Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mt. Olympus (8/9/2017) PTR

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby RollingCoasting on August 10th, 2017, 4:56 pm
I originally was considering taking a trip up to the Wisconsin State Fair, but when I found out tickets for Mt. Olympus were only $3 (Limited time promotion) I couldn't resist, despite the reputation of the park.

I actually don't think it's as bad as people say. Here's my "Pros and Cons list" from the park:

Pros:

- Neat coaster collection for such a small park
- Wavepool has 9 ft. tall waves
- Every coaster (Except Little Titans which I didn't ride) has atleast one moment of extreme ejector air

Cons:

- Horrendously slow operations
- One train on every coaster
- Bathrooms look like they haven't been cleaned once all season
- Plenty of line jumping
- Employees don't seem interested in their jobs

I didn't have very high expectations for the park itself anyway so I wasn't surprised with the long list of cons, but it's shorter than I had imagined it'd be so that's good.

Anyways, on to the actual trip...

We arrived at the park around a little bit past opening and immediately got in line for Zeus as it was nearest to the park entrance. The line was only to the bottom of the stairs, but the actual wait was more than 20 minutes since the ride only has 1 train. I thought it was alright. The airtime was honestly pretty strong but the ride was quite short and actually a bit rough (But tolerable) on the return trip. 5/10

Next was Hades 360, the ride I was most looking forward to on this trip. Wait was about an hour but it was so worth it. I had my expectations high and the coaster delivered. We sat in the back row and were treated to some pre-lift hill ejector air, nice way to start to the ride. The first drop was great, plunging under the parking lot is really cool. I have to say the train shakes like crazy in the tunnel but I think it actually adds to the out-of-control feeling. For some reason I wasn't expecting it to be pitch-black in there so that was another plus. The corkscrew is pretty smooth compared to the rest of the ride and actually a bit snappy in the back row. The double-down puts Viper at SFGAm's to shame and the finale is filled with airtime. New favorite roller coaster! If you like don't mind a little roughness and enjoy coasters with ejector air then you'll love this ride! 9/10

After this we left the park for lunch. I'm actually not sure if food is overpriced here or not but we decided to not even bother and drove down the street to McDonalds instead. Probably the fanciest one I've been to. (See picture below)

We made a line for Cyclops after getting back into the park. I had heard about this ride having the strongest airtime of any of the coasters at Mt. Olympus so I of course had to sit in the back seat. It did had awesome air but it's a really short ride. A bit rough but nothing too bad. 6.5/10

The park had a "Feed the animals" type petting-zoo attraction so we checked it out. I happened to find a few scraps of food left in the box so I fed some goats, and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to feed the ducks. :lol: Nice peck to the palm

I wanted to check out the waterpark so that was next on the itinerary. It took us atleast 10 minutes to find the changing rooms (No signage whatsoever) so that kinda sucked. We did Poseidon's Rage (Wavepool), The Great Pool of Delphi (Family pool), a vertical slide (Name isn't on the map for some reason), and Triton's Challenge (Mat Racer Slide). The only noteworthy one was Poseidon's Rage, being pushed back 10 ft. by the wave is really fun. The vertical slide actually scrapped my bottom throughout the whole ride so it wasn't very enjoyable and my mat wouldn't go down without a fight on Triton's Challenge so I came in dead last. The private outdoor waterpark for resort guests looks like it had a better collection of slides.

After 2 hours in the waterpark we headed back for some more rides in the theme park. Pegasus was what we did first. It's my least favorite coaster at Mount Olympus as it had a pretty forgettable layout but like I mentioned at the beginning of the report it did have atleast one moment of ejector air (Two largest drops) so it was atleast fun. 4/10

Next we rode Manticore, the park's star flyer. Not as good as the one at SFSTL but still gave some nice views. I'd love if my homepark got one of these.

Go-Karts are usually found as up-charge attractions at parks but Mount Olympus's are free (Except for 1 I believe) so I had to check them out. We chose the Trojan Horse one as it had the shortest line and looked to have the longest cycle. I'd never driven go-karts prior to this so I had a good time, but I was unfortunately stuck behind the two slowest drivers on the course, who were practically blocking both sides of the lane making it impossible for me to pass them.

There was only an hour of operation left at this point so I made it my goal to get as many more rides on Hades as possible. Unfortunately the line was the same length as before with the same ol' slow operations so I only managed two more, but still. First one was in the back row because surprisingly nobody was waiting there and second was in the very front.

While the park isn't anything special, I don't think it's nearly as bad as it's made out to be. I'd visit again for the awesome coaster collection, especially for $3.

Ride Totals:

Zeus x1 back
Hades 360 x3 (x2 back x1 front)
Cyclops x1 back
Pegasus x1 back
Manticore x1
Trojan Horse x1

Pics:

I accidentally missed the official "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign so thanks Culvers! :lol:

One of the many Mount Olympus motels on the street

I see you Hades!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Truth

Would you believe this is actually a McDonalds?

Gravity Group goodness

Cool how close together all of the coasters are

Manticore doing it's thing

Go-karts from the top of Manticore

The only park theming was in Hade's queue :D

The pre-lift and finale sit in a nice wooded area

Yes, it does

Bye Mt. Olympus!

I missed the Illinois sign as well, ugh. Unfortunately there was no consolation sign this time :lol:
RollingCoasting

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 10th, 2017, 8:32 pm
Ah yes, the log cabin McDonald's. There are more of those than you would think in Wisconsin, especially up North. Glad you had an overall enjoyable day. I can see how Hades could be a number one for you, but just imagine how amazing it could be if it was as smooth as Viper. The wave pool is amazing and it is so much better than the one at Typhoon Lagoon at Disney. Looks like I have to get back as my last trip was 2015.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 11th, 2017, 11:38 am
RC, Thanks for the trip report. So you really have to keep your hands down on Hades?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on August 11th, 2017, 12:27 pm
I guess the park recommends it but hands up is the way to go!
RollingCoasting

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 11th, 2017, 3:10 pm
The only thing telling you to keep your hands down is that sign. The employees don't care if you lose your hand/arms.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Return to Trip Reports