Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

CHANG WATCH: The Official Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gl_2007 on May 13th, 2010, 2:21 am
Perhaps I can clear this up. Ameri-Go-Round originally started off in Kentucky at Fountain Ferry Park. When Fountain Ferry closed, Ameri-Go-Round was bought by Great America, which was later bought by Six Flags along with Kentucky Kingdom. It was never part of Kentucky Kingdom. What saccard01 is talking about is bringing Ameri-Go-Round back to Kentucky and putting it in the old Hellevator spot. While there have been rumors of Ameri-Go-Round returning to Kentucky floating around for a while now, they are just rumors with no real evidence. The likelihood of Ameri-Go-Round ever actually coming back was, and still is, slim to none. Like onyxhotel08 said though, this is way off topic. I just thought I had to clear it up.
gl_2007

Postby Paradise on May 13th, 2010, 10:01 am
WHATEVER.....ABOUT CHANG.....
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm
Zoning Hearing is this month...just like I thought
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby BrianPlencner on May 13th, 2010, 12:10 pm
^ The sign is a good indication of this. Of course, once the official agenda is released then we will know for sure.

I'm on the mailing list (as I've said before) so when the Village sends it out, I'll let everyone know if the park is on it.

If you have not done so, you can also bookmark this page

http://www.gurnee.il.us/zoning_board/zba_agendas.html

That will always show the agenda as well. Right now, it has information from the April meeting, which was canceled.

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 22nd, 2010, 12:50 pm
Public Hearing: Variation at 542 N. Route 21 (Six Flags Great America Park), for Great America, LLC
(Great America, LLC has submitted a variation petition to exceed the 125 foot height restriction to allow for the construction of a new roller coaster ride to a maximum height of 150.17 feet that will be located in the Space Port area. The subject property is the existing Six Flags Great America Park (located between Grand Ave and Washington St and Rte 21 and the I-94 Tollway) and is zoned C/S-1 Outdoor Recreational District.)

I thought Chang was 154 feet tall?
onyxhotel08

Postby Cole on May 22nd, 2010, 1:17 pm
GCI!
Maybe its just going to be a estimate?
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Paradise on May 22nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Maybe they are taking the Six Flags Discovery Kingdom route...(ala V2.5.) hahhaa
Paradise

Postby Paradise on May 22nd, 2010, 2:19 pm
I'd take this as a grain of salt (like any wiki reference) but it says on Chang's Wikipedia page the ride is confirmed at sfgam and there are footers in place?

EDIT: Can anyone verify this?
Paradise

Postby david on May 22nd, 2010, 2:51 pm
It is almost completely impossible that they have footers in, and they have yet to close off the needed parking lot area. BS. Just like the time someone thought it would be bright to post that the park confirmed Chang as Green lantern for 2011. psh.
david

Postby sfgamfan717 on May 22nd, 2010, 2:57 pm
http://www.gurnee.il.us/zoning_board/zba_agendas.html
4. Public Hearing: Variation at 542 N. Route 21 (Six Flags Great America Park), for Great America, LLC
(Great America, LLC has submitted a variation petition to exceed the 125 foot height restriction to allow for the construction of a new roller coaster ride to a maximum height of 150.17 feet that will be located in the Space Port area. The subject property is the existing Six Flags Great America Park (located between Grand Ave and Washington St and Rte 21 and the I-94 Tollway) and is zoned C/S-1 Outdoor Recreational District.)

Chang, here we come!! Hell Ya!

EDIT: Oops oxnyhotel beat me to it.
My new name is Aeater333
sfgamfan717

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 22nd, 2010, 3:19 pm
When can land clearing begin assuming this goes smoothly from now on? July/August? And if the go karts do stay they will have to be bumped over to the SWF area THIS season. Construction should go on over there too. So wait Chang is about 58 feet shorter than Bull?
onyxhotel08

Postby wishman35 on May 22nd, 2010, 3:32 pm
I really hope the ride is converted. Even though a bigger standup would be preferrable to Iron Wolf, It really seems dopey to have two standups or even adding another one to begin with. Even the good standups are not liked by most people. They are always going to be rough to those who do not know how to ride them right.

I am all for the new ride, of any time, but it will be more of a "new" ride if it is not just a bigger version of something we already have.
wishman35

Postby Cole on May 22nd, 2010, 4:22 pm
I want Chang as a floorless for a few reasons.

1- Floorless models are beast.
2- I want a Wolfie Makeover, Chang trains.
3- I HATE standups.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Paradise on May 22nd, 2010, 4:35 pm
Bizzaro Badger wrote:2- I want a Wolfie Makeover, Chang trains.
3- I HATE standups.

