Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

fright fest opening day

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby jaws3391 on September 29th, 2013, 10:41 pm
I went to fright fest great America on Saturday 9/28/28 and was very disappointed, I won free tickets online on sf facebook page and was so excited, normally I go to kings island and valley fair in mn and I was so sadden I was last at fright fest in 98 I used to have season passes from 94-98 and went all the time during ga's hay day and I never missed fright fest I went every Saturday and stayed overnight and went on sunday, there was no boo line no monsters, very little decorations it just turned out to be a crowded Saturday, I will say haunted houses were good though for the 20 dollar wirstbands, I only saw susan hypnotist she was good but having it in the pictorium not good very hard to see, they need a new stage since bugs bunny stage is gone, I missed elvria's 3d ride, no blood river water ride, which was plenty warm enough to run, you don't need water cannons blasting people, no mayor slayer walking around throughout the day scare zones should have opened way earlier, but since there was almost no monsters how could they, quit using the economy for bad events or poor execution of fright fest and now saying goodbye to ragin Cajun, why? I travel a lot and every park I go to that type of ride is one of the most popular, note to management go back 17 years and figure out what went right then and boo line absolutely no excuse to not have that themed and monster filled, I did not get to go on the demon, but I saw no red waterfall, that's a shame and I suspect they do not play the demon song needs major improvement for me to return not just a new coaster and if your going to get a new coaster try the tidal wave
:(

Admin note: This post is near impossible to follow due to poor sentence structure. If you want to post in the future please learn how write sentences and paragraphs. Also the Tidal Wave would not be a new coaster, it was removed over 20 years ago and replaced with a way more popular ride.
jaws3391

Postby Jackluver18 on September 30th, 2013, 9:57 am
Blood River can't be run because they have a haunted walkthrough in there called Wicked Woods and most of the time before FF starts they drain the water rides. Mayor Slayer has been gone for a couple years now since the company he's with went someplace else. Six Flags has been doing Fright Fest in house since 2011 so he won't be coming back. With Demon's waterfall, it has been off for several years now so that won't ever be coming back either. My friends and I went Saturday and it wasn't crowded at all......the longest we waited was an hour for Bull. From mine and my friends point of view...it wasn't all that crowded.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby jaws3391 on September 30th, 2013, 5:57 pm
I've been going to great America since 1979 when I was 6 years old, I never missed fright fest all the way from 1994-1999, and they chose not to run blood river, they could have it would have been better than haunted woods, and they could still run demon waterfall, and if not mayor slayer come up with someone new to represent fright fest, and no boo line no excuse, I hope great America figures it out, people who go to kings island or valley fair will love it, so much better themed more haunted houses and scare zones and all included in ticket, I love great America and always will, but changes have not been for the better, from what I understand other six flags parks, st Louis, magic mountain, are true to Halloween fright fest, great America, better get better, for fright fest, people who come for it don't care about the rides that's what Wednesday's in the summer are for
jaws3391

Postby Sporlo on September 30th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Sporlo

Postby Road Rash on September 30th, 2013, 7:05 pm
^Nice. :mrgreen:
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
Road Rash

Postby DeathbyDinn on October 2nd, 2013, 10:23 pm
jaws3391 wrote:and they could still run demon waterfall

The Demon waterfall was damaging the track and the rock structure. There's a reason that neither park run the water anymore.

jaws3391 wrote: and if not mayor slayer come up with someone new to represent fright fest

They've been using the pumpkin head as the new icon. He's not as much of a character but he leads the parades and is being referred to as the grand marshal of the event.

jaws3391 wrote: from what I understand other six flags parks, st Louis, magic mountain, are true to Halloween fright fest,

No idea what you even mean by this, all the other Fright Fests are run the same way as ours. If anything we're the park the other ones look to as they've copied the things we do.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Ilovthevu' on October 3rd, 2013, 2:19 pm
I agree with some things you have to say, but to change the park's minds about certain things is not easily going to happen. They do what they want because they can.

For the Boo Line, to me that was the best thing at Fright Fest for so many years. You had the regular characters for a number of years (meaning Headless Horseman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Chainsaw person, etc), and than later you had the Scooby-Doo characters. What really happened is that some head up guy thought that why should we run the train with all these different decorations / actors if we aren't making any more money on it? So, the focus has gone to charging people money to go into MORE haunted houses. I remember there was a time when they only had 2 haunted houses - the Southwest Territory one & the one in Necropolis. Also, when they had the Boo Line, they were running 2 trains, and that's more costly than running 1 train. They don't want to do that because it's all about saving money and making money elsewhere. I'm sure they moved some of the train decorations into the haunted houses because even if the train isn't haunted this year, why couldn't they just put up a lot of the previous decorations along the way?

The other thing I felt was so great during Fright Fest was the decorations for the Antique Cars. They got rid of the cars, obviously.

With the Demon, yes the rock work probably is having trouble with all that water from previous years, but Six Flags could redo the thing. They just don't want to spend any extra money when they feel they don't have to. In essence, they are being cheap.

I do agree with you that Mayor Slayer was a better character for Fright Fest. I think the Pumpkinhead person is just kind of dumb. The animatronic in front of the Carousel is awesome, but why the walking character too? They could easily just have another Mayor, and have another name for him other than Mayor Slayer.

The one thing I don't agree with is that you say that people that come to Fright Fest don't care about the rides. Are you kidding me? If you are paying regular admission for one day, you aren't going to go on rides? You think atmosphere alone is worth $40?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Return to Trip Reports