Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coasterfanatic on August 22nd, 2017, 1:50 pm
anewman35 wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:Personally, I am not a big fan of either. I likely won't ride the Superloop. But it is cool that we are getting the tallest one, if those rumors hold true.

I am definitely not sure of the color scheme. Honestly, the Bourbon Street Fireball theme would fit perfectly for Mardi Gras, but with the recent accident involving a ride called Fireball at at a carnival, Six Flags probably wants to shy away from that name.

If Six Flags is avoiding the name Fireball because of an accident that I'm sure very few people even heard of, but they're willing to use Hurricane when a Hurricane killed tons of people in the place the land is themed to (AND destroyed a Six Flags park there)...I really don't understand Six Flags.

True true. That was purely speculation on my part. I don't see why they wouldn't call it Bourbon Street Fireball since it's going in Mardi Gras section.
coasterfanatic

Postby gottastrata33 on August 22nd, 2017, 1:51 pm
I was honestly thinkin the same thing. I think a Hurricane themed attraction is in bad taste in the Mardi Gras section. There's so much more you could theme/name it too. We own the rights to Voodoo, do that instead. So I agree, why take the risk in offending?
gottastrata33

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 22nd, 2017, 1:57 pm
I hope they keep the pond in front of King Chaos.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Goku1910 on August 22nd, 2017, 2:13 pm
When did six flags actually make a statement saying they were avoiding those names? Source?
Goku1910

Postby Wisco Woody on August 22nd, 2017, 2:14 pm
The Larson Loop is garbage and useless when we already have several looping rides in the park. And as for an S&S winged looper or skywarp, X-Flight alone makes both of those completely redundant, but one of those 3 additions is sadly very possible. I believe that corporate is treating our Park very similarly to New England, adding an RMC and 4D in the adjacent and then same years, and hopefully now adding a Giant Discovery in the same year. A Skyscreamer is actually very possible, as people forget that the permitting and local council meeting info for approving Goliath didn't get out until very late.
Wisco Woody

Postby coasterfanatic on August 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm
Goku1910 wrote:When did six flags actually make a statement saying they were avoiding those names? Source?

They didn't. I never said they did. I said it was pure speculation.

But with the "Chasing the Storm" theme, the Hurricane Force 5 makes sense, and it appears to be a SuperLoop.
coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on August 22nd, 2017, 3:12 pm
Wisco Woody wrote: A Skyscreamer is actually very possible, as people forget that the permitting and local council meeting info for approving Goliath didn't get out until very late.

The next meeting of the zoning board isn't until after the announcement. It's not happening.
anewman35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 22nd, 2017, 7:08 pm
I'd love to see some theming, but it's sixflags so there isn't gonna be much.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 22nd, 2017, 8:56 pm
What is the height of a standard super loop? If we are looking at a custom sized super loop I would have no idea how much larger it is lol. While I am not a fan of the addition it is not a horrendous one. I am feeling this ride will be one of the "firsts" or whatever, and a custom super loop fits the bill.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 22nd, 2017, 8:57 pm
I'm pretty sure the standard height is 60 feet? Correct me if I'm wrong.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on August 22nd, 2017, 9:07 pm
Dan The Coaster Man wrote:What is the height of a standard super loop? If we are looking at a custom sized super loop I would have no idea how much larger it is lol. While I am not a fan of the addition it is not a horrendous one. I am feeling this ride will be one of the "firsts" or whatever, and a custom super loop fits the bill.

I really don't think they'd be able to sell a bigger super loop as any sort of first. I mean, maybe they'll technically call it one, but "first super loop ride that's 100 feet tall!" isn't great marketing material.
anewman35

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 22nd, 2017, 9:13 pm
^ You are right and I agree it is not great marketing material but I believe they could still go forward with that. Opportunities for "firsts" are hard to achieve so if an opportunity comes they will go with it. Like, I hate how they call them coasters, but I understand and agree with marketing them as one. "First super loop ride that's 100 feet tall!" or (not sure if it would be) "World's tallest super loop!"... I see them going with that.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby maxwellt on August 22nd, 2017, 9:19 pm
Or worlds tallest looping flat ride, lol then they wouldnt advertise it as a coaster
maxwellt

Postby gottastrata33 on August 22nd, 2017, 10:11 pm
Regardless of many coasters having 100ft+ tall inversions, for any ride or coaster, saying "upside down 100ft in the air" is something to market.