So are you saying if Wolfie had Chang trains, that you would LIKE the standup? :wink:
Paradise

Postby rct2wizard360 on May 22nd, 2010, 5:03 pm
The proposed area being in SSA's old spot worries me. I hope they put some effort into the parking lot...
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 22nd, 2010, 5:22 pm
Honestly, I would not be surprised if they did try and make Chang as new as possible for marketing purposes and remember no park likes to get rid of rides that may have life left in them. Wolf is a classic just a rough classic. New trains for Chang and paint/theme would work wonders and with Chang's trains Iron Wolf could easily last another 10 years! Maybe they might even give Wolf Chang trains so they can eventually send it to another park that needs a stand up more than we do. And they can always add a killer flat in Wolfs spot.
onyxhotel08

Postby monsterfan99 on May 22nd, 2010, 6:24 pm
rct2wizard360 wrote:The proposed area being in SSA's old spot worries me. I hope they put some effort into the parking lot...

What, you don't want the awesome theme of being a parking lot coaster like Scream?
monsterfan99

Postby Chitown on May 22nd, 2010, 6:48 pm
Guys. This is Chang coming. Not a GCI (which that company I don't believe would ever build one that tall. Let's end any other possibilities because there aren't any. This is a done deal.

I think the 154ft height stat like on RCDB is off because from what I remember, no rides in SFKK could go over 150ft due to FAA regulations from the airport so my guess is the height variance request to the Gurnee board is the proper height.

As far as worrying about it being a parking lot coaster, only the lift hill, first drop and first loop would occupy the lot. The rest of the layout would be in the SSA/Go-Kart area.

They will probably plant trees and grass under the structure so it won't appear like it was in the lot kind of like Superman.

Now we can still speculate whether this thing gets converted.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby david on May 22nd, 2010, 8:06 pm
I think the park would be stupid not to convert to a floorless, think about it.

1- The floorless coaster will be new to the GP, and will catch enthusiasts as it's the first conversion from stand-up to a floorless.
2- Six Flags and B&M have already toyed around with the audio additions on Floorless trains, it might be easier for B&M and Six Flags to get the floorless trains.
3- "The Wolfie Benefit" Iron Wolf will be able to get new trains, and even if it doesn't the park has some well-maintained B&M original stand-up coaster trains to sell, each probably worth around $20,000 which could go to the 'new train fund'.

If it does remain stand-up, Wolfie is dead, not because of age, or roughness, but people will get the same experience with it being far less rough. I guess it would be me riding Wolfie alone. lol
david

Postby gottastrata33 on May 22nd, 2010, 8:41 pm
To be honest, as this has been mentioned before, I don't know what the hype is with most over a 13yr old coaster. However, ill admit I'm one of these people. Reason being, I'm just excited to accept a new major rollercoaster. Chang is huge, may not be a hyper giga or strata but if this was brand new I think any park would be happy to receive a beautiful reliable Beemer. Now I'm one of the only people who love standups. Even after my first trip to CP back in 2006, I held Wolfie in the top of my list. Mantis & Riddlers Revenge are/is one of my facorite B&Ms. Workin on Mantis gave me more appreciation for the b&m standups but I think it has more to do with the fact that they're not as cookie cutter as most beemers. Another issue is when I started this topic, I "knew" it wasn't true...though my opinion has drastically changed from rumor to poss reality, I still have a slight feelin we could see her end up in another park such as SFStl. IF she makes her home here, I have full faith that SFGAm will make it nice givin it an "area of attention". Like said, SUF was in the spot of our huge parking lot coaster, and it was given decent to good landscaping, so I have no worry concrete is an issue. Were a foliage kinda park, and in my opinion still the nicest SF park I've been to next to SFOG. Am I excited? Will I be happy? HELL YES BOYS & GIRLS! We shall see what the future holds, and I hope its loopy ;) That is all. Thank you for your time haha.
gottastrata33

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 22nd, 2010, 10:35 pm
There are no ifs about it. Chang will start to go up within 4 months. Looks like Six Flags will pay some dough to SFKK for Bonzai Beach.
onyxhotel08

Postby Chitown on May 22nd, 2010, 10:42 pm
1. One day admission to get in the park (if you are stupid enough to pay full price)? $54.99

2. Cost to park your car in the front lot (if you are to lazy to park in the back)? $25.00

3. Experiencing 5 Beemers for the first time in 1 park? PRICELESS!!!!!!
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby rct2wizard360 on May 22nd, 2010, 11:40 pm
^I would like to nominate this for post of the season.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 23rd, 2010, 12:04 am
5 in one park is quite an accomplishment...
onyxhotel08

Postby gottastrata33 on May 23rd, 2010, 12:20 am
I was about to say the same thing, haha...great post ;)

Having 5 B&Ms in one park will be amazing...........as long as we open first next to SFGADv, SFOG, or SFMM in the "IF case" they were to receive one. Werent we first to receive 4?1 but thats iffy seein SFGAdv opens first every year. I DONT KNOW! haha
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum