Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

The Space American Eagle Occupies

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Dan The Coaster Man on November 23rd, 2014, 8:18 pm
As we all know, American Eagle takes up the most space in the park. And sooner or later, despite its amazing history and pride, it will be taken down. Maybe within the next five seasons, maybe after 2050.

The possibilities are endless as to what SFGAm can do with the land if American Eagle. So what I would be interested in hearing from you guys, what could be put in the space after American Eagle is torn? You can literally say anything. You could list more realistic ideas, or more like dreams that would never happen. Would it be one attraction? Would the space be divided into seperate rides? Maybe even a new themed area! A Stratra Coaster? Maybe even a Giga that runs along side interstate 94 for a overbank! Maybe you could even say a roller coaster type that doesn't exist that could be invented?

I'd love to hear the thoughts of you guys. It's a huge area of land, what would YOU like to see??
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 23rd, 2014, 8:59 pm
Nothing.

After AE was built, Gurnee made it so that nothing be within 300 feet of either Washington or I 90. Nothing can go in AE's space. The only thing we can do is give it a retrack and maybe a few updates on the trains and mechanics.

Also, the public outcry would probably have an equal or greater effect on the park than what happened with Whizzer back in '02.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on November 23rd, 2014, 9:30 pm
^ Nothing can even go in its space? Even if it was torn down and build over the same area not even expanding AE's area?

And the public outcry thing is very true. I love American Eagle myself. But at some point it will get to a point it just can't operate. Look at Colossus. "King of Wooden Coasters" down even after numerous protests. I rode Colossus this year (backwards) and the pain is superior to AE but similar. Unless of course just like Colossus it gets a retracking (not necessarily Iron Horse)
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby tp41190 on November 23rd, 2014, 10:45 pm
Public Outcry has no power in the company. As much as the park wants to say that public outcry saved whizzer in 2002, it was only saved because of the Shockwave accident.
[read]
tp41190

Postby anewman35 on November 23rd, 2014, 10:56 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Nothing.

After AE was built, Gurnee made it so that nothing be within 300 feet of either Washington or I 90. Nothing can go in AE's space. The only thing we can do is give it a retrack and maybe a few updates on the trains and mechanics.

As I ask every time this comes up, do you have any actual evidence of this, or is this just something people say? Looking at a map, one of the water slide complexes looks less than 300 feet from the Tollway. Anyway, even if this is true, I'm sure that parts of the land would be able to be used. However, I think it'll be a very long time before they ever consider taking it down (and when that time comes, they'd be more likely to do a RMC conversion instead).
anewman35

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on November 23rd, 2014, 11:36 pm
Yah it's a huge staple to the park and I don't really want to see it go, but there is a time for everything you know?
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 23rd, 2014, 11:48 pm
They COULD leave it SBNO, and just use it as a giant decoration. :P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on November 23rd, 2014, 11:55 pm
^ well out of all the coasters it is the most appealing in my book hahah
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby DeathbyDinn on November 24th, 2014, 12:06 am
Dan The Coaster Man wrote:As we all know, American Eagle takes up the most space in the park. And sooner or later, despite its amazing history and pride, it will be taken down. Maybe within the next five seasons, maybe after 2050.

The possibilities are endless as to what SFGAm can do with the land if American Eagle.

The thing is though, even though it takes up a lot of space, it's not space that'd be super accessible once it's gone. On one side you have Washington street, on the other you have access roads, backstage areas and the train, and you have roads going through it at two points. The only thing I could realistically see is another coaster, or maybe a few flats where the station sites.
DeathbyDinn

Postby skibum101184 on November 24th, 2014, 11:30 am
So if they can't rebuild on it's land (or a good share of it), would the Village/State eventually allow for a makeover of Eagle like SFMM is doing with Colossus?
skibum101184

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 24th, 2014, 12:12 pm
Well Eagle IS over 125 feet, so it would need an approval from the board, assuming RMC will make it taller.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RaceBoarder on November 24th, 2014, 1:11 pm
I think that the most obvious thing would to go with another coaster in the place of AE... I dunno if that is possible given the zoning restrictions that have been mentioned though :x

If Six Flags ever wanted to pursue a giga coaster, this would be the best place to do so... You have room to build and don't have to shoehorn the coaster in like we've seen with almost all of their projects as of late... I don't think that they can really put much else back there since the space can't be easily accessed by the public...