I really won't mind this addition if it's said to be a looping ride. I will be embarrassed for us if they try to say it's our new roller coaster.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 22nd, 2017, 10:38 pm
You know how, to some of you, it's the worst thing in the world that they might call a Super Loop a coaster?

That's how I feel every time somebody complains about it. Drives me up the wall. Who cares? Why does it matter? It's the same ride. The Six Flags website doesn't even break Roller Coasters into their own category, so it would only even matter in the press copy...

Cedar Point calls Pipe Scream a roller coaster. If Cedar Point can call Pipe Scream a roller coaster, it's really not embarrassing to call a Super Loop a roller coaster.

Also worth pointing out that some Six Flags call it a coaster (but some don't), and we're not even sure we're getting one yet, so it seems like a really weird thing to be worrying about at this point.

I have some feelings on this topic, can you tell?
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2017, 2:42 am
I can tell cause you're expressing them. & you're allowed to, just as I am about a ride being called a roller coaster when it isn't. So be irritated all you want & we can discuss it.

Pipe scream makes more sense but also irritated me a bit when it was announced. Why it's embarassing is because SFGAm, to me, seems like a world class theme park. It's a big park & should really start seeing itself that way more. It needs to start focusing on larger rides for capacity reasons, not necessarily records. Receiving a loop & calling it a coaster seems silly when you have great coasters like Xflight & Goliath in your park. That's where it's "embarassing" is the fact you want to lie a superloop in that same catergory of "high class thrills" along with RB, XF, Goliath, etc.

For example: getting Joker was great, I love the coaster - but a park like ours should have received a larger model or the X2 type 4D coaster. but it didn't happen. So I'll always think that. That doesn't mean I hate the ride for it not being something it isn't. A super loop will have the same effect.
gottastrata33

Postby Tardis1972 on August 23rd, 2017, 8:26 am
I personally wouldn't care if it is a Super Loop and is marketed as a roller coaster.
Tardis1972

Postby JimPanky on August 23rd, 2017, 11:00 am
A super loop is possible. Six Flags has done several lately at other parks. That could have a storm themed name. And they have not avoided the name Fireball. Six Flags America has Bourbon Street Fireball.
JimPanky

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2017, 11:49 am
I'm all for the D.C. themes/names but honestly, it will be nice to see more attractions not carrying the D.C. brand whether it's called Hurricane, Fireball or Cabinet, I don't care. ;D
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2017, 11:50 am
gottastrata33 wrote:I was honestly thinkin the same thing. I think a Hurricane themed attraction is in bad taste in the Mardi Gras section. There's so much more you could theme/name it too. We own the rights to Voodoo, do that instead. So I agree, why take the risk in offending?

I actually would NOT like the name Voodoo on any ride. Sounds very creepy and evil, but that's just my opinion!
As for for the word hurricane, we already have Hurricane Harbor, so should they rename that so nobody is upset?

Are we absolutely certain King Chaos is leaving? Could the life preserver mean it's being saved (and thus staying) ??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2017, 11:54 am
I get the Voodoo thing but creepy is cool ;) I'm just sayin there's so much awesomeness to New Orleans that names for a Mardi Gras section could come easy.

The park made it official on Instagram (where I saw it) that King Choas is leaving for sure.
gottastrata33

Postby staticshadows on August 23rd, 2017, 12:08 pm
Last edited by staticshadows on August 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2017, 12:18 pm
Ok that's also a tv show that has made quite a bit of bad decisions for comedy.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2017, 12:42 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I actually would NOT like the name Voodoo on any ride. Sounds very creepy and evil, but that's just my opinion!
As for for the word hurricane, we already have Hurricane Harbor, so should they rename that so nobody is upset?

The word "Hurricane" with a generic tropical theme = fine

The word "Hurricane" with a New Orleans theme = potentially problematic

This is not difficult.
Last edited by anewman35 on August 23rd, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on August 23rd, 2017, 12:44 pm
Last edited by staticshadows on August 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum