Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby FParker185 on April 21st, 2014, 8:11 pm
June 20 may be pushing it a little, but the fact that the tickets they handed out at all the events are for riding the ride on May 23'rd, you would think they'd have wanted it open around then. Figure it will open about 4-6 weeks from when the ride is complete, 2-3 weeks to wire it up and 2-3 weeks worth of adjustment and testing.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby kossdude1 on April 21st, 2014, 8:15 pm
^ In my opinion, latest they'll open it to the public is June 14th most likely, with a Media Day on the 12th and Season Pass Preview on the 13th.
Consecutive Trips Riding X Flight: 92
SFGAm Lifetime Trips: 104

kossdude1

Postby anewman35 on April 21st, 2014, 8:58 pm
Carlo wrote:Based on the video post from Lake County and the way Brandon hesitated to even mention a month. He just said just before summer makes me believe that it will open on or around June 20, 2014.

I guess you can take that same statement in very different ways - to me, I really doubt that when they say "summer" they're really thinking that "summer" starts on June 20th - they're talking about the "summer season", which traditionally starts Memorial Day weekend.

However, I think they're going to open it June 7th. Why? I have no idea, I just totally made up that date, but it's exactly as plausible as every other date that anybody has listed...
anewman35

Postby Cryptkeeper on April 21st, 2014, 10:52 pm
For years, I've been saying to myself, "One of these days, Six Flags will actually order a ride early enough and allow construction to get started earlier enough in a previous year so that the new attraction can open up the first day of the season even w/ bad weather in the winter - you know, how Cedar Fair parks do construction on new rides." But, alas, that never happens as SF never seems to care when a ride gets finished or else they would have construction start earlier in the previous season. SF only seems to care and market to summer gate, and I don't think that will change in my lifetime.
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby JimPanky on April 21st, 2014, 11:05 pm
the park is only weekends the 1st month anyways not a big deal to not have the new rides open b4 they go weekdays as well.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby untalented893 on April 21st, 2014, 11:11 pm
I think it's a sales strategy. People without season passes who come to the park early in the year see the new ride and want to ride it but can't. This makes them come back later in the year to ride it and buy another ticket. I could be wrong though. They have been doing this for as long as I can remember though. I remember when I was just a kid and they were building Raging Bull it didn't open until after opening day as well.
untalented893

Postby kossdude1 on April 21st, 2014, 11:17 pm
JimPanky wrote:the park is only weekends the 1st month anyways

Actually weekends only for the first two weeks of May. Operation usually goes daily the Wednesday before the third weekend. Or, at least that's what seems to be happening lol.
kossdude1

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2014, 9:07 am
kossdude1 wrote:^ In my opinion, latest they'll open it to the public is June 14th most likely, with a Media Day on the 12th and Season Pass Preview on the 13th.

I can totally see that happening. June 13th is the last day of school for me, so it would be nice to head down to Six Flags after school and ride Goliath.
CoasterMike

Postby Cedar Fair on April 22nd, 2014, 9:46 am
CoasterMike wrote:
kossdude1 wrote:^ In my opinion, latest they'll open it to the public is June 14th most likely, with a Media Day on the 12th and Season Pass Preview on the 13th.

I can totally see that happening. June 13th is the last day of school for me, so it would be nice to head down to Six Flags after school and ride Goliath.

Good luck with that... I can see the lines reaching beyond 4 hours long. Remember that when Kings Island opened Banshee, it had a long line? Yeah, 6 hours. Imagine Goliath which is breaking more records on is said to be more intense... Yikes! :shock:
This just in... 2015 is going to bring us...
A. The Great American SkyScreamer
B. Increased Admission Prices
C. Increased Parking Prices
D. More Gaping Holes
***Trip Reports May Vary***
Cedar Fair

Postby CoasterCale on April 22nd, 2014, 10:04 am
CoasterMike wrote:

EDIT: I graduate on the 12th and am planning to go to the park the next day anyways. :lol:
Last edited by CoasterCale on April 22nd, 2014, 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2014, 10:19 am
Well Friday the 13th will be the day for season pass holders so the lines shouldn't be too long.
CoasterMike

Postby CoasterCale on April 22nd, 2014, 10:37 am
CoasterMike wrote:Well Friday the 13th will be the day for season pass holders so the lines shouldn't be too long.

Well that will be fun 8) :lol:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby JimPanky on April 22nd, 2014, 11:38 am
CoasterMike wrote:Well Friday the 13th will be the day for season pass holders so the lines shouldn't be too long.

ha, there are plenty of season pass holders the lines will be long as heck lol
JimPanky

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on April 22nd, 2014, 11:44 am
Cedar Fair wrote:
CoasterMike wrote:

Good luck with that... I can see the lines reaching beyond 4 hours long. Remember that when Kings Island opened Banshee, it had a long line? Yeah, 6 hours. Imagine Goliath which is breaking more records on is said to be more intense... Yikes! :shock:

You also have to remember this is six flags were talking about not cedar fair! I was there opening day and the line to just get in the park was an hour....I only scene six flags like that once and it was FF in 2012
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby Cryptkeeper on April 22nd, 2014, 11:50 am
untalented893 wrote:I think it's a sales strategy. People without season passes who come to the park early in the year see the new ride and want to ride it but can't. This makes them come back later in the year to ride it and buy another ticket.

That's what SF marketing thinks. I'd venture to guess some people are like that, but I know as a fact that there are others who get pissed that the new ride isn't open and hence don't want to come back for the rest of the year. I've heard that from some others that I know this has happened to throughout the years.

I don't understand why they risk alienating the people that visit their park by having it ready later in the year. Oh well, it is what it is...and it will be that forever, it seems.
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby CoasterNick3157 on April 22nd, 2014, 12:17 pm
When I went to the tour in January Brandon said they hope to have the structure up by April. Won't happen.
I don't see Goliath line being 4 hours long. I've never seen 3 hours wait on any coaster in the park. Deja Vu doesn't count cause it breaks down too often anyways. Now during the peak Fright Fest maybe or the crazy Read To Succeed weekends.
CoasterNick3157

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on April 22nd, 2014, 1:03 pm
How long did it take X-Flight to open once the track was completed? I was really counting on a Memorial Day weekend opening but I guess that was a mistake on my part :? :?
Jerrykoala2112

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 22nd, 2014, 1:09 pm
^ Track complete March 15th, first test run April 12th, Commercial shoot May 7th, Media Day May 10th, Season Pass Preview May 12th-13th, Opened May 16th, 2012.
DejaVu2001

Postby DeathbyDinn on April 22nd, 2014, 5:02 pm
Here's how the station got longer and wider.

More here- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 355&type=1
DeathbyDinn

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 22nd, 2014, 5:07 pm
I still can not see how they can keep the old roof and not have it look like total garbage.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterMike on April 22nd, 2014, 5:11 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:Here's how the station got longer and wider.

Thanks for these pictures, DeathbyDinn. We really appreciate it! It's been a long time since Six Flags had posted pictures on Facebook.
CoasterMike

Postby Jacklw6499 on April 22nd, 2014, 5:45 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:Here's how the station got longer and wider.

Nice pictures! That really clears some things up!!
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on April 23rd, 2014, 7:22 am
I am glad to see the station will have a little more room for people waiting in line. During IW days, it was so crowded there! I do wonder what they will do with the roof. Will they replace it or extend it too? RMC needs to get that lift and zero G roll up soon! Hopefully both are up by the end of the week.
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby GoBears on April 23rd, 2014, 9:58 am
Bottom of the first drop is going in this morning...

Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby CoasterMike on April 23rd, 2014, 10:28 am
GoBears wrote:Bottom of the first drop is going in this morning...

AWESOME! Thank you for posting this, GoBears!
CoasterMike

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum