Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby cliffhanger on July 18th, 2018, 12:52 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:Hopefully this is a sign that the themed music will be phased back into other parts of the park. The area that needs it the most in my opinion is Carousel Plaza definitely. I'm hoping for the upcoming Mardi Gras Festival they will bring back the Dixieland music to Orleans Place and Mardi Gras (possibly permanently, please :D ).

I really hope the background music is coming back. Right now it's FOREGROUND music. Seriously, hearing the same 15 pop songs all day is so annoying. Not to mention not all the songs are appropriate. If you have to mute-censor part of a song, it shouldn't be playing. If they want more modern music, they can still have it themed.Country in SWT, electro-swing in HTS, poppy jazz in OP, etc. I remember a few years back, they were playing newer big band muisc in HTS. Sounded great!
cliffhanger

Share On

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 18th, 2018, 1:06 pm
^ Oh yeah then I'll be in SWT all day hearing some Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan. As for themed music I like seeing it come back for some Disney vibe knowing I won't go to any Disney Theme Parks anytime soon.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm
Thank God! Getting rid of the themed music was stupid and pointless. That themed music is a staple of Great America and that pop music sucks.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Not to mention that they even replaced the X-Flight and Goliath station music with pop music. I mean, don't we suffer enough on the midways? Do we really need it in the ride stations too? :lol:
SFGAm Ride Count 2016: 217
SFGAm Ride Count 2017: 76
SFGAm Ride Count 2018 (So Far): 183
RBullFan97

Postby benneluke on July 18th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I noticed in the outside queue for BTR, they were playing loud pop music alongside the "kids playing" sound effects. I thought for a second it was music from the Batman soundtrack, but I never heard it in this area before.

The pop music in Goliath and X-Flight is strange. I wonder if some wires got crossed or something. I wouldn't have thought those speakers would be connected to the same system for the park music.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 2:59 pm
I'm pretty sure the music in the BTR outside queue is the same they play in the station.
RBullFan97

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
benneluke wrote:I noticed in the outside queue for BTR, they were playing loud pop music alongside the "kids playing" sound effects. I thought for a second it was music from the Batman soundtrack, but I never heard it in this area before.

The pop music in Goliath and X-Flight is strange. I wonder if some wires got crossed or something. I wouldn't have thought those speakers would be connected to the same system for the park music.

I work in AV and I’m pretty sure the entire park is all connected and they’re able to send whatever they want to wherever they want. Mutuiple input sources and they can direct it to wherever they want it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm
What about the Superman various types of music in that line? They shut off all that music leading to the station. Only the station has the main Superman song over and over again.

They should bring all these back in the Superman line:
"Superman Movie Theme" - John Williams - This is the only one they play in the station.
"Batman Superman Adventures (1997)"
"The New Justice League Theme"
"Lois and Clark (1995)" -Lois and Clark theme
"The Flying Sequence" - John Williams
"The Planet Krypton" - London Symphony Orchestra
Ilovthevu'

Postby benneluke on July 18th, 2018, 4:18 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:I work in AV and I’m pretty sure the entire park is all connected and they’re able to send whatever they want to wherever they want.

Cool. I always thought ride music came from a source somewhere near/at the ride. I think that might be the case at Demon though.
benneluke

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 18th, 2018, 4:31 pm
benneluke wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:I work in AV and I’m pretty sure the entire park is all connected and they’re able to send whatever they want to wherever they want.

Cool. I always thought ride music came from a source somewhere near/at the ride. I think that might be the case at Demon though.

Nah, I’m sure there is a building somewhere on the property designated for A/V equipment. Usually you have some sort of rack with all the components being in there and then it’s run through the park using cat6 cable. Their server is prolly something from Cisco and that allows you to send any signal anywhere. So basically depending on how their speakers are wired, if they have 12 different inputs then they could send the first input to the first speaker in the queue at X-Flight and the second to the second and so on. It’s actually very cool. Everything at my work is controlled through a iPad with the simple touch of a button.

B&MGuy35

Postby benneluke on July 18th, 2018, 4:49 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Nah, I’m sure there is a building somewhere on the property designated for A/V equipment.

What I wouldn't do to get a tour of all the techie stuff around GAm. Those types of things are so interesting to me.
benneluke

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 18th, 2018, 5:44 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:What about the Superman various types of music in that line? They shut off all that music leading to the station. Only the station has the main Superman song over and over again.

They should bring all these back in the Superman line:
"Superman Movie Theme" - John Williams - This is the only one they play in the station.
"Batman Superman Adventures (1997)"
"The New Justice League Theme"
"Lois and Clark (1995)" -Lois and Clark theme
"The Flying Sequence" - John Williams
"The Planet Krypton" - London Symphony Orchestra

I always loved John Williams' music and never complained how they kept repeating it in Superman's station. To me roll it all you want since it's better than that annoying pop music in the midways.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby RollingCoasting on July 18th, 2018, 10:21 pm
https://www.facebook.com/JiggidyNDG/pho ... =3&theater

Is the park finally installing a refill station? :o
RollingCoasting

Postby Lizardgi on July 19th, 2018, 7:22 am
Bringing back themed music would be a huge step in the right direction. I try to fill out a park survey each time I receive one and I always leave constructive criticism and comments that I perceive as being realistic. I know me screaming for them to add a giga won't do anything, but I always comment on the terribly annoying music blasted around the park and ask them to tone it down and bring back the better themed music loops. Hopefully the park is listening and also realizing they need to start takings steps to make the park more family friendly.

Also, if true the soda refill station would be amazing. Just a few of these around the park would significantly help cut down lines elsewhere. It doesn't make sense for the park to pay an employee to do free refills all day when the guest can be getting their own and the same employee could be selling other items that actually turn a profit.
Lizardgi

Postby RBullFan97 on July 19th, 2018, 10:07 am
Lizardgi wrote:Bringing back themed music would be a huge step in the right direction. I try to fill out a park survey each time I receive one and I always leave constructive criticism and comments that I perceive as being realistic. I know me screaming for them to add a giga won't do anything, but I always comment on the terribly annoying music blasted around the park and ask them to tone it down and bring back the better themed music loops. Hopefully the park is listening and also realizing they need to start takings steps to make the park more family friendly.

Yes I say this in the surveys too. I suggest if any of you want to see the old music come back just keep hammering it home in every survey you take (in a polite and constructive manner of course), so hopefully they'll get the message.

And yes, a refill station would be a welcome addition.
RBullFan97

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 19th, 2018, 4:10 pm
If only they would add refill stations with Coke Freestyles (sigh). Although any refill station would be amazing. Instead of waiting in an hour food line just for a refill.
1.) Goliath 2.) Mystic Timbers 3.) Diamondback 4.) Raging Bull 5.) Hades 360
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby Eagle04 on July 19th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Another aspect with the themed music is today more than ever people are more diverse in music tastes. There is no Ed Sullivan, MTV and common place that allows any single music to define a generation, let alone the multiple generations that a theme park attracts.

Themed music should be that middle ground that bothers or offends no one while still creating the atmosphere they are looking for.
Eagle04

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 20th, 2018, 2:13 pm
I totally agree with the positive comments about bringing back the themed music! Not only is it better than the pop stuff, but it's definitely more family friendly.

And maybe another effect is that riff-raff that don't like it won't come into the park?
Single Day Ride Count Records

Without Flash Pass - 41 rides 8/19/2016 (Coasters After Dark)

With Platinum Flash Pass - 51 rides 7/15/2016

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CoasterRiderSC

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 20th, 2018, 3:26 pm
^ So most of the people that go to SFGAM. Fine by me :).
_FuryBull_330_

Postby TEDDSTER on July 21st, 2018, 8:09 pm
Did they stop saying "take five" before the "all clear" this year? I went a few days ago and I did not hear a single "take five" like I did last year. Just curious
TEDDSTER

Postby RollingCoasting on July 21st, 2018, 8:16 pm
Yup. As of the 2017 season, they no longer say "Take Five"
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 21st, 2018, 8:30 pm
I noticed that too. While on X-Flight the operator just said, "Train secure." and then "All clear." and I was confused lol even though it isn't a big deal.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 22nd, 2018, 5:19 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Yup. As of the 2017 season, they no longer say "Take Five"

Wasn’t the Take 5 something with a corporate sponsor with the candy where they had to say it?

B&MGuy35

Postby coasterkidd100 on July 22nd, 2018, 7:09 pm
The "Take 5" was a safety thing that the rides department made up to make sure that ride attendants were checking final items before starting a ride or dispatching a train. The "Take 5" reminded ride attendants to check their gates, guests, restraints, ride areas, and safety zones before starting a ride. When I worked there we were forced to memorize these five items before being able to operate rides.
coasterkidd100

Postby Muck Finnesota on July 23rd, 2018, 8:49 am
Went to the park for the first time this year yesterday (7/22) and was glad to hear some of the old themed music playing, albeit only in select spots, as advertised (upthread). The majority of the park continues to blare obnoxious ADD f**kmusic at absurd volumes. How many times can one listen to "Cake by the Ocean" before the idea of eating a bullet begins to permeate one's thoughts? I learned yesterday that the answer to that question, for me, is once. I hope the employees that hear it on loop all day have a higher tolerance.
Last edited by Muck Finnesota on July 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum