Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Eurotrip Day 4- Fort Fun, Veghel Kirmes

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby FParker185 on November 3rd, 2006, 4:30 am
Well, woke up somewhat on time, at least it was before checkout and I headed out towards Fort Fun which is far off the highway in the German countryside, was not looking forwards to this drive after the Austria driving fiasco, but with little choice I hit the road and followed the directions to the highway exit where I started following my directions which again made no sense so I tossed them in the back seat and drove on instinct alone, looked at my atlas wrote down the names of major towns between me and the park and at every intersection in Germany there are pointer signs telling you the next few towns on that road and I followed the signs to Bestwig/Wasserfall and after a bit of that the yellow pointer sign started appearing on street corners directing me to Fort Fun which I found with little problem (and new confidence for driving now that i figured out the road system).

I pull into the lot grab the waist pack and head towards the front gate buying a €3 parking token on the way, as in Europe when parks charge for parking how they do it is you go in, park then either at the ticket booth or parking hut you buy a token and keep that with you for the day and at the end of the day when you leave the lot there is a gate and a place next to the car to insert your token which will get the gate to go up, neat and efficient system, also profitable for the park for those who loose their large bulky parking token :)

Well parking token goes into waist pack where it's safe and I pay my admittance fee and head to the first ride I see being Devils Mine, a coaster made by Vekoma and relocated by FAB, was basically a custom roller skater which was decent but nothing to write home about. From there I ride the ferris wheel and realize just how enormus the park is. The park is in a valley between 2 mountains so it's narrow but very very long, and also there is another part of the park on top of one of the mountains. Real nice setting.

So yeah, from there I ride random rides pretty much garden variety flat rides along with a Vekoma Whirlwind which is one of their corkscrew versions like what Knoebels had, runs smooth and provides a good ride believe it or not, and another Zierer Ladybug coaster also called Marienkäferbahn, also there was a Mondial Shake at the park which I rode and it gave a substandard ride (Michael Wood's Magnum here in the US is 10x better), so I wander around and ride all the nifty flats then I track down the real reason I was there... Trapper Slider, which amounts to a 1,000 foot tall coaster, it's an Alpine coaster, which is just like an alpine slide but with tubular steel track and brakes you control. There is POV online somewhere, I will find it and post at a later date. But you get on the car in the station (holds 2 people, tandem seating), then after a few seconds the operator lets you let go of the brake and coast to the lifthill, which takes about 2-3 mins to climb, and from there you get to control it all you want, of course the 3 times I was able to ride it I was behind slow people, though my final ride I stopped at the top of the ride and waited to be rearended by the sled coming up off the lift, so then I let go of the brake, so I'm tearing down the track at perverted speed, getting ejector airtime and nasty laterals that were making the entire structure sway and made my upstop wheels make unsettling noises, I was having a kickass time til I caught up with the car in front of me and they were taking their sweet time so I slam on the brakes, they start smoking and I slam into the back of their car and I ride their ass the rest of the way down, fun was had by all.

I ended up leaving the park around 3pm, after about 5 hours in the park which seemed like enough time for me to do everything I wanted. I would have liked to stay longer but when I planned my trip I was unaware that convieneintly located just 70 miles off the highway was the town of Veghel in the Netherlands (hotel tonight was in Belgium) and at this carnival (called Kirmes in German) there was a little ride called XXL, which is KMG's newest creation an afterburner that swings to 45 meters (about 10 feet taller than the Huss Giant Frisbee), Veghel was like 4 hours from where I was at so I needed to get going so I could get there with some daylight and not get lost in darkness.

So I get to the highway leave Germany and cross into the Netherlands, I get off the highway and it's a fairly main road going to Veghel, that is until I hit the first of many detours and get horribly lost but keep heading in the right general direction, anyways I finally get there by following the super massive pendulum that I spotted about 10 mins before I got there, so I get there and find parking in a store parking lot where I park (parking rules are different in Europe, and what I did was legal), and I walked the 4 or so blocks to the Kirmes where I take in the sight of a 147 foot Afterburner doing it's thing. Wont go into extreme detail but XXL is one of the best rides i've ridden to date, puts all other frisbees to shame (more on that in other TR's), it's the fastest most intense carnival ride I have ever laid eyes on (80mph at full speed), so after 2 rides on that (€2.50/ride), I check out other novelties at the fair, where I find a clone of the Mondial Shake made by Fabbri (€2.00/ride) rode once and was mildly impressed as the ride it gave was comperable to a Mondial Shake despite being italian, also came across a Reverchon Explorer called Hyper (€1.50/ride) took one ride, saw a KMG Speed called Cyber One and I was shocked to see it at €3.50 a ride (it's a SkyScraper ride), so I cram into the restraint that I barely fit in and enjoy my ride on that, nice long ride also, then I walk about 3 blocks down a city street where i found another block of rides, a Superstar (€2.00/ride) rode once, it was the most intense ride I think I've ridden, pointlessly intense it's like a spin out here in the US exept way bigger and the main ride doesnt spin, just the claw, and it spins damn fast to the point where it's hard to breathe, while the arm the claw is on flips upsidedown and keeps you there for way to long. Then there was a Gravitron called and themed to Star Wars which I didnt ride along with a funhouse and some other stuff. Went back up to the main part of the fair and rode a Polyp called Blue Power(€1.50/ride) and rode once, then I went back over to XXL and rode twice more, also there that I didnt ride was a large Ferris Wheel, maybe a dozen kiddie rides and a few other random things. So after my 2 XXL rides I decided I had spent enough $$ took a few more pics and headed back to the car to drive to Hasselt, Belgium.

