Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

TR: 8/6/12

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Coastermonkey61 on August 8th, 2012, 8:25 pm
Went for the first time this year back on Monday, crowds were relatively dense, enough to pick up a Flash Pass. Jumped on X-Flight first, left side, waited about a half hour. Really loved it, especially the dive into the first drop. After grabbing the Flash Pass, my friends and I hit up Giant Drop (lengthy wait for a Flash Pass) and Raging Bull (very quick).

Viper was next, and my God, what a nightmare. The park still hasn't done anything in terms of telling Flash Passers where to go. The station was a crowded mess with no semblance of order. The ride operators were incompetent and took forever. And to cap it off, the ride itself was running really ragged. Everyone says American Eagle needs a retracking, I'd almost put Viper above it. Worst ride I've ever had on Viper.

After lunch we did Roarin' Rapids and Logger's Run, pretty standard. Couldn't help but notice how much Logger's Run could use some retooling. Would be unfortunate to see either Logger's Run or Yankee Clipper leave, though. Still big crowdpleasers.

Batman was next, one of the better rides I've had on it. Then V2. Wound up stuck on it for about ten minutes when someone decided to jump into a restricted area to grab something while my ride was in progress. On the final trip up the spiral, we slowed down as we were approaching the spike, didn't go up nearly high enough, then stopped on the magnet run. So, that was fun.

Superman after that, and this thing loses points with me everytime I go. Select seats always seem inoperable, and I've never seen a roller coaster with so many VIP tours, Platinum Flash Passes or exit passes. My friends and I were next in line for the back row three times before finally getting on. I will say the back row gives a pretty powerful ride in the first half. But it's easily the most overrated ride in the park.

Whizzer after that, still ridiculously entertaining. A few friends did Demon after this, but I had a bit of a headache from Viper, as did one of my other friends, so we checked out Buccaneer Battle. I can see the appeal, but only one side of the boat has any access to doing anything. The right side is the only one that faces the midway, and the guns aren't strong enough to get to the other boats if you're on the left side. A decent idea, but poor design.

After dinner, some of us hit up X-Flight again while the others went to Bull and Whizzer another time. Did right side on X-Flight this time, and wow, insanely fun. The first twist at the top of the lift is a lot more intense falling into it than spinning onto it. And threading the tower is insanely more effective from this side. Headchopper works perfectly not just on the tower, but on the ride support right after it. Truly awesome. X-Flight may have jumped up to the top spot for me, frankly. Absolutely loved it.

We ended the night on American Eagle, which will eventually need Flash Pass soon. Both trains were running the entire day, but Red had stopped as the park got close to closing. So the wait for Blue was actually somewhat lengthy since the park was about the close. But it may have been the most fun ride of the day. Never been on Eagle at night, and it's easy to forget how much of a punch this thing packs. Great way to end the day.

Great weather, decent crowd, fun trip.
Coastermonkey61

Postby CoasterNick3157 on August 11th, 2012, 9:56 am
Superman keeps going down in my favorite ride in the park, yeah first inversion is good but after that lame.
CoasterNick3157

Return to Trip Reports