Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Great America Sunday June 17, 2012

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby CoasterDemon on June 18th, 2012, 6:25 am
Got to the park around 6pm; perfect time as the sun isn't as bad and people are starting to leave.

Rode Whizzer and a couple flats.

My friend wanted to try out Raging Bull again, so we waiting about 15 minutes in line. Then we got into row 2 and sat for a minute. Lap bars popped up - you know what that means :shock:

I was surprised to see a train stopped on the block brake. I would have loved to have been on that train! Someone must have hit an E-Stop.

The ride ops told us to step out and get back into the queue, behind the air gates. At this point, we couldn't leave as my flip flops and drink bottle were stowed on the opposite side of the platform.

After about 15 mins of waiting, we got back on. Not a bad ride, I usually don't go to Bull for 2 reasons. One, I'm simply not a big B&M fan, and 2 - the walk to get to and from it is ridiculous.

We got off the ride (or I should say we got to the end of the 1/4 mile long queue exit) a little past 7:30. Ooops - too bad for me. Can't use my "meal pass" now. (I know I know, totally my fault. I could have got out of line for Raging Bull during the brake down and walked to go eat with no shoes ..... huh?)

I was shocked to see Demon closed. The 2nd time I've seen that in 32 years.

All closed tonight (Sunday June 17, 2012):
Demon
Eagle Blue
Fiddler's Fling
Yankee Clipper
Logger's Run
Raging Rapids (or whatever they call it now)

After the Raging Bull brake down we decided to head over to Dairy Queen, needed a brake and some food. Came back just before 9 and did the 2 mouse coasters and Batman. Again, not a big B&M guy, but had 2 of the best rides I've ever had on it. Lot's of kids screaming and shouting going up the lift, sun dropping - it was an atmosphere thing.

Finished out the night on Eagle. That was after we stopped back by the water rides and Fiddler's Fling. Nope.. all still closed.

Eagle was pretty good - unfortunately the trim brakes coming OUT of the large helix ("barrel") were on again, robbing the insane ride back home. (They were on for most years as I remember, but back OFF the last 5 or so years until last October.)

A manager told us that Eagle is scheduled to run BOTH SIDES everyday for the whole summer (as long as whatever was wrong today, isn't wrong). A ride op said they didn't run both sides due to lack of crowd and had no clue about the "running both sides for the rest of the summer" deal. Whatever... it's not a racing coaster (see website) if you are running just one... forget it :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, I love the park. Best park in the chain? Probably. Best overall collection of a variety of rides? By a long shot. Best run in the chain? Probably (and that's not saying too much to be fair.) But there is *so much* room for improvement.

I forgot about to mention the 8-10 minute wait I did to get a $1.06 refill (which is very strangely $1.07 in some parts of the park? What's up with that?) to be told they have no more ice :mrgreen: And that was *after* we found a drink stand that was still open. (Yes I know there is a freestyle machine in the candy shop by Whizzer - but we were on the other side of the park).

Ah yes! The wonderful freestyle coke machines, stashed conveniently in the corner of the candy shop. So after wait to pay for your refill at the one open register (out of 3 available registers) for a few minutes, you can slip and stick your way past a bunch of kids trying to steel some free pop, .... yadda yadda...

Also.. this girl named Samantha was furiously trying to take care of folks at the photo counter after the Dark Knight coaster. They have 3 monitors but only one is open and only one poor overworked employee back there. Kudos to Samantha, she was hustling the whole time. With all the people yelling at her and throwing their *season pass flash drives* her way, I have no clue how she did it. Good job Samantha! Shame on your supervisors (or management, or their supervisors, or whoever) for leaving you in such a rotten situation. I felt so bad for her. Had it been me, I would have jumped over the counter, given my name tag and ID to the nearest *sup* and got the hell outta there. Ridiculous.

We did have time to stop by Guest Relations to share some of our experience :oops: and gave Samantha a glowing review. We also had a very friendly chat with one of the park Directors.
Last edited by CoasterDemon on June 18th, 2012, 7:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
CoasterDemon

Postby DejaVu2001 on June 18th, 2012, 6:33 am
^ Eagle Blue side is down for track work. A little late now. But if you knew where to look, you could see it at the bottom of the first drop. The bad thing is though because of where the track work is, they can not work on it while Red side is operating, which means their choices are only working on it while the park is closed in the morning (which will make it take longer) or closing the whole ride down.

Demon had something happen before the park opened. They ran a few tests in the morning, but by 10:00, they had stopped and parked all the trains. They were working on it all day, and kept the ride ops until 5:00 before they decided it wouldn't open.

As for the other closures, Fling was closed in the morning too, but was open mid-day. I'm surprised they closed the water rides early with this weather (especially Logger's and Rapids).
DejaVu2001

Return to Trip Reports