Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Seriously?

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Chitown on October 2nd, 2012, 5:19 am
Comeon people. Alot of you were all excited about Fright Fest. I want to see some trip reports with pictures. Make it happen since I don't live in Illinois anymore.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby GayCoasterGuy on October 2nd, 2012, 1:10 pm
Uhh.... The Whizzer is a great ride :) Still my favorite most of the time.

The Demon is still worth the headache, Eagle's brakes are still back on (been a year now), Viper is still smooth and full of air time and X-flight is still nice to look at :mrgreen:

...and Fiddler's Fling (Valhalla Fyre) still feels like the fastest ride ever built.
facebook.com/GayCoasterGuy
GayCoasterGuy

Postby Ilovthevu' on October 3rd, 2012, 1:29 am
The way I see it, and probably the reason why people aren't posting is that the park is in a routine way of doing things. You have Terror Twister, you have the program for the Birds ride, and you have a lot of the same decorations year after year. The cemetery plots are still in the Orleans Place, the clowns in Mardi Gras, pirates in Yankee Harbor, and the radioactive barrels in Hometown Square. Fiddler's Fling is the "free" new attraction, but I have a feeling the only reason they are doing more to it is because there is no East River Crawler (Might even be the same stuff they use for the Crawler). It just stuff feels the same year after year for me.

Now, I guess for the haunted PAY attractions I would think there would be more postings about that type of stuff because this is the first year that Roaring Rapids is a haunted attraction & you have the train haunted part that is an upcharge also. I haven't been on either of those because I don't do the upcharge haunted attractions. I'm very, very disappointed that the train became half an upcharge attraction, but than some people that paid for it said it stunk anyway. The reason why I say HALF of an upcharge is because from Hometown Square to County Fair, you must pay for it, but from County Fair to Hometown Square, the train is free, and everyone is forced on both stops to get off. For the Deadline train, the exit goes through I guess a maze of some sorts that is in part of the Iron Wolf area. However, from County Fair -> Hometown Square, they only had 2 skeletons working. That's the only haunted / props. For the train, the hours are pretty bad. It's from 5pm - 8 pm on Sundays & 5 pm - 10 pm on Saturdays. No one can go on the train the other times. It's just closed until 5 pm. For a year that they have see as many haunted houses / attractions as you want for a fee (That being $20), they really are skimpy on the hours you can see this stuff.

For the Fright Club, I really just see it as a way for the park to use their liquor license for the colder time. I really don't know how many people they will get in there considering they are separating families with the no 17 and younger.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Stoogie on October 4th, 2012, 11:40 am
sounds like Fright fest is a flop this year as far as characters, decorations and haunts go huh. MOT was the the only good haunt? Sad.
Candy: What you lookin' at?
Otis B. Driftwood: I'm lookin' at you, mama.
Candy: Yeah, you see something you like?
Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Postby DeathbyDinn on October 6th, 2012, 2:53 am
Ilovthevu' wrote: For the train, the hours are pretty bad. It's from 5pm - 8 pm on Sundays & 5 pm - 10 pm on Saturdays. No one can go on the train the other times. It's just closed until 5 pm. For a year that they have see as many haunted houses / attractions as you want for a fee (That being $20), they really are skimpy on the hours you can see this stuff.

The train opens late because it needs to be dark out for the haunt to be any good. I'd imagine that also helps with makeup as they can focus on the street actors until four, and then use that hour for deadline actors. It closes early because it can't run when Full Moon Rocksplosion is using the stage. Besides, with the number of people that can ride at once, its enough time.

Stoogie wrote:sounds like Fright fest is a flop this year as far as characters, decorations and haunts go huh. MOT was the the only good haunt? Sad.

I don't think it was a flop at all! For characters, there were less of them, but they were doing so much better than last years. I got scared/startled more times last saturday than in four trips in 2010 and 2011 combined. This cast actually has the energy to chase people down and get really good scares.

Decorations also are better in my opinion, despite what everyone else seems to be thinking. There were a number of new props, and they didn't just cover everything in cobwebs and twine which looks cheap in my opinion. Carousel Plaza, Bayou de Voodoo, Burn 'Em and Buried Circus, and Sector 7 all looked better than last year. The rest looked about the same.

As for the haunts, MOT was my favorite, but thats not to say the others were bad. I enjoyed the rest, but MOT has the advantage of being so old, that it has to focus on scares and cheap gags (which work) while the others can focus on set design and special effects. It depends a lot on where you are in the group too. For the best experience, stay close to the front and stay with the group.

I have about 200 pictures from this year already on Facebook. You should all be able to see them, let me know if you can't.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 195&type=3

I might get to posting some here, but Facebook would be the best place to see the most from me.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Stoogie on October 6th, 2012, 7:59 am
I guess it's just people opinions about how it is. I personally don't get into the twine stuff either. It just looks strange. We're going in a week or so, I can see for myself. To me MOT is always the better house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Candy: What you lookin' at?
Otis B. Driftwood: I'm lookin' at you, mama.
Candy: Yeah, you see something you like?
Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Postby Corkscrew07 on October 22nd, 2012, 10:33 pm
Love to see the pics, DeathbyDinn, but it's restricted!
Corkscrew07

Postby DeathbyDinn on October 23rd, 2012, 4:29 pm
Hmm, I made the album public. Try this one: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 726a08bd49

I am working on a full PTR with reviews and stuff right now, so if that doesn't work you can see them that way. Should be up in a day or two.
DeathbyDinn

Return to Trip Reports