
Thanks everyone! I think that Wild Eagle's scenery makes the ride look much better. I think X-flight's layout is still better than eagle and swarm.
icantwaittilxflight

Postby CstrFan512 on January 27th, 2012, 9:11 am
Looks like there is more track on site today near the crane. Lets hope they top off today! :)
CstrFan512

Postby RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 9:31 am
The top piece that was attached to the crane is now gone. Also all three cranes are at the hill now. I think it might be topped, but since the webcam is not wide, I cannot confirm yet. I will go by at lunch to see/confirm.
Last edited by RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobSFGAm

Postby RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 9:31 am
It is topped off. From the webcam I can see the end hanging over.
RobSFGAm

Postby ttd rox on January 27th, 2012, 10:48 am
They are moving up another piece right now.
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 11:24 am
Photo is now in the X-Flight construction thread (once the my PhotoBucket account is reset)
Last edited by RobSFGAm on February 5th, 2012, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobSFGAm

Postby Jackluver18 on January 27th, 2012, 11:47 am
thanks for posting those
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby ttd rox on January 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm
That is going to look beautiful in the skyline once it's completed. May, please come faster!
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby CstrFan512 on January 27th, 2012, 1:16 pm
In the second picture with the guy standing on the track! I love coasters but id crap myself up there like that.
CstrFan512

Postby RobSFGAm on January 27th, 2012, 1:32 pm
Photo is now in the X-Flight construction thread (once the my PhotoBucket account is reset)
Last edited by RobSFGAm on February 5th, 2012, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobSFGAm

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum