Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New ride for 2016

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Jacklw6499 on August 31st, 2015, 4:53 pm
aaron60060 wrote:Well, I'm very happy that we're getting a new attraction, even if it isn't the giga coaster we've all been dreaming about. I'm hopeful that someday they'll build a gigantic coaster or pair of coasters in Yukon / Mardi Gras through the existing Log Flume area / Roaring Rapids. I don't know for sure but I think they could make these new coasters work without hurting the ride experience on the others.

Maybe someday we will get a Giga ;) Does anyone know if Intamin still manufactures Giga coasters? Also lol totally off topic but I think an Intamin blitz would be unreal at this park.. I know wishful thinking and it won't ever happen lol
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2015, 6:18 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:98% of people on here have "heard" me say that. Parks CAN make coasters work without losing any rides. Sometimes they even simply relocate rides within the park too.

In SF terms, Goliath at SFOG if a grey example of a giant coasters crossing over rides without removing them. But my fav example of craziness of "coaster stacking" is GronaLund :)

Great Gasp and Looping Starship were removed to make room for it.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2015, 6:55 pm
Does anyone think that there'll be anymore teasers since the announcements on Thursday?
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2015, 7:54 pm
Jacklw6499 wrote:Maybe someday we will get a Giga ;) Does anyone know if Intamin still manufactures Giga coasters? Also lol totally off topic but I think an Intamin blitz would be unreal at this park.. I know wishful thinking and it won't ever happen lol

I'm not really basing this on anything but observations, but it sort of feels like SFGAm either doesn't want to build really tall stuff or maybe they've been persuaded by Gurnee to not even try. I know the max height for anything is the 330 feet of Sky Trek Tower, but they've never tried for anything even remotely close to that, and it's been since Raging Bull since they even broke 200 feet. They're also one of the few Six Flags parks without a Skyscreamer, and I wonder if that's because they don't think they can go high enough to make it worth while.

So, long story short, I really wouldn't expect a Giga anytime soon, if ever...
anewman35

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2015, 8:45 pm
I do think it's kind of weird we are one of only a few parks that doesn't have a Skyscreamer... It would do really well and give some spectacular views of the park and the surrounding area.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterCale on August 31st, 2015, 10:38 pm
Reguarding SkyScreamers, I have been to three parks that have them. The only that I've actually ridden is at St. Louis. The one at SFOT never opened because of wind. So taller isn't always better. The one at SFFT, was backwards, so no thank you. :roll:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 31st, 2015, 10:49 pm
What if we get a "mini area" in SWAT's spot, with a few flats and MAYBE a kiddie/family coaster added in the near future? Probably themed to Gotham/DC Comics for obvious reasons. I wouldn't mind it at all, as long as they don't classify the Larson Loop(if we do get one) as a coaster, and it's separate from Southwest Territory.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2015, 10:52 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:What if we get a "mini area" in SWAT's spot, with a few flats and MAYBE a kiddie/family coaster added in the near future? Probably themed to Gotham/DC Comics for obvious reasons. I wouldn't mind it at all, as long as they don't classify the Larson Loop(if we do get one) as a coaster, and it's separate from Southwest Territory.

Why does it matter if the classify a Larson Loop as a coaster or not? It's not like we have a specific quota of coasters and if they call the Larson Loop a coaster they have to remove a different one.
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2015, 12:14 am
Coaster Justin wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:98% of people on here have "heard" me say that. Parks CAN make coasters work without losing any rides. Sometimes they even simply relocate rides within the park too.

In SF terms, Goliath at SFOG if a grey example of a giant coasters crossing over rides without removing them. But my fav example of craziness of "coaster stacking" is GronaLund :)

Great Gasp and Looping Starship were removed to make room for it.

& they weren't relocated? Lame. Well thank your for the correction, now I know. ;) But I was getting at roller coaster removal. Correct me if I'm wrong but it crosses over Scorcher, the tollway & runs out of the park correct? Seeing it's not my park, I never realized any rides were removed & I've never heard of my friends out there telling me that. Just that it goes over the midway & those attractions/places. I do know they removed rides for their Dare Devil Dive Coaster & it caused an uproar for families. I know parks like SFGAdv are the worst with removing things for new rides & with all the land they have it seems so unnecessary. With us being land locked, we understand the removal of one ride for another but I'd expect wanting to save a ride with some creativity put into it.

My point is, I really don't like having to remove any rides but especially a coaster for a coaster. The worst is removing a coaster for an empty plot of land. So maybe they're removing SWAT for a pretty grassy plot of land. ;)

So many people throughout forums & special media are convinced this is a coaster but I'm really not feelin it. I'm with a lot of you that we just have to accept its the dark ride.

However they could possibly be announcing two things - the dark ride AND that AE will be closing for the rumored makeover the following year (2017). I know we've dabbled a little in this idea already but that's what I'm truly thinking. They'll have to keep guests interested this time next year though reminding everyone it's coming obviously.
gottastrata33

Postby BroServant7 on September 1st, 2015, 1:15 am
Alright, so I'm probably just too tired or ate too much junk food, but I had this thought. I've remained silent this year as I haven't felt I've had any ideas or observations worth contributing... but I was starting to think about how the teasers actually seem to brag about tricking us (using an obvious Joker format to do so) and they are all filmed in the SWA location. Many of the clues imply things that just simply don't fit in with a JL dark ride (i.e. the three loops, the three o's underlined, the sideways S type motion both spray painted in the second video and hand motioned in the third)... but it is painfully obvious that we are getting a JL dark ride. Many people who stay closer to the rumor mill than myself have been speculating such a ride would take the place of the Pictorium, but they've now cleared away SWA which is where they've done the teasers. Okay, all of that to say this.... In the second video we're told to look for the smallest clues. Several picked up on the twos such as the two spray painted bolts. What if the teasers are ACTUALLY teasing for our new ride TWO YEARS from now? What if we're getting the dark ride IN THE PICTORIUM LOCATION and getting something obviously more thrilling in SWA's location in 2017? It's a crazy thought, but it's one that I had. I thought this would be a fun concept to consider and discuss.
BroServant7

Postby BroServant7 on September 1st, 2015, 1:54 am
Also, interesting to consider... in the third video the slopes on the poster board seem to be similar to the prop they haven't destroyed yet in SWA location, the one that's in the background when David says, "the joke's on you". It almost looks like they're all pointing at it earlier in that video (0:05-0:09). I have no idea what that could mean, but no one is really talking about it so I thought I'd bring it up.
BroServant7

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 1st, 2015, 6:29 am
BroServant7 wrote:Also, interesting to consider... in the third video the slopes on the poster board seem to be similar to the prop they haven't destroyed yet in SWA location, the one that's in the background when David says, "the joke's on you". It almost looks like they're all pointing at it earlier in that video (0:05-0:09). I have no idea what that could mean, but no one is really talking about it so I thought I'd bring it up.

What prop is that? Because I'm pretty sure that everything from Southwest Amphitheatre is torn down.
Last edited by Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 1st, 2015, 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2015, 6:41 am
BroServant7 wrote: What if we're getting the dark ride IN THE PICTORIUM LOCATION and getting something obviously more thrilling in SWA's location in 2017? It's a crazy thought, but it's one that I had. I thought this would be a fun concept to consider and discuss.

If they weren't using SWA next year it makes no sense to tear it down NOW instead of waiting until the off season (or at least until after this year's ride announcement). And if they were putting it in the Pictorium, we would have already seen work going on there.
anewman35

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 1st, 2015, 6:44 am
RollingCoasting wrote:Does anyone think that there'll be anymore teasers since the announcements on Thursday?

No, since they honestly announce and release the information for 2016 at like Midnight between Wednesday and Thursday.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2015, 6:46 am
gottastrata33 wrote:However they could possibly be announcing two things - the dark ride AND that AE will be closing for the rumored makeover the following year (2017). I know we've dabbled a little in this idea already but that's what I'm truly thinking. They'll have to keep guests interested this time next year though reminding everyone it's coming obviously.

There's no way they're going to announce stuff for 2017 this week. It's just not how these Six Flags announcements work. And even if they were going to rehab the Eagle, why do
you think it would take so long?
anewman35

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 1st, 2015, 7:28 am
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:Does anyone think that there'll be anymore teasers since the announcements on Thursday?

No, since they honestly announce and release the information for 2016 at like Midnight between Wednesday and Thursday.

The announcement is at 7:00 AM I heard.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2015, 8:36 am
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:
BroServant7 wrote:Also, interesting to consider... in the third video the slopes on the poster board seem to be similar to the prop they haven't destroyed yet in SWA location, the one that's in the background when David says, "the joke's on you". It almost looks like they're all pointing at it earlier in that video (0:05-0:09). I have no idea what that could mean, but no one is really talking about it so I thought I'd bring it up.

What prop is that? Because I'm pretty sure that everything from Southwest Amphitheatre is torn down.

Everything is torn down now, but if you look closely there still a little stuff in the background in the video. Don't think it means anything, though.
anewman35

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 1st, 2015, 8:47 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

The actual announcement may actually be around then but they normally post information on social media and the website around midnight or very early morning.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby AirTimeDaz on September 1st, 2015, 1:25 pm

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk[/quote]
The actual announcement may actually be around then but they normally post information on social media and the website around midnight or very early morning.[/quote]

Yep I do recall staying up til around 2 am (which would have been midnight on the west coast) when Goliath was announced & the Six Flags (chain-wide) New for 2014 page went live.
AirTimeDaz

Postby nerdguy5 on September 1st, 2015, 7:35 pm
anewman35 wrote:
Jacklw6499 wrote:Maybe someday we will get a Giga ;) Does anyone know if Intamin still manufactures Giga coasters? Also lol totally off topic but I think an Intamin blitz would be unreal at this park.. I know wishful thinking and it won't ever happen lol

I'm not really basing this on anything but observations, but it sort of feels like SFGAm either doesn't want to build really tall stuff or maybe they've been persuaded by Gurnee to not even try. I know the max height for anything is the 330 feet of Sky Trek Tower, but they've never tried for anything even remotely close to that, and it's been since Raging Bull since they even broke 200 feet. They're also one of the few Six Flags parks without a Skyscreamer, and I wonder if that's because they don't think they can go high enough to make it worth while.

So, long story short, I really wouldn't expect a Giga anytime soon, if ever...

The Maximum Height is Sky Trek Tower, however, I remember someone saying a while back (Not in this post), that Six Flags still needs a Height Variance over a certain amount (which is below the 330 ft)... If we could just get Rid of the Waukegan Airport, we wouldn't have this problem :P

They had to get Village Approval just to build Chang... and then we got a waterpark expansion
Wish I could remember my regular log in...
nerdguy5

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2015, 7:49 pm
nerdguy5 wrote:
The Maximum Height is Sky Trek Tower, however, I remember someone saying a while back (Not in this post), that Six Flags still needs a Height Variance over a certain amount (which is below the 330 ft)... If we could just get Rid of the Waukegan Airport, we wouldn't have this problem :P

They had to get Village Approval just to build Chang... and then we got a waterpark expansion

They need to get village approval for things over 125 feet or 200 feet, depending on where in the park it is (this is a recent change, it was 125 feet anywhere). The thing is, as far as I am aware the village has always approved anything the park wanted, the park just hasn't ever tried for anything higher than Giant Drop.
anewman35

Postby BabyDinosaur on September 2nd, 2015, 8:59 am
What if we're getting a completely different story for Justice League?
BabyDinosaur

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2015, 9:50 am
BabyDinosaur wrote:What if we're getting a completely different story for Justice League?

Seems like a huge waste of money.
anewman35

Postby nerdguy5 on September 2nd, 2015, 10:16 am
The SUN TIMES is pointing out that all the invitations came with Superhero Capes, but also tucked inside, was a Green Lantern Cape.. They also point out the underlines O's, which could be green lantern logos....

They also pointed out the Joker References... which are more evident than most other hints... "Ha Ha" and "Coming Soon" are all written in Jokers handwriting... However the "Coming Soon", also throws in the Underlined O's... Yes we have the Superhero Caps, so everyone screams JL.. And lets not forget, "Sally" was in the park... But there are equally as many clues towards 2 other rides... So maybe it will be a Double Attraction Year?

From the Sun Times:
"If more fuel needed to be added to the fire, it was done so when Great America officials sent out invitations to a "major announcement and media event" on Sept. 3 that included phrases like "Be a Superhero" and "Calling All Superheroes" and "Get Your Super Hero Cape Ready." Also tucked inside the invitation that made its way to the News-Sun was a Green Lantern cape, complete with his rather unique circular logo."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/opinion/ct-lns-moran-lantern-st-0829-20150828-story.html
Last edited by nerdguy5 on September 2nd, 2015, 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wish I could remember my regular log in...
nerdguy5

Postby Goku1910 on September 2nd, 2015, 10:33 am
^Hate that website. I should be forced to register just to read an article.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum