Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

7/17/13 Great America = hot, sunny and little crowds

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby onyxhotel08 on July 17th, 2013, 8:56 pm
I mean no line above 30 minutes. Superman opened a little late so I got on Condor after Carousel. Then we hit up Roaring Rapids (Nephew was terrified). I checked out Whirligig, Batman, Little Dipper, Eagle Red (blue closed early not sure about later), X-Flight, Whizzer, repiv was awesome backwards, Triple Play, Camp Cartoon and Sky trek Tower. My nephew loved Whizzer so much we did it twice! I skipped V2, Superman and Bull because I'm not obsessed with going on every ride anymore. Wanted to go on Yankee Clipper but my nephew was still scared of Rapids to consider another water ride. Park looks great but what happened to the "I like to move it move it!"? Oh yeah my nephew loves Buccaneer Battle so much he went twice! Not a bad day we left at like 6:30. We had lunch at Subway and can someone tell me why there are no crossing lines across Grand Ave to the other side? They aren't ANYWHERE in that area! An area which is full of pedestrians because of the park.

Head hurts these days on batman, X Flight and eagle. Only ride noticed closed was Orbit and one Camp Cartoon ride.

Love love love repiv!
Last edited by onyxhotel08 on July 17th, 2013, 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onyxhotel08

Postby onyxhotel08 on July 17th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Not sure but Logger's Run looked open.
onyxhotel08

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 18th, 2013, 1:12 am
Speaking of head hurting, I really don't understand the love some people have about X-Flight. Everytime I'm on that ride, it feels very, very jerky. It feels like I'm getting bounced around, and than I still don't like those harnesses that dig into me. The ride is not smooth at all. It feels totally un-B&M.

I think part of the reason it's easier to get headaches on rides is because people just don't drink enough. Everyone that goes to Great America (except wheel chaired people) are walking so much even if you are walking slow, and everyone just loses liquid / water throughout their body throughout the day. I really think that people should drink more when they are at an amusement park / carnival than every other day of life. Personally, I don't really think it's right how little water cups the park gives people. If people want water, they have to drink like 10 of those things to get hydrated which is ridiculous. Unless people drink pop the whole day through refills, that's how people get de-hydrated, and than they easily get sick on rides.

Technically, one kid / teenager getting sick because of de-hydration (even on a 70 /80 degree day instead of something like 90) and little water cups could easily cause families to leave early because one person is not feeling good which equals less food sales ,and merchandise. That family / group might think about how the person got sick at the park, and not want to come back because of that. So, really those little water cups could lead to them losing a lot of money, but all they care about the cost of the tiny cup, and not about taking care of their customers. And yes, there are water fountains in multiple places, but what would people rather have? Semi not that cold water from the fountains, or cold water with ice? And usually when you are blacking out / browning out on rides, that means you are do not have enough liquid in you, or maybe food, but I believe it's more about the liquid. I did used to blackout on Batman the Ride before, but I don't do that anymore because I do drink a lot.

So, basically just drink a lot of liquid (before or during) you go to an amusement park, and you won't feel as bad.

And maybe, some people heard this word of advice before, but I just want people to know (newbies maybe) because I want people to have more fun at Great America / carnivals than just getting sick, and going home feeling terrible.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby tribar on July 18th, 2013, 1:31 am
^Some places give you bigger cups than others. Don't know if it depends on the stall or the weather. Hershey actually gives you a cup that you would normally put soda in when you ask for free water.
tribar

Postby Sporlo on July 18th, 2013, 7:29 am
X-flight is a little bumpy in certain places (right before the barrel roll), but it's all very low frequency vibrations. They're very easy to deal with.
And I think the reason this new ride vibrates so much is because of the cantilever train design. Can't really design around that fact. The outer seats will have higher amplitude vibrations, and as soon as one car is unbalanced in the slightest, the amplitude will increase.

I'm sure an empty train runs quite smoother.
Sporlo

Postby tribar on July 18th, 2013, 9:07 am
The Final helix is really bumpy too
tribar

Postby Stoogie on July 18th, 2013, 12:26 pm
I always get ice water in my sport bottle. Saves me a mint lol. I have to drink water because the pop just makes me sick. Not the pop itself but the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Candy: What you lookin' at?
Otis B. Driftwood: I'm lookin' at you, mama.
Candy: Yeah, you see something you like?
Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Postby Stoogie on July 18th, 2013, 12:30 pm
What I don't like about X-Flight is the sound when it goes thru the tower and the feeling of the train riding on the up-stop wheels. Gives me the creeps.

Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on July 18th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Stoogie wrote:What I don't like about X-Flight is the sound when it goes thru the tower and the feeling of the train riding on the up-stop wheels. Gives me the creeps.

that sound is the anti-rollback device "dogs" so the sound your hearing is not bad and shouldn't scare you
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby Stoogie on July 18th, 2013, 8:34 pm
It might be moving and hitting the undercarriage of the train. That's what it sounds like. Like metal hitting metal. My favorite ride besides Bull though.

Stoogie

Postby Goku1910 on August 7th, 2013, 2:59 pm
Again, the lift dogs are going into the up position then back down. This sound is normal.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Return to Trip Reports