Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Galvan on January 28th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Rob, do me a favor please:

Post all your pictures in a Construction Topic separate to this one, name it X-Flight construction pictures or whatever you want, and I will highlight them on our Facebook and Twitter page.

These are excellent pictures and I think more people on the site and on FB/Twitter needs to see them.
Galvan

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 28th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Thanks so much Rob! I didn't think it would look like that! Its crazy how small it looks under bull.. but the pictures are awesome. Thanks again!
icantwaittilxflight

Postby hotdog5113 on January 28th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Does anyone believe X-Flight will pass Raging Bull as Great America's top ride? From the look of things now, X-Flight will be awesome.
hotdog5113

Postby RobSFGAm on January 28th, 2012, 5:05 pm
I copied all my construction pictures to a new thread per the web authors request.
Forum: X-Flight construction pictures
RobSFGAm

Postby Galvan on January 28th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Thank you so much Rob! Those pics are deserving of there own topic. Amazing work!
Galvan

Postby RobSFGAm on January 28th, 2012, 5:14 pm
That is why I post two pictures prior from the same general area; it looks like X-Flight's lift hill is below Raging Bulls' brake in one picture, then on the other picture it looks like it is above. It is deceiving because the new coaster is at the part of the part where the tallest rides are at (Giant Drop, Raging Bull, American Eagle).
If you were to take the first picture from 1/28/2012 and draw a line from right to left it shows how deceiving it is. What I mean is like this:
Photo is now in the X-Flight construction thread (once the my PhotoBucket account is reset)

From this picture it looks like the new coasters first hill is the same height as Vipers first turn and the American Eagle lift hill (Which it is actually about 1/2 between the two).
I think it will be very impressive once we are in the park looking up at it and especially riding it.
Last edited by RobSFGAm on February 5th, 2012, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobSFGAm

Postby gottastrata33 on January 28th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Rob, sfgamworlds favorite member! ;) Thank you again so much for these awesome photos xmillion!! We are all obviously enjoying the updates.

Its all perspective of whats closer & further obviously, but it does to an extent look to be smaller due to the larger rides in that area as you mentioned. XFlight I def think has the ability to be a gp/park favorite but gp also love the long ride, height & speed of Raging Bull. ;)
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby chester016 on January 29th, 2012, 12:45 am
With the lift hill now complete, I think we may see construction move much faster. Basically from here on, its hoist a piece and bolt it in place. Where as before they had to assemble a lot of parts on the lift hill sections before hoisting it in chunks. I think there is a definite possiblity we could see the first drop complete and possibly the beginning of the zero-g roll complete by the end of the day monday
chester016

Postby Sporlo on January 29th, 2012, 12:54 pm
Just a little fyi from the Facebook crew:
"Trains probably won't be in until end of February / early March. Signs won't be in until much later."

Regarding the webcam, I almost think it would still be really neat even if the camera was placed somewhere at or near ground level. The more of the site we see, the better in my opinion. I think cool spots would be the top of Buccaneer Battle, for a nice view of what it will look like when you're in the park, OR right on top of the hill on Demon right after the tunnel, because you still have a BIT of distance from X-Flight, but you get to see the back of it, a view you only get while on Demon.
Sporlo

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 29th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Sporlo wrote:Just a little fyi from the Facebook crew:
"Trains probably won't be in until end of February / early March. Signs won't be in until much later."

Regarding the webcam, I almost think it would still be really neat even if the camera was placed somewhere at or near ground level. The more of the site we see, the better in my opinion. I think cool spots would be the top of Buccaneer Battle, for a nice view of what it will look like when you're in the park, OR right on top of the hill on Demon right after the tunnel, because you still have a BIT of distance from X-Flight, but you get to see the back of it, a view you only get while on Demon.

Where did you see they said that? And even halfway up Bull's lift looking down would work. Then we can see everything.. DDD is just too short now! :lol:
icantwaittilxflight

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 29th, 2012, 3:08 pm
^ We've been over this before. Despite the park saying the camera is at the top of Dive, it is not. I would guess the camera is around 40-70 feet up, probably closer to 40. Based on the angle it is looking at the site from, there is no way it is 125ft up (top of Dive).

Putting it on Bull would not work unless they had it zoomed in a lot. From as far away as Bull is, everything would be small and blurry.
DejaVu2001

Postby x-flight on January 29th, 2012, 6:34 pm
I believe this rise will be busy the first year or two but Bull will always be the park favorite
x-flight

Postby Sporlo on January 29th, 2012, 7:15 pm
I saw the thing about the trains in a random comment on their page. Someone asked when the signs would come in, then a commenter said the trains would be here in a week or two, and then the SFGAmFB crew commented the thing about late Feb/early Mar.

And I can see why it's unlikely that the webcam is at the very top of DDD, but if the camera has a REALLY CRAPPY field of view, or maybe it's lowest zoom is more than a typical camera, it COULD be at the top. But again, I think you're right that it's in the middle somewhere.
Sporlo

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 29th, 2012, 7:52 pm
^ If it were at the top of Dive, it would be angled down more.
DejaVu2001

Postby CstrFan512 on January 29th, 2012, 8:27 pm
Seeing Dollywood and Thrope get their trains gets me really excited. Although Wild Eagle's look a little silly and Swarm's has the red eyes, I believe X-Flight's will look the best. They have a modern look which i would love to see in person.
CstrFan512

Postby hotdog5113 on January 29th, 2012, 9:51 pm
Almost into February fellas! Before we know it, it will be spring. haha

I really hope that this week they can get a lot of X-Flight done. I hope that the weather will be within working conditions rest of the way. No more snow storms, and no high winds.
hotdog5113

Postby sfgam#1 on January 30th, 2012, 12:40 am
^ Well lets hope the take advantage of the upcoming weather ! And yes I think wild eagles trains looks silly too Lol! Its looks like one of those last minutes ideas !!!! And what if they put the webcam on American eagle!
sfgam#1

Postby woohoodude11 on January 30th, 2012, 3:43 pm
**error**
Last edited by woohoodude11 on January 30th, 2012, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woohoodude11

Postby woohoodude11 on January 30th, 2012, 3:45 pm
sfgam#1 wrote:^ Well lets hope the take advantage of the upcoming weather ! And yes I think wild eagles trains looks silly too Lol! Its looks like one of those last minutes ideas !!!! And what if they put the webcam on American eagle!

Eagle is way too far away. The best option would probably be the souveneir stand across the midway from the ride (formerly attitudes) angled slightly up. And to everyone that Thinks its currently on top of DDD, do you really think that storage shed would be just below the top of the ride? Come on now.
woohoodude11

Postby ttd rox on January 30th, 2012, 4:26 pm
I'm confused as to what shed is under the camera right now. Is that the building that was under SWF's drop or did they remove that? If that's the case then it probably is on a lower point of the arched structure of DDD.
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby woohoodude11 on January 30th, 2012, 4:33 pm
ttd rox wrote:I'm confused as to what shed is under the camera right now. Is that the building that was under SWF's drop or did they remove that? If that's the case then it probably is on a lower point of the arched structure of DDD.

Yeah the old pump room or whatever. The camera is probably on the railing of the round concrete stand DDD sits on. Running that much wire where it would be any distance up the structure wouldn't work too well. We'd probably see the lift a bit better if the cam was higher as well.
woohoodude11

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 30th, 2012, 4:38 pm
looks like not much progress today, although we have no clue what is happening out of sight from the webcam... hopefully the weather stays nice. Its the end of january and i was outside in a pair of jeans and a tshirt. Hope that by the end of the week we see a complete drop.. :D
icantwaittilxflight

Postby sfgam#1 on January 30th, 2012, 4:39 pm
woohoodude11 wrote:
sfgam#1 wrote:^ Well lets hope the take advantage of the upcoming weather ! And yes I think wild eagles trains looks silly too Lol! Its looks like one of those last minutes ideas !!!! And what if they put the webcam on American eagle!

Eagle is way too far away. The best option would probably be the souveneir stand across the midway from the ride (formerly attitudes) angled slightly up. And to everyone that Thinks its currently on top of DDD, do you really think that storage shed would be just below the top of the ride? Come on now.

Well they need to put it in a place where we can see the whole ride but I think that might be hard ! Or what if they just move the angle of the camera!
sfgam#1

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Today in the morning, they finished the lift stairs. In the afternoon, they've been doing a lot of work around the base of the lift where the lift motor will be, but I can't really identify any progress down there except for them taking the tarp off of the motor, and lot of crane movement.
DejaVu2001

Postby icantwaittilxflight on January 30th, 2012, 5:03 pm
thanks DejaVu! And I think they should wait until the drop and zero g are done, since everyone is going to want to see that happen. Then after that, nobody will really be caring about watching the same track but the new track being installed...
icantwaittilxflight

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum