Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

DTCM's Holiday World Adventure

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 25th, 2017, 9:01 pm
Hey guys,

t-minus less than one week until I return to Holiday World. I am posting now to let y'all know to add me on snapchat if y'all would like. I will not only show off the park but I will also show off Lake Rudolph as I will be staying there. Also though, I am bringing a GP friend along so ill post his opinions on the rides and slides and features of the park. I think it will be interesting, he has never been outside of Orlando or SFGAm. He is very smart so he understands some roller coaster enthusiast stuff but he lacks experience. So add me if you'd like to see the park, campground, and/or the opinions of a gp! I do streaks too if you would like to, and there is no inappropriate content except the occasional swear. Username: dc-22

Ill post a report sometime after I return. Leaving Friday, a mix of park time and using the campground ameneties Saturday and Sunday, and drive home Monday.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 11th, 2017, 9:58 pm
Alright heres my report from Holiday World! Im going to give short overviews of each day and then give reviews on each ride I rode. Note I had already visited holiday world in 2015 so when I compare now vs then, "then" was June 2015. In addition, since I brought my GP friend, ill give his thoughts on each ride as well if applicable.

9/1/17

Had school that Friday and as soon as I got out I went to Petsmart to get my aquatic turtle (Speedy) some minnows for the weekend. Went home and waited for my friend to come over. We left around 5 and picked up some sandwiches at Which Wich. Drove to Santa Claus from there and got there around 10:45pm, just in time before the 11:00 check in time at Lake Rudolph. It was dark (obviously) and raining. If y'all have been there, our site was in the loop by the lake and The Raven. We weren't on the water though. Our site was not very level, which was hard to fix because it was cold and rainy so we half-assed it and parked for the night. We had rented a golf cart and it was at our site upon arrival. Went to bed.

9/2/17

Woke up around 8:30 and decided to drive the golf cart around while my friend slept till 9. Me and my dad drove around and it was extremely chilly but sunny/cloudy. We drove to the center of the campground and picked top my friend and I's 2 day passes. Got back to our site and had some jimmy deans. Me and my friend then walked to the shuttle at 9:20, with park opening at 9:30. The shuttle picked us up at 9:25 and we were the only ones inside and the shuttle driver said we were lucky and that she would take us to the park. So we got to the gate a minute or two before they opened. We were probably within the first 30 in the park (and only 30 people were there at that time). Most people went to Halloween section rope but I decided to go to the 4th of July rope. Rope drop is 10:00 and by 9:35 I was too hot in my sweatshirt lol. Rope dropped and we hit thanksgiving rides with no lines, and then backtracked to halloween and waited in 20 minute lines for their coasters. We then went back to the campground and played 3 rounds of mini golf. Then we drove around in our golf cart awhile and then went to the park two hours later. Went on some flats and erode everything but raven. Went back to the campground to change into our swimsuits but we got distracted by College Football and didn't hit up the park for the rest of the day. Got snacks and shakes at Blitzen Kitchen (inside the campground) and had hotdogs at the campground. Played another round of mini golf under the lights and called it a night. We could have had a lot more rides at the park, probably 30, but my friend was pretty beat up from the woodies.

Voyage
Thunderbird right
Thunderbird left
Voyage
Gobbler Getaway
Legend
Raven
Liberty Launch
Revolution
Legend
Legend
Thunderbird left
Voyage

9/3/17

Slept in and got in the park around 11. Much busier day for the park. Went to thanksgiving and did a few rides and then met up with my family. We did the Thanksgiving dinner thing and then waited 30 mins for gobbler getaway in which broke down when we were going to be on within the next 2 mins. Delay was 15 and showed no sign of being fixed so we left. Attempted to get the kiddie credit but there was no way I was going to fit in it. So embarrassing lmao the only teens in that section of the park and can't even fit on the ride. Went to the camper to change into swimsuits and returned and did the water coasters and lazy river. Went back to the campground for the night, more rounds of golf, college football and blitzen kitchen pizzas.

Thunderbird right
Crows Nest
Voyage
Turkey Whirl
Voyage
Legend
Mammoth
Wildebeest

REVIEWS:

Voyage - Ugh. I don't want to sound like a hater but... Heres my problem. A lot of the time I let the "general consensus" get to my coaster rankings. When I rode this in 2015, I immediately put it outside my top 10 overall. Over time watching videos and reading reviews, I put it in my top 10 some time after that. I let others opinions get to me. When I rode it this year, I was reminded why in my personal rankings that it deserves to be outside my top 10. I want to love it with all my heart but the seats SUCK. It takes away from the ride. I like this ride a lot don't get me wrong but the seats are so tight and if you aren't stapled in the station you will be by the time the ride ends.Its not butter smooth either. Basically after the MCBR I found it uncomfortable track wise. Haven't updated my rankings yet but when I do it will be outside my top 10 unfortunately. My rankings are my rankings, not the average coaster enthusiasts rankings, so ill put it where I see fit. Amazing ride by all means but uncomfortable. It will probably sit around 12 overall, it should be in top 5 wooden. My friend gave it 10/10 and was blown away by how long it was, but said it was very rough.

Raven - Sometimes its hard for me to understand how this was once the best wooden coaster in the world. For a ride that isn't taller than my school or faster than 50 mph, its pretty fantastic. Speaking as a whole, its my least favorite big coaster in the park. Not much against it, its the smoothest wooden in the park in my opinion, but I find it kinda short. Again, seats suck. Friend liked it because of how smooth it was.

Liberty Launch - I didn't ride this in 2015 because I didn't want to spend my time riding something that short. We had plenty of time to ride whatever we wanted, so we did this. I learned that the power shot drop rides don't need to be tall to be fun. It was awesome! Loads of airtime, loved it!

Gobbler Getaway - ... always an interesting one lol. I scored 960, which was a dramatic increase from 2015. Wouldn't mind waiting 10 minutes for it on a regular basis. Friend scored 140.

Thunderbird - Still the best wing coaster in the business. Not much to say here, I feel all enthusiasts agree with this one.

Legend - WOW. with the retrack and my added experience of being a coaster enthusiast, I will tell you this will shoot up my rankings. Again, seats suck, but its pretty darn smooth. Yes, the laterals are a bit much, bu its insane! I gained a lot of respect for this ride. The double helix full of laterals is a death trap but I had nothing but a big smile on my face every time I rode it. Friend wasnt a huge fan of this one.

Mammoth - this ride blew me away. I didn't ride in 2015, and I had SO MUCH fun on this one. I was put in a fun group and I thought it was fantastic. I can't really tell you why - it just was!

wildebeest - kind of a letdown. I rode in 2015 and it was my fav water coaster - but also my only one. Rode mammoth first and when we got to wildebeest I just couldn't get my mind past mammoth. Both great rides but I think mammoth feels like a much longer ride and you're not always facing forward. Think that is what it comes down to.

Theres my review of my weekend! Fun times!
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Return to Trip Reports