Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Iron Wolf Last Rides/Removal Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby [jonrev] on August 2nd, 2012, 2:13 am
DeathbyDinn wrote:except any that landed on a path

Passers-by took care of those real quick.
[jonrev]

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 5th, 2012, 8:47 pm
Its hard to believe that it has been a year since Iron Wolf has closed. 9-5-2011 Still think about it though. As much as I miss it I think it was a good idea to move it to Six Flags America because it probably gets more attention and riders there and it is probably also liked/appreciated better there than it was here.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Cole on September 5th, 2012, 9:00 pm
R.I.P Wolfie! Can't believe it's one year. I still miss your short lines and noisy station on busy days. Hope you're doing quite well at SFA.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby bludowise68 on September 30th, 2012, 10:45 pm
would be lot more easier getting a clone copy from apoclaypse coaster at six flags america and put it at the same location then we all live happily ever after. since it was 21 years old and our only stand-up coaster ever. why would Six Flags America decide to take our Iron Wolf away with X-Flight our new coaster of 2012?
bludowise68

Postby RollingCoasting on September 5th, 2016, 1:43 am
(Sorry if anyone is mad that I revived this, I've revivied 11 year old topics before so this shouldn't be a problem :P)

Wow, I can't believe it. It's been half of a decade since Iron Wolf gave it's last ride in the backwoods of Six Flags Great America. I miss seeing it's rustic crimson colored track peek out from behind Maw and Paw's. I miss seeing it on the park map.

Time really does fly, X-Flight will be 5 next years old next year. Wow.

R.I.P Wolfie, I hope I can get to SFA sometime soon so I can ride you. :(
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 5th, 2016, 1:47 am
Damn, 5 years do fly by.

It feels weirder that X Flight will be 5 next year than the fact that Wolf has been 5 years closed.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby stergmi on September 5th, 2016, 6:27 am
RollingCoasting wrote:(Sorry if anyone is mad that I revived this, I've revivied 11 year old topics before so this shouldn't be a problem :P)

Wow, I can't believe it. It's been half of a decade since Iron Wolf gave it's last ride in the backwoods of Six Flags Great America. I miss seeing it's rustic crimson colored track peek out from behind Maw and Paw's. I miss seeing it on the park map.

Time really does fly, X-Flight will be 5 next years old next year. Wow.

R.I.P Wolfie, I hope I can get to SFA sometime soon so I can ride you. :(

I visited her out there last year. She has some very nice theming and reminded how awful stand ups are

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby Tardis1972 on September 5th, 2016, 9:35 am
I have to admit I really do miss Iron Wolf. Mainly because it was one ride you almost never has to wait in line for. I'm also missing that turn through the loop, which was my favorite part of the ride. If I ever do make it to SFA I'll be glad to ride it one final time.
Tardis1972

Postby maxwellt on September 5th, 2016, 11:03 am
The more I look at it, the more I actually do miss iw, I mean, it wasn't my favorite at the park at all, but it was a b&m classic. I feel that, money wise, it wouldn't be much to recreate it, it wouldn't be over 20 million, and it would bring a stand up, which six flags seems to be keeping stand ups in their chain

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby stergmi on September 5th, 2016, 11:17 am
maxwellt wrote:The more I look at it, the more I actually do miss iw, I mean, it wasn't my favorite at the park at all, but it was a b&m classic. I feel that, money wise, it wouldn't be much to recreate it, it wouldn't be over 20 million, and it would bring a stand up, which six flags seems to be keeping stand ups in their chain

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

Yeah but 2 of their stand ups are in parks that already have Floorless rides so converting Chang and Jim Carey don't make sense unless something gets relocated

stergmi

Postby RollingCoasting on September 5th, 2016, 10:56 pm
Am I the only one who thinks Iron Wolf actually had better theming then Apocalypse? Maybe not "Better," but on par with Apocalypse.

Think about it - It was themed to an Iron Wolf. It's a steel coaster, hence the "Iron" part. I guess the train was "The Wolf" and it was placed ever-so perfectly, causing it to have many near misses with trees, creating that "Running through the forest" feel. I personally don't like how the whole "Hidden" aspect is non-existent with Apocalypse, but I guess it wasn't really needed for the theme.

In my opinion Iron Wolf had the best color scheme at Great America during it's 21-Year reign as well. I always loved how it looked on the map. You can even relate the colors to a wolf (Even though they're intended to be a reference to Jim Wintrode's college) I heard it on this site before (Though probably as a joke) that the crimson could represent the blood of the wolf's prey.

I really wish Six Flags kept it at our park (Which Hank Salemi stated early in June 2011, that it would be staying. Yes I know he couldn't of told anyone, but atleast don't lie about it). It would've been nice to see the park invest money on new Stand-Up trains if it was really that bad. Plus they could've started a Chicago Wolves sponsorship (Six Flags loves money, right? :D) Iron Wolf had the biggest vertical loop in the park too, something that we now lack. (Even though it wasn't nearly as big as say a Floorless Coaster loop)
RollingCoasting

Postby mugnezz on September 7th, 2016, 4:39 am
no! apocalypse has a nice color combination with an excellent theme.
iron wolf was abboandonato
mugnezz

Postby RollingCoasting on September 22nd, 2016, 1:57 am
But Iron Wolf's theme fit in naturally, I think that's pretty cool. If the entrance was in Yukon Territory, it'd have made 100% Sense
RollingCoasting

Postby Viper 88 on September 26th, 2016, 12:45 pm
You really want to think about time the water park IS a decade old. And next season Splashwater Falls and Space Shuttle America will be gone 10 years. Even more surreal is that SkyWhirl, Cajun Cliffhanger and Hay Baler have been gone 16 years! :o
Viper 88

Postby RollingCoasting on September 26th, 2016, 3:37 pm
Geez time really flies.. SFGAmworld will be 15 years old at the end of next year!
RollingCoasting

Postby stergmi on September 26th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Viper 88 wrote:You really want to think about time the water park IS a decade old. And next season Splashwater Falls and Space Shuttle America will be gone 10 years. Even more surreal is that SkyWhirl, Cajun Cliffhanger and Hay Baler have been gone 16 years! :o

I miss that Hay Baler... Like a lot.

stergmi

Postby RollingCoasting on September 26th, 2016, 10:27 pm
Never got to ride it. There's so many defunct rides I've missed :cry: Oh well. I'm sure when the next generation of enthusiasts rolls around I'll have a pretty big list to brag about, too.
RollingCoasting

Postby Mean Streaker on September 27th, 2016, 1:15 am
RollingCoasting wrote:Never got to ride it. There's so many defunct rides I've missed :cry: Oh well. I'm sure when the next generation of enthusiasts rolls around I'll have a pretty big list to brag about, too.

*Tears running down face* Someday I'll be able to tell my kids about the greatest ride ever closed, Mean Streak.

RIP Mean Streak 1991-2016
Mean Streaker

Postby RollingCoasting on September 27th, 2016, 1:25 am
Greatest ride ever, eh? Last time I checked, Raging Bull's still here :wink: (I don't have many credits :p)
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on September 27th, 2016, 2:52 am
haha when I first posted in this thread, I said I was waiting for this ride to go. I'm not that upset she's gone. Did I have good rides? Yes but it wasn't the worst decision relocating this beast. After all, we got Goliath a few years later & that's one of the greatest decisions the parks ever made.

You make a valid point with flying through the trees, I do love that. That's one of the best qualities Whizzer has. But guys, she was so rough in her last few years here. It almost felt neglected maintainance wise. I love rough rides but, damn this thing tore up my ears no matter how I rode it. Throughout the years & especially after working a season on Mantis at CP, I perfected a way to ride all stand ups but in the last year here, it wasn't even helping anymore. Somethin was off. RIP Iron Wolf.

I also find it interesting that a zacspin being added was mentioned a few pages back. Pretty damn close ;)
gottastrata33

Postby Mean Streaker on September 27th, 2016, 9:34 am
RollingCoasting wrote:Greatest ride ever, eh? Last time I checked, Raging Bull's still here :wink: (I don't have many credits :p)

Just the best ride ever closed.
Mean Streaker

Postby stergmi on September 27th, 2016, 11:48 am
Mean Streaker wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:Greatest ride ever, eh? Last time I checked, Raging Bull's still here :wink: (I don't have many credits :p)

Just the best ride ever closed.

Are we talking about Shockwave!?!?!
stergmi

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 27th, 2016, 12:43 pm
Gulf Coaster?

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on September 27th, 2016, 3:36 pm
Back on topic...

R.I.P. Wolfie :cry:
RollingCoasting

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum