Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 7/6/13 Coaster Enthusiast Day Backstage Tour

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby DejaVu2001 on July 7th, 2013, 10:12 am
On Saturday, SFGAm held its first annual Coaster Enthusiasts Day. The event featured 90 minutes of morning ERT with namtaB from 9:00-9:30, repiV from 9:30-10:00, and X Flight from 10:00-10:30. The event also included lunch in the Picnic Grove, with a Q&A with Hank Salemi during luch, and finally, a backstage tour.

Here is video of the Q&A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZEArvDuh8
The first two questions aren't here because I wasn't planning on filming. The first question was about maintaining Whizzer and if it is in any danger. Hank responded that contrary to popular belief, Whizzer is actually very easy to maintain, and that there are no plans or discussions of removing Whizzer.

The second question dealt with the Rocky Mountain transformations and American Eagle. Hank said that the park has looked into doing a Rocky Mountain American Eagle, but at this time, there are no plans to do so.

Backstage Tour

The tour started by Superman: Ultimate Flight and followed the service road around the East side of the park back to the warehouse and Ride Mechanics shop.

Extra Batmobile and Glow float by Superman's lift

The Dark Knight Coaster's storage track and hoist

Glow In The Park float

Splashwater Falls guide rails

Rapids tubes and rafts

Rapids reservoir

More Rapids rafts and Fright Fest stuff

In case the Interstate 666 sign didn't give it away, this is where most of the smaller Fright Fest items are stored

Splashwater Falls boat

ShockWave stairs

Sky Whirl

Raceway

Raceway

These shipping containers hold items for Necropolis, Front Gate, and Mausoleum

Old food stands

This is "ShockWave Central". Most of the handrails seen here are from ShockWave's queue/exit bridge. The building in the background is ShockWave's station with walls added

BBNP water tower

Looney Tooter fountain

Parts of the Hometown Park kiddie rides that used to be by First Aid

Old Hometown Square benches and Spacely's Ride Photo booth

Centerpiece of one of the kiddie rides, possibly Beez?

Railroad stuff

Railroad stuff

Engine shop

Engine shop

Mall Entrance

Foods Warehouse

Ride Mechanics shop

A Whizzer chassis. Whether the #1 refers to the train or the car, I don't know. Right now, trains 3, 4, and 5 are on the ride.

Whizzer chassis with a chainsaw

Whizzer armrests

Maintenance board, Whizzer armrests, and a Raging Bull lapbar

TDK Car #3

Eagle Red car 12

Eagle Red car 11

Ragin' Cajun cars 7, 8, and 9

Ragin' Cajun frame and chassis for car #8, the yellow car.

Shop Overview 1

Shop Overview 2. Definitely a pretty big shop, but at the same time, you can see how crowded it is in here, even in the Summer when not as many cars are being worked on

This carousel used to be mounted on the back wall of the employee cafeteria when I worked at the park

Paint Shop

Fort Fun

County Fair Games Gallery sign

Krazy Kups centerpiece
DejaVu2001

Postby Stoogie on July 7th, 2013, 10:59 am
Very cool! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Candy: What you lookin' at?
Otis B. Driftwood: I'm lookin' at you, mama.
Candy: Yeah, you see something you like?
Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Postby Ace on July 7th, 2013, 11:15 am
Very nice pictures thanks for sharing. Brings me back to the days when I worked there. Hopefully those who accuse the maintenance staff at great america of being lazy every off season, take a look at these and see the immense amount of work that is still ongoing.
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Postby Goku1910 on July 7th, 2013, 1:13 pm
^Too bad so much labor is being wasted on Cajun....hahaha. :lol:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 7th, 2013, 1:35 pm
^ Actually, Cajun's inability to run more than 5 cars is a huge help for maintenance. When the park closes in October, Cajun already has 3 cars finished out of 6 that are at the ride.
DejaVu2001

Postby Coaster Justin on July 7th, 2013, 1:59 pm
I Wonder what they're going to do with all those historic things. Maybe a Museum?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 7th, 2013, 11:33 pm
Ace wrote:Very nice pictures thanks for sharing. Brings me back to the days when I worked there. Hopefully those who accuse the maintenance staff at great america of being lazy every off season, take a look at these and see the immense amount of work that is still ongoing.

The thing I wish I really knew is whether or not the park has the same amount of mechanics that let's say they had 3 or 4 years ago. I don't personally call mechanics lazy, but I just wonder if the park has cut mechanics hours or has less mechanics which has made them have less trains on rides earlier in the season.

Just as a curiosity, why are the mechanics working on an additional red train? Doesn't the Eagle have 2 sides with 2 trains already? I know the Eagle originally ran 3 trains on each side, but what's the point, really of working on an additional train if they aren't going to run 3 on each side?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 7th, 2013, 11:47 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
Ace wrote:Very nice pictures thanks for sharing. Brings me back to the days when I worked there. Hopefully those who accuse the maintenance staff at great america of being lazy every off season, take a look at these and see the immense amount of work that is still ongoing.

The thing I wish I really knew is whether or not the park has the same amount of mechanics that let's say they had 3 or 4 years ago. I don't personally call mechanics lazy, but I just wonder if the park has cut mechanics hours or has less mechanics which has made them have less trains on rides earlier in the season.

Just as a curiosity, why are the mechanics working on an additional red train? Doesn't the Eagle have 2 sides with 2 trains already? I know the Eagle originally ran 3 trains on each side, but what's the point, really of working on an additional train if they aren't going to run 3 on each side?

Trains "take turns" each season. Last year for red side was trains 1 and 2...This year is 2 and 3. Next year will be 1 and 3. They all get the same seasonal rehab, it's just one train gets a full tear-down. It's kinda like how Raging Bulls train order changes each year.

At least I think last year was 1 & 2...... :?
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby rb1 on July 8th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Nice pics. Wow all that junk in the back they should recycle all of them and turn them into new roller coaster.
rb1

Postby Jackluver18 on July 19th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Thanks for sharing these photos.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Viper 88 on September 29th, 2013, 9:42 am
Damn I would have loved seeing all of that and going where the general public can't go.
Viper 88

Return to Trip Reports