Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 4-22-18 (No Pictures)

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby RollingCoasting on April 22nd, 2018, 10:24 pm
I went to the park today for opening weekend. Weather was decent, mid-fifties and sunshine. For some reason crowds were pretty light, every wait was < 10 minutes with the exceptions of American Eagle (Only Red Side) and X-Flight (1 train ops)

Got there at around 1:00 and decided to start of the day with a ride on Raging Bull. A few minutes into the line it went down for a puke delay. This was probably the first time I've ever witnessed them clean it up in under a half hour :lol: Once they cleared things up I got in the station to find that the back row had an empty seat on the next train. Unfortunately after we sat down, the attendant came over to tell us that flash passers would be sitting in our row and we would have to catch the next ride. Not too big a deal I guess. Can't really complain when the line was only 10 minutes.

After that I got a 1 cycle wait for Giant Drop. Awesome ride as usual, the anticipation at the top never gets old.

Next I scored a three train wait for Demon. It's still running pretty smooth this year, and they were playing the Demon Music in the cave outside the station.

Went on The Lobster after that. It's still running the intense cycle from last year thankfully, so much more fun than its days as East River Crawler. My only gripe was that they had 5 employees at the ride, but only one was checking restraints. Perhaps this was some sort of training?

After this me and family went to Strutter's for lunch. Well, they waited for food while I kept riding, heh. I managed a ride on Viper and Chubasco before joining them, only to find out they were still waiting. It ended up taking literally an hour and a half before we got our food. That's opening weekend for 'ya. :wink:

We wanted to ride The Lobster again after this, so we got in the queue. It looked as if we were going to be on the next cycle, but some kid in a wheelchair came up the AAD entrance and their group ended up taking up about 4 cars, leaving us to just miss the cycle. Oh well. When it was our turn, just as they finished checking restraints, they announced that the ride was going down for mechanical problems and we would have to exit. Wasn't too happy but again, it's hard to be upset when crowds are so light.

Following that ordeal, I hit up American Eagle. It was only running red side, making for a bit longer of a line than usual. It was still pretty manageable though, and I was able to score a back row ride. Apparently blue side is getting some retracking done in the helix, that should be nice.

Next up was the Yankee Harbor trio, Batman, V2, and Joker. While entering the line for Batman, I actually witnessed a woman being handcuffed and dragged down the exit ramp by security.... :shock: Wonder what the heck happened. Also, got a double flip into the brake run on Joker. Probably the most insane ride I've had on it so far.

Did Superman next. Ever since the removal of the SRL, I haven't been getting as many rides on it due to its notoriously long wait times, but it was only about 10 minutes today go figure. It actually looked to be only a single train wait when I got off, but I wanted to cover some more ground.

As there was only a half hour of park operations left, I figured I could hit up X-Flight (Which I knew would be a longer wait due to the reduced capacity), and then Goliath to close out the night. I really underestimated how long it would take to get on X-Flight. I finally got up to the station around 6:50 and realized that no matter which row I went in, there was no way I would be off in time for another ride, so I just decided to go for front row and end it there.

Even though I didn't get to ride Goliath, it ended up being a pretty good day. Like I said, surprisingly light crowds + nice weather = good trip.

In total, I got 1 ride each on:

Raging Bull
Giant Drop
Demon
The Lobster
Viper
Chubasco
American Eagle
Batman: The Ride
V2
The Joker
Superman: Ultimate Flight
X-Flight

Thanks for reading

-RC
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 23rd, 2018, 3:28 pm
We went on The Lobster earlier in the day. We just missed the cycle before us so we were waiting right behind the gate. When the cycle of people before us got off and exited, a ride op lightly pushed the gate open to let us in. The gate wasn't locked! Any little kid could've pushed through and severely injured or even killed by the ride. I can't believe they didnt lock the gate.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 23rd, 2018, 3:52 pm
I'm not sure if it's on Lobster or not, but I know a few flats got magnetic gates this year, so that might be why.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby astucks18 on April 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm
^^ every flat besides Ricochet and the camp cartoon/hometown kiddies got new magnetic locking gates

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 23rd, 2018, 7:29 pm
Oh good to hear!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 24th, 2018, 12:21 am
astucks18 wrote:^^ every flat besides Ricochet and the camp cartoon/hometown kiddies got new magnetic locking gates

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I am 100% sure (as of May 5th) Whirligig, Sky Trek Tower, and Condor along with Ricochet do not have magnetic gates. Rue Le Dodge is also still a large turnstyle thing (into the arcade). Fiddler's Fling ALWAYS had one.

What rides did you ride in which you know (100% for sure) they have them? The only one I know 100% sure is Triple Play. To be fair, I haven't ridden a bunch of the other ones.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on May 7th, 2018, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby onyxhotel08 on April 30th, 2018, 11:10 am
When/why did they remove single rider line from Superman???
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby RollingCoasting on April 30th, 2018, 4:19 pm
Sometime around early July 2017. Not exactly sure why, but I'd guess they didn't want to pay for a grouper
RollingCoasting

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 1st, 2018, 9:25 am
That is such a shame. I remember using it last summer thinking it was such a time saver. Every ride should have a single rider line.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 1st, 2018, 5:04 pm
The Hangover is going to have one :lol:
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 2nd, 2018, 3:13 pm
Joker has one but why bother LOL :)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Return to Trip Reports