Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Spring Cedar Point Trip

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby CstrFan512 on January 6th, 2013, 8:23 pm
Hey guys! First, it seems like there is always a Cedar Point help topic on this site, so I'm sorry. I just wanted to get feedback for my specific situation. I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Coaster Capital with a couple buddies (seven in total). People tell me that it's hard to do the park in one day, so the tuesday and wednesday after memorial day look to work the best. So the main questions are whether to stay on site, where to eat without breaking the bank, to fast lane or not to fast lane, and if we should stay two full days or a day and a half. Thanks a lot.
Don't fight the Bull, ride the Bull!

Best 2011 Moment: "I lost my phone on Raging Bull!"
"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2012 Moment: "No good! DREAM ON!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby Goku1910 on January 16th, 2013, 3:09 pm
*Fast Lane is relatively cheap compared to Flash Pass.

*"Coaster Capital" is a strong word. CP doesn't offer as much as it seems to. Out of all the coasters they have, Five or Six of them are actually worth riding. Here's the best Coasters:
1) Maverick
2) Top Thrill Dragster
3) Millennium Force (This ride is WAY OVERRATED; it's FORCELESS, but fast. That's IT.
4) Raptor
5) Wicked Twister
Mantis is ok, but a little bit of a headbanger.

*Sure that Top 5 will change if I ever ride GateKeeper because now the park will have two "good" B&M's. The other Coasters I didn't list are either painful, or just plain not fun. Mean Streak bruised my legs and blue streak gave me massive stomach aches. As for Flat rides, Skyhawk and Power Tower upward Launch are insane fun, but The Operators won't allow you to pick your seat.

*Be prepared for A-hole ride operators....If you're lucky, they'll just ignore you. The Flat ride operation here is atrocious, it takes two people to run a scrambler ride and after they unloaded it, they left us waiting while they talked gossip.

*Nothing you can really do about the food without spending a fortune, the prices there are about the same as they are here at SFGAm, but there's much more variety.

*Let's leave it at this, you'll still have a good time, especially if you take my advice and ignore some of the coasters I mentioned.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby BLADE on January 23rd, 2013, 9:25 pm
I was at Cedar Point over Memorial day weekend/week in 2008, 2010, and 2011. Either Sun/Mon or Mon/Tues. I didn't notice a significant difference between any of the days. I've never been there on the Sat of Memorial weekend.
These were all before the fast lane program.
I look at it, if I expended the money to get out there from Wisconsin, I want 2 full days. It rains all the time there that time of year, so you will probably lose a few hours due to that.
Cedar Point's best is the big 4 (Mav, Millie, TTD, and Raptor), plus a great collection of flats (Maxair, Skyhawk, Power Tower, and Windseeker).
But in 2010 and 2011, we got chased out early the first night due to storms. Lightning hit something in 2011 and knocked all 3 of the Intamins out, and they weren't back up until the afternoon.
Top thrill has to be warmed up everyday and breaks down frequently. So it loses a few hours most days. Neither Millie or Mav is that reliable either, but Millie is better.
Lines were typically between 20-40 minutes for the big 4 coasters and 10-20 minutes for the big flats when I have been there.

There is a Subway inside the park. Otherwise food is pretty standard, but portions are small. Check their website though. They tell you what every place sells. It's on the park map too.

Lodging leaves a lot to be desired. There are a number of Hotels in Milan to the south, and a few in Huron to the east. I would check tripadvisor.
We have been able to find 2 day tickets everytime for about $72.
There is a bug problem, so I don't sit in the front on Millie or TTD. I believe TTD is the only ride you cannot wear glasses on.

I have had the time of my life everytime I have been there. It's the nicest RIDE park I have been to, kind of like a big carnival, and there is plenty to do. But it's not in Busch Gardens league as a well rounded theme park. It's more like a bigger and better Six Flags, with much better capacity.
Last edited by BLADE on January 24th, 2013, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLADE

Postby CstrFan512 on January 23rd, 2013, 10:09 pm
Thanks to all of you for the help! I want to ride all the coasters at least once and then hit the best (top 4) after that. From what I've heard, I think we'll stay and go to the park for two days. Thanks again!!!
CstrFan512

Postby BLADE on January 24th, 2013, 1:32 am
Looking at your profile, it seems like you have been there before. If you want to know anything else, you can pm me.

I would guess Gatekeeper will be a top 5 there.
BLADE

Postby CstrFan512 on January 24th, 2013, 9:04 pm
^ Yes i have, just not with this big a group and thanks for all the help.

"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby CstrFan512 on January 28th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Quick question. Does anybody know if they will have starlight tickets (get in at 4 PM) again this year? i checked the website, but all they have is regular tickets and season passes.

"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
CstrFan512

Postby Ilovthevu' on March 24th, 2013, 9:18 pm
About food options:

There are a bunch of food places near the mall area that is close by to Cedar Point. There are probably more than what I'm saying but I know of Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Pizza Hut, Mcdonald's, Burger King, a buffet place that is owned by Old Country Buffet people, Burger King, Sonic, Steak N Shake, it's either Rally's or Checkers, and Long John Silvers / Taco Bell. There is this restaurant right by Steak N Shake that seems like Baker's Square, but I don't know the name of it. I always think that, that restaurant originated there because of the name of the county or town, but Sandusky is NOT in the name.

Famous Daves is NOT near the mall, but it's right next to Cedar Point - within walking distance I think. Right after you get off of Cedar Point property, there is a Mcdonald's and a Dairy Queen. There might be a buffet place there too, but I'm not sure. If you do go Mcdonald's, I would choose this Mcdonald's over the one near the mall Mcdonald's because the mall Mcdonald's was overpriced compared to the other one. Probably a franchise compared to corporate.
About the rides, I don't think that people first realize that Cedar Point sure has coasters, but they have a lot of different flat rides. I think if you have any interest in flats whatsoever, than check out their website. The one flat that I think that everyone has to try at Cedar Point is called Cedar Down Racing Derby. You might think it's a carousel, but really it's 4 horses side by side, and they motion forward and backward. It's almost like you are racing your friends to see who wins the race. the ground is also moving like a carousel would. This ride might not be the most thrilling ride, or a person's favorite flat ride, but it so much fun. http://www.cedarpoint.com/rides/Thrill- ... y#panel1-2

I also would suggest the Matterhorn ride which is a Flying Bobs / Alpine Bobs / Thunderbolt / Music Fest ride. Great America used to have a ride like this (Hay Bailer), but it was hidden away, and didn't get a lot of attendance for that reason. Deja Vu came, and they took it away also. Besides nostalgia for me, these rides are fun. Cycle is a little short, but it's a good time in my opinion. Also, some carnivals are getting rid of them because they are a 2 truck ride (A lot of US carnival rides are 1 truck nowadays except at big state fairs or county fairs), and take awhile to setup.

-Mean Streak
-Millenium Force (It feels to me like Raging Bull, but it's taller, and has less hills - up and downs)
-Magnum - You will want to experience it, but it's painful in my opinion.
-Maverick - This ride just seems to yank a person all over a place. Reminds me of a SLC, but you are sitting.
-Mine Train - I like mine train coasters, but this ride to me was just boring.
-Iron Dragon - This is another ride to me that was just boring. I like these types of rides. Ninja at Magic Mountain is awesome & so is Flight Deck at Kings Island.

Great Cedar Point coasters to me are:

-Blue Streak
-Gemini (Very Underrated)
-Mantis
-Raptor
-Wicked Twister - though I like V2 better because V2 has 2 different things - This has 2 twisty spikes instead of 1 twisty & 1 straight track.
-Top Thrill Dragster

Okay
-Corkscrew
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby BLADE on March 25th, 2013, 9:43 am
I don't know how you ride Maverick, but a guy I went to Cedar point with in 2010 took one ride on it, and hated it. He told his older brother how much he hated it, when we were there in 2011. I told them Maverick is not a hands up ride. Hang on tight with your hands by your head. When they did that, they both loved it. Riding in the front row is the smoothest place because you can see the turns coming up. It's like riding a crotchrocket up there. For me it's like riding an improved version of the Hulk at Universal, and is in my top 5 steel.

Millenium Force has one significant advantage over Raging Bull. No freaking trim brakes!!!!!
BLADE

Postby Goku1910 on May 2nd, 2013, 1:44 pm
BLADE wrote:Millenium Force has one significant advantage over Raging Bull. No freaking trim brakes!!!!!

And even then, it still sucks. Raging Bull still has more airtime with the trims.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Return to Trip Reports