The drive despite being mostly B roads was straightforwards and well marked out to Hasselt where I get to the city and promptly get lost, but I know my hotel is near a giant fair which I could plainly see so I snake my way towards the rides I see where I park and call the hotel (I have a tri-band cell phone, which came in handy) and they give me some better directions which I follow to a Gorgeous Holiday Inn in downtown Hasselt (there will be time for that carnival tomorrow) where I am shown to the exectuive king suite and I get my bathrobes and whatnot, I open up the complimentry mini bar and empty it, then turn on the TV to see the building of Kingda Ka on TV in English (Dutch subtitles), seeing loads of Irony in that I settled in and eventually feel asleep.

How can I afford all this you ask? Well when I make travel plans I tend to check prices on a daily basis for a month or so and one day I notice that the holiday inn price on Orbitz doesnt look quite right, so I go to the Holiday Inn website and see the same prices, €9 for a room and €12 for a Executive Suite (both are 60 day advance prices and both are missing 0's), so when I check in you all should have seen the look on the clerks face after seeing on his computer what I was paying for a €250 room at walkup rate, turns out they had switched their system over and I caught it with an incorrect price before the system caught it, score one for me! :)

However I will say they did honor my price with no complaint at all and I got no less service than anyone else in the hotel and got the full executive treatment which I really wasnt expecting and did appreciate, was a first class hotel with great staff, would be worth every penny of the normal advance rate of €120. Also being downtown parking was €10, but seeing what I paid for the room I could afford that.

Next: Bobbejaanland and Hasselt Septemberfoor
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Iggy ACE on November 6th, 2006, 8:48 pm
Great trip reports so far!

Couple questions for you...

1. How nervous were you traveling alone to a different country?

2. Is English spoken nearly eveywhere over there or did you have trouble communicating?

3. How long did this trip take you to plan?

Craig--- Great to see other TR's besides SFGAm ones.
Waiting to fill this space with something stupid to say!
Iggy ACE

Postby FParker185 on November 7th, 2006, 12:19 am
Yay! interest! :)

1) I wasnt all that nervous, mainly cause I was on the ACE European Coaster Oddsey and had been around a good part of Europe with that trip, was a good confidence builder. I'd definately reccomend either going with a group of friends the first time or better yet an organized tour.

2) I'd say 50-75% of people can understand enough english where you can communicate with them at least in some basic form. Probably 30% of the people in the country speak english enough to hold a conversation, and just about every hotel clerk, gas station attendant, and a good percentage of park employees speak english well enough to asnwer questions/give you directions (most parks will put little flags on the employee nametag indicating what languages they speak. Also if you go into a fast food establishment the (McD's/BK) while they may not speak english most of the time the menu is in english, i.e. Big Bacon n' eggs, Whopper, Big Mac, etc.

3) I had actually planned this trip in some form for 3 years, though I ended up with my final schedule in about a week, and reserving hotels took a few days to get my initial hotels (I still checked hotels almost daily for about 6 months looking for better rates, and changing reservations as needed, but I am a cheap ass). I'd say from when I decided on the schedule I went with til I had booked everything (at least initially) was about 3-4 weeks, though I probably could have done it faster. Though picking my itteniary took probalby another 2-3 months, though that was cause the time of year I went most parks were not open 7 days a week, so that made planning my trip utter hell, and added probably 500 miles onto my trip zig zagging betweek parks that had odd schedules, i.e. closed tuesdays-fridays, closed weekedays, open weekends and wednesdays, their schedules are wierd.

Any more ?'s feel free to ask.
FParker185

Postby Iggy ACE on November 7th, 2006, 1:18 am
Yay! interest!

1) I wasnt all that nervous, mainly cause I was on the ACE European Coaster Oddsey and had been around a good part of Europe with that trip, was a good confidence builder. I'd definately reccomend either going with a group of friends the first time or better yet an organized tour.

Of course there is interest!

I know the feeling about having confidence. I was on the ECC/ACE trip to Japan. When I go back I'll be better knowing the system a little bit.

Craig
Waiting to fill this space with something stupid to say!
Iggy ACE

Postby FParker185 on December 28th, 2013, 8:01 pm
on another forum I'm a part of, subject of funhouses came up, and I found a POV of the Boobytrap Hotel that I saw but unfortunately didn't do at the fair in Veghel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9Gsbcrva0

Also another update, the Mondial Shake Clone was not made by Fabbri, but rather Nottingham Rides out of the UK.

Also if anyone thinks Boobytrap Hotel is nice, here's another portable funhouse in Germany, shows kinda how far they've come in the past 8 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaTJ9m3lPRI
FParker185

Return to Trip Reports