Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

TR: 8/8/12

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby chester016 on August 9th, 2012, 10:54 am
Well, here's my day in a nutshell.

Decided to buy the flashpass the night before due to the weather looking promising for a busy day and the fact that the second round of read to succeed tickets not expiring until Sunday. Weather turned out to be cloudy with some drizzle on and off and didnt seem to keep the crowds away. This made for a moderate crowd day with hour waits on most popular rides. We went with the gold flashpass and boy are we glad we did.

It was my first time at Great America this season. Arrived about 5 minutes before 10, wish we would have gotten there a little earlier but what are ya gonna do? Already had our tickets printed off so we went right to the gate. While walking to the gate some six flags lady asked for our tickets right near the front of the gate. I assumed she wanted to check them or something so we gave them to her. This turned into a 5-10 minute survey which really pissed me off. How about asking if we would like to take a survey instead of just asking for our tickets? This cut into us wanting to get to X-flight quick. We entered the park and went straight for X-flight and found that they had NOT even begun testing the ride yet and the line was starting at the beginning of the queue and was winding all the way into the path between demon and x-flight , back into southwest territory. We decided to get out Flash pass first which was about a good 20 minute wait. We got our pass and went back to x-flight which was now into the queue, and running. we waited. about 35 minutes to get on the ride, which turned out to be our only ride for the day. and heres why:

I was not overly impressed with the ride. The first drop was a lot of fun, but after the second inversion the ride loses a lot of speed and is pretty much forceless. It was smooth as glass, and my fiancee really enjoyed that, however i personally do not see the hype over these new wing coasters if this is supposed to be the best one. I will be interested to see the ride stats of Cedar Points new wing coaster, as this could make for a much better ride experience. After waiting once on the left side 2nd row and not being overly impressed, I decided it was not worth the hour plus wait that it now had and spent my time elsewhere the rest of the day. Opted to ride everything else the rest of the day. heres my coaster count:

X-flight:1
AE:1
Demon:1
Superman:1
Whizzer:1
Viper:2
Batman:2
King Chaos:1
Revolution:1
and finally Raging Bull at a personal record for me: 17 rides
chester016

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 9th, 2012, 11:18 am
chester016 wrote:It was my first time at Great America this season. Arrived about 5 minutes before 10, wish we would have gotten there a little earlier but what are ya gonna do? Already had our tickets printed off so we went right to the gate. While walking to the gate some six flags lady asked for our tickets right near the front of the gate. I assumed she wanted to check them or something so we gave them to her. This turned into a 5-10 minute survey which really pissed me off. How about asking if we would like to take a survey instead of just asking for our tickets? This cut into us wanting to get to X-flight quick.

Two things, one, I've taken that survey several times this season and it never takes more than 5 minutes, usually 2-3 minutes.

Second, you already guaranteed yourself a long wait for X Flight by getting to the park at 9:55. If you want to beat the rush to X Flight, you get there at 9:00 and get first in line at the metal detectors, because when the gates open at 9:30, you go straight to X Flight. There is no more chain drop.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm
I agree that X-Flight isn't that intense except for the feels like 10 seconds being upside down part, but I don't think it's smooth. The ride feels bumpy, and it's probably because of the un-needed wing design.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby chester016 on August 9th, 2012, 2:31 pm
^10 minutes may have been exaggerating a bit, but it felt that long due to the circumstances. And yes I agree, we should have gotten to the park earlier, unfortunately we drive in from central wisconsin and got stuck in traffic in Milwaukee which set us back. sometimes we get there early, sometimes we dont. Just a luck of the draw.
chester016

Postby w00dland on August 11th, 2012, 12:13 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote: Second, you already guaranteed yourself a long wait for X Flight by getting to the park at 9:55. If you want to beat the rush to X Flight, you get there at 9:00 and get first in line at the metal detectors, because when the gates open at 9:30, you go straight to X Flight. There is no more chain drop.

But...if you get to the gates @ 9AM aren't you essentially waiting 1hr for X-Flight????

*glass shatters*
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 11th, 2012, 12:40 pm
It's a matter of perspective. Waiting an hour from 9:00 to 10:00 has no impact on how quickly I get to the other rides :lol:
DejaVu2001

Return to Trip Reports