I don't really have a clue what else could be done with the space... As always, my opinion... Yours may vary :lol:
RaceBoarder

Postby Jodon on November 24th, 2014, 2:20 pm
I'm still curious to see/read evidence of this Gurnee stipulation/rule/law where nothing is to be built within 100 yds of Washington St. and I-94. If this stipulation was voted on, wouldn't there be record of it anywhere? I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but people on here and other boards spout this like it's fact and I have never heard or seen a compelling argument or evidence to show that there is this stipulation on Great America to never use that land again.
Jodon

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on November 24th, 2014, 4:37 pm
RaceBoarder wrote: If Six Flags ever wanted to pursue a giga coaster, this would be the best place to do so... You have room to build and don't have to shoehorn the coaster in like we've seen with almost all of their projects as of late... :

Exactly agreeable. It's full of potential for something not as limited in space... If we wanted to persure in a Giga this is THE area. Same thing for a Stratra. But the chances of those happening?... Pretty slim. But if something like that would happen it should be on AE's land
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby DeathbyDinn on November 24th, 2014, 7:38 pm
^ Strata never. The one thing we do have proof on is that the park can't build that high.

Jodon wrote:I'm still curious to see/read evidence of this Gurnee stipulation/rule/law where nothing is to be built within 100 yds of Washington St. and I-94. If this stipulation was voted on, wouldn't there be record of it anywhere?

I've tried to find proof of it, never did. It seems like a weird rumor for someone to make up so I feel like there could be some truth behind it. But still would be nice to see some proof.
DeathbyDinn

Postby MNSFGAmfan on November 28th, 2014, 3:12 pm
I think it would be cool if they could give one side of American Eagle the RMC treatment and leave the other side alone. You could have one side turned into a amazing hybrid coaster, and have the other side keep the classic American Eagle experience. It probably isn't a likely scenario, but it could be interesting.
MNSFGAmfan

Postby CoasterCale on November 29th, 2014, 8:38 pm
MNSFGAmfan wrote:I think it would be cool if they could give one side of American Eagle the RMC treatment and leave the other side alone. You could have one side turned into a amazing hybrid coaster, and have the other side keep the classic American Eagle experience. It probably isn't a likely scenario, but it could be interesting.

Well SF seems to be going for records lately. (Even if they aren't published) I'm not positive, but wouldn't AE compete with Colossus if the tracks were combined for the longest hybrid?
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby DeathbyDinn on November 29th, 2014, 9:32 pm
^ AE is already almost as long as TC. TC is only 4,900 feet long. If AE should get the RMC treatment, I'm sure it would get a lot shorter though, so who knows.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 29th, 2014, 9:43 pm
^ AE is the longest wooden racing coaster, so even if it's much lamer, Iron Eagle would be longer than TC

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Necropolis on December 8th, 2014, 10:05 pm
Would the park even profit if they replaced AE with anything? I feel like if they took it down, they would place a small flat and/or a restaurant's and shops? Does AE even get a large turnout of people anymore? The last few times I rode it, wait time wasn't longer than 30 min. I remember when the lines went over the road that the employees use near where Wiggles World used to be. (I forget the name of that area now)
Necropolis

Postby Ace on December 9th, 2014, 7:28 pm
Just a couple years ago both sides would combine for over a million riders a year so it still gets a fair bit of traffic. However, I havent seen the line extend all the way to Kidzopolis in a long time.
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Just a couple years ago both sides would combine for over a million riders a year so it still gets a fair bit of traffic. However, I havent seen the line extend all the way to Kidzopolis in a long time.
Ace

Ace

Postby CoasterCale on December 9th, 2014, 10:51 pm
Ace wrote:Just a couple years ago both sides would combine for over a million riders a year so it still gets a fair bit of traffic. However, I havent seen the line extend all the way to Kidzopolis in a long time.

I guess you didn't go to Fright Fest this year. :wink:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby RaceBoarder on December 10th, 2014, 5:55 pm
CoasterCale wrote:
Ace wrote:Just a couple years ago both sides would combine for over a million riders a year so it still gets a fair bit of traffic. However, I havent seen the line extend all the way to Kidzopolis in a long time.

I guess you didn't go to Fright Fest this year. :wink:

That's the exception, not the rule... Of all the coasters, I would bet that Eagle probably has the shortest line at any given time...
RaceBoarder

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum