Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New Ride(s) for 2017

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on August 30th, 2016, 11:54 pm
Not confirmed ^

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby Wisco Woody on August 31st, 2016, 1:03 am
How in the hell can any of you want a superloop over a 4D free spin? Even if it is a replica of Joker at GAdv, it will be the first and only 4D in the Midwest, and you'd have to go to the coasts or Texas to ride another one of any kind. 4D is a much better fit than putting a stupid superloop next to our most iconic looping coaster.
Wisco Woody

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2016, 1:40 am
^ We are each entitled to our own opinion. I'd rather have a Superloop for a few reasons, but I'd still be fine with a 4-D. Regarding what I said earlier, I was just mad at the un-uniqueness of the name, and because of the missed opportunity they had to give the tide a cool sea storm theme like Typhoon to match Yankee Harbor. I guess the color scheme is fine, and it's kind of cool having a Batman and Joker coaster next to each other, but I really don't like how it won't fit the area.

(Assuming we're getting a Free-Spin)

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on August 31st, 2016, 1:49 am
I have to agree with that. Whether it's a 4D or kiddie coaster, it's a new coaster to our lineup for hundreds to eventually thousands or even millions of riders to enjoy over the years.

I would love a Disko-coaster too. I'd hope they would choose that over a classic Disko. CP counts theirs as a coaster soooo we can too. But in all honesty, it would be a nice fun addition.
gottastrata33

Postby coasterfanatic on August 31st, 2016, 2:20 am
While a free-spin is not my top choice for a coaster, it's another unique ride that Great America will add to its repitore than is no where else in the Midwest (and not even CP) and I think it's good use of the land.

The SuperLoops are the dumbest things ever. You can ride one at any carnival under the name Ring of Fire. One of my friends road it in one of the other Six Flags parks and said they need to use an air hose to unlock restraints and that the ride literally plugs in in order for them to park it properly or something like that.

Don't ever want one at GA, ever. I will take a Free-spin anyday. Cool concept plus we don't have any S&S rides in the park, so that will be a welcome addition.
coasterfanatic

Postby jmanporty7 on August 31st, 2016, 3:00 am
Lol I knew I would do this. I'm changing my prediction again.

All of Mardi Gras and the small section where ERC is all becomes a brand new area....Gotham City. We get a S&S 4D Free Spin in RC's spot called Jokers Chaos Coaster. Roaring Rapids is renamed to Penguins Blizzard River. King Chaos to Riddler's Revenge. Big Easy Balloons to Harley Quinn Spinsanity. Batman's entrance relocated to that little section where ERC is. And the "bridge" thing comes down and becomes normal path which is pushed over a little bit closer to Batman to take up the spot left behind by ERC and JWR, to make more room for the free spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2016, 3:49 am
I'm going to be so disappointed if Six Flags ends up giving a 4D to one park, super loops at the others rumored to be getting a 4D, and then a coaster to Fiesta Texas. (They got a 4D in 2015 :()
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Wisco Woody on August 31st, 2016, 4:07 am
I think it's important to put everything in the perspective of cost to the parks. An S&S 4D free spin, Premier Sky Rocket, Premier multi-launch (Full Throttle), Justice League BFM, and flat ride package with a superloop each cost 6 to 7 million $. That really is a remarkable symmetry and equality in terms of costs for these major additions. For comparison, X-Flight and Goliath both cost about $15-16 million, and an RMC makeover of a 2700 ft to 4500 ft long wooden coaster costs between $9 and $12 million.
Wisco Woody

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 31st, 2016, 6:00 am
Wisco Woody wrote:I think it's important to put everything in the perspective of cost to the parks. An S&S 4D free spin, Premier Sky Rocket, Premier multi-launch (Full Throttle), Justice League BFM, and flat ride package with a superloop each cost 6 to 7 million $. That really is a remarkable symmetry and equality in terms of costs for these major additions. For comparison, X-Flight and Goliath both cost about $15-16 million, and an RMC makeover of a 2700 ft to 4500 ft long wooden coaster costs between $9 and $12 million.

Justice League was way more than 7 million. I think more in the 10-12 million range. The cars alone on our ride were 5 million. So if we do get a 4D free spin coaster, that's 2 years in a row for a major investment into the park. I'm guessing 2018 will be a off year for us then.

B&MGuy35

Postby jmanporty7 on August 31st, 2016, 6:19 am
I'm still very back and forth with the flat ride package and the 4D coaster. I can't even make up my mind.

jmanporty7

Postby Wisco Woody on August 31st, 2016, 6:38 am
I spoke with Katy Enrique, the Park's PR director, on the opening day of Justice League. She said the cost of converting and construction of the entire ride, animatronics, and que theming was $7 million. She also said that they did spend an additional $3 million on outdoor themeing, promotion, and the gift shop, so if a park had a less well fitting building or had to construct a new one it might be up to $12 million.
But for us the total between Justice League and either the 4D or the flat package with superloop is just $16 million in 2 years, which was about the total cost of Goliath, so that's pretty darn good bang for the buck.
Wisco Woody

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 6:49 am
Wisco Woody wrote:I spoke with Katy Enrique, the Park's PR director, on the opening day of Justice League. She said the cost of converting and construction of the entire ride, animatronics, and que theming was $7 million. She also said that they did spend an additional $3 million on outdoor themeing, promotion, and the gift shop, so if a park had a less well fitting building or had to construct a new one it might be up to $12 million.
But for us the total between Justice League and either the 4D or the flat package with superloop is just $16 million in 2 years, which was about the total cost of Goliath, so that's pretty darn good bang for the buck.

When doing the cost of a ride like Justice League, I wonder how much initial development costs are factored in. With that ride, I'm sure there were lots of initial costs to design the whole thing and make the video and all that. Do they just stick all that cost on the first one (two?) or do they factor that in? Does Sally just charge the same for all of them and make a larger profit later, or is Six Flags a partner in it since this ride can (at least in the US) only go there?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 6:53 am
Goku1910 wrote:In web design terms, you can't just take down the entire site to update it in the middle of the day so some assets have to be uploaded to the domain before it goes live. This way, when the site reaches a certain time and date everything is visible to whoever goes there.

I guess. But they could just do sort of what Apple does when they have something big being announced - they take down the entire site for an hour or two while it's happening and then put it up with the new stuff. It would be in the middle of the night, so it hardly seems like they'd be losing a lot of business or anything. They could even put a countdown clock on it, make it sort of a game. But I'm glad they do it this way, it's fun to get early hints!
anewman35

Postby Wisco Woody on August 31st, 2016, 7:00 am
The first Justice League, which our ride is a replica of, was installed in 2015, so Sally Corp had already recovered their development costs, and the ride isn't that high tech or mechanically sophisticated. So with a base price of $7 million and $3 to $5 million on amenities and building conversion, this is something they can put in every park.
The park is saving for it's 2019 or 2020 addition of what is likely their long planned launched coaster, and with Premier coasters being so cheap that might just be a "less major" $6 million addition as well. No idea what or when the next $15+ million coaster will be, but likely don't expect it before 2021.
Wisco Woody

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 31st, 2016, 7:22 am
on a sidenote... i'm wondering if the "meltdown" portion of the clue could be alluding to Holiday in the Park? although our winters can be rather brutal, would be pretty cool if the entrance pond were converted into an ice skating rink!
AirTimeDaz

Postby bbd on August 31st, 2016, 8:26 am
coasterfanatic wrote:While a free-spin is not my top choice for a coaster, it's another unique ride that Great America will add to its repitore than is no where else in the Midwest (and not even CP) and I think it's good use of the land.

The SuperLoops are the dumbest things ever. You can ride one at any carnival under the name Ring of Fire. One of my friends road it in one of the other Six Flags parks and said they need to use an air hose to unlock restraints and that the ride literally plugs in in order for them to park it properly or something like that.

Don't ever want one at GA, ever. I will take a Free-spin anyday. Cool concept plus we don't have any S&S rides in the park, so that will be a welcome addition.

If a 4D is going in the midwest it's going to St. Louis first. They haven't received a new coaster as recently, SFGAM got one in 2014. Also, St. Louis has had to close Boomerang b/c of derailment, so they are surely looking to replace it.
bbd

Postby astucks18 on August 31st, 2016, 8:33 am
^St. Louis' Disk'O has already been leaked

astucks18

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 8:35 am
If St. Louis was going to get a Free Spin first (while Free Spins are still unique enough to matter to people), why are they not getting one for next year?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 8:48 am
anewman35 wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:In web design terms, you can't just take down the entire site to update it in the middle of the day so some assets have to be uploaded to the domain before it goes live. This way, when the site reaches a certain time and date everything is visible to whoever goes there.

I guess. But they could just do sort of what Apple does when they have something big being announced - they take down the entire site for an hour or two while it's happening and then put it up with the new stuff. It would be in the middle of the night, so it hardly seems like they'd be losing a lot of business or anything. They could even put a countdown clock on it, make it sort of a game. But I'm glad they do it this way, it's fun to get early hints!

The other dumb thing is that all the 2016 rides appear to still be under "new for 2016", not under the ride name. So why not so they again and keep the names more secret?
anewman35

Postby bbd on August 31st, 2016, 8:52 am
jmanporty7 wrote:I'm still very back and forth with the flat ride package and the 4D coaster. I can't even make up my mind.

SFGAm is not in the logical pecking order for a coaster, ie...4D for this year. The park has received a new coaster in 2014. The park doesn't have a Superloop and needs updated flat rides. Superloop with flat rides is the logical addition like several other parks got in 2015 and 2016. ..The park is in line for a coaster in 2018 possibly and big time in 2019, if not in 2018. The park would be best off getting 2 solid years of flat rides and revamps. Superloop and Zamperla Endeavor(Catwoman Whip at OT) are obvious choices. We already have Revolution so won't likely get a Zymperla Discovery(riddlers revenge at OT) that have been part of other Packages. We also have a ride in the same genre of "spinsanity" ride that came with other parks packages at OT, Fiesta, GA.

Maybe SF will look into some other Zamperla rides b/c they have some good ones like;
The Hawk http://www.zamperla.com/wp-content/uplo ... Hawk03.jpg
bbd

Postby bbd on August 31st, 2016, 9:00 am
astucks18 wrote:^St. Louis' Disk'O has already been leaked

The poster people are relying on is suspect.
Last edited by bbd on August 31st, 2016, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbd

Postby WolfsterJ on August 31st, 2016, 9:01 am
bbd wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:I'm still very back and forth with the flat ride package and the 4D coaster. I can't even make up my mind.

SFGAm is not in the logical pecking order for a coaster, ie...4D for this year. The park has received a new coaster in 2014. The park doesn't have a Superloop and needs updated flat rides. Superloop with flat rides is the logical addition like several other parks got in 2015 and 2016. ..The park is in line for a coaster in 2018 possibly and big time in 2019, if not in 2018. The park would be best off getting 2 solid years of flat rides and revamps. Superloop and Zamperla Endeavor(Catwoman Whip at OT) are obvious choices. We already have Revolution so won't likely get a Zymperla Discovery(riddlers revenge at OT) that have been part of other Packages. We also have a ride in the same genre of "spinsanity" ride that came with other parks packages at OT, Fiesta, GA.

Maybe SF will look into some other Zamperla rides b/c they have some good ones like;
The Hawk http://www.zamperla.com/wp-content/uplo ... Hawk03.jpg

Well, unless we can find another attraction name in the domains, we're getting something named Joker, most likely a clone of the 4d at great adventure. Keep in mind, they are getting a justice league next year, when we got it this year. And they got a free spin this year, while if we get it next year, it will complete the cycle, except vice versa.
WolfsterJ

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2016, 9:08 am
bbd wrote:

But isn't the name confirmed by the URL trick? And that wasn't figured out (at least by us) until AFTER the poster was posted?
anewman35

Postby bbd on August 31st, 2016, 9:22 am
Nightmare31sfgam wrote:Final Prediction-
Spinsanity disco in rc spot
Endevor in erc spot
Super loop in jwr spot

Spinsanity disco is the same genre of rides as Revolution. That would be redundant.
bbd

Postby bbd on August 31st, 2016, 9:23 am
anewman35 wrote:
bbd wrote:

But isn't the name confirmed by the URL trick? And that wasn't figured out (at least by us) until AFTER the poster was posted?

Not by what anyone posted here.
bbd

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum