Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFStL (6-1,6-2)

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Ace on June 5th, 2012, 5:49 pm
I don't normally write these so hopefully you enjoy it.

I decided to finally utilize my season pass at another sf park this year and went down to SFStL on June 1st. We arrived and checked in our hotel around 4pm so we decided to get a feel for the park right away. Upon arrival we found out that the park closed at 7 that evening so we only had a few hours. First thing we rode was American Thunder. I must say this thing was a very nice surprise. It held speed through the entire course and didn't let up. Next up for us was Mr. Freeze reverse blast, however upon getting to the entrance we found out that it was down and they were not anticipating opening it again that day. Because we were in the neighborhood we decided to check out the scooby doo ride. I must say I was not impressed by it at all. After that disappointment we decided to ride pandemonium. This was another nice surprise, and I enjoyed it greatly. After pandemonium we decided to check out the boss. This was the biggest surprise of the whole trip and it was a bad one. I do not understand how that ride is popular. While the first half of the ride is filled with air the back half of the ride was downright painful. I am a bigger guy so the lateral forces had the lap bar digging into the side of my legs so that may be a contributing factor. After that we rode river king mine train twice which was excellent. At that point it was 10 to 7 so we decided to take a quick look at the shops and go.

Day two was a gorgeous day and even better we saw Mr. freeze cycling in the morning, and that became our first target. Like great america they do a soft opening to a line held by security however the park didnt open until 10:30. We lined up to the mr freeze side and thought that everybody else had the same idea in mind. Luckily, at 10:30 everybody (the fools) took off for the boss leaving 7 of us to casually stroll to mr freeze reverse blast. This ride was nothing short of amazing. We were able to ride it twice right away to start the day. From there I went right to xcalibur. It was just OK and didn't impress me much at all. From there we went to sky screamer and had a great ride. Even though I have heard criticism of it that its height is gimmicky, it certainly is re-ride-able and enjoyable multiple times. After that we went on Screamin eagle which reminded me a lot of zues from Mt Olympus except smoother. Net was Ninja which I liked better than Demon, and PS that has one hell of a head chopper. namtaB was next and seemed pretty vanilla compared to the one at great america. Not to stir the pot too much, but I by far prefer the yellow color of ours. From there on out the rest of the day we rode the railroad twice, mr freeze once more, american thunder once more, pandemonium once more, the grand ole carousel once, colossus once, log flume, sky screamer once more and mine train twice more. We decided to pass on their versions of fun machine, giant drop and orbit for obvious reasons. We also passed on their rapids ride because the line was easily the largest in the park. Finally we passed on tidal wave (their splash water falls) because the water was so nasty you couldn't see the bottom of the pond.

Overall my impression of the park was quite good. It was very clean, and most of the employees were very friendly and helpful. That being said there was a certain degree of unprofessional-ism with some of the employees that should be addressed. Mr. freeze and american thunder both cracked my top 5.

One other thing worth noting is that this trip was filled with rides that I wouldn't mind being in Iron wolfs spot. These include Mr freeze, American Thunder, Sky Screamer and Colossus. I honestly think all of those rides could thrive in Wolf's spot. feel free to agree disagree or dispute those.
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Postby tribar on June 5th, 2012, 10:31 pm
^Haven't we had a enough problems with shuttle coasters :wink:

Nice TR though. Sounds like you had fun!!!
tribar

Postby CstrFan512 on June 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Great TR! I've always wanted to visit that park. Hopefully this summer. I forget its as close to us as Cedar Point is. What type of coaster do you think would be a good addition to that park?
Don't fight the Bull, ride the Bull!

Best 2011 Moment: "I lost my phone on Raging Bull!"
"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2012 Moment: "No good! DREAM ON!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby tribar on June 6th, 2012, 6:20 pm
^I've never been but i think that park should have some sort of Hyper
tribar

Postby FParker185 on June 6th, 2012, 7:03 pm
SFStL needs a Hyper like nobodys business. It's really the only thing they're missing.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Ace on June 6th, 2012, 7:34 pm
A hyper would be fantastic for them, however a floorless or a standup would not be bad choices either.
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Postby DejaVu2001 on June 6th, 2012, 7:52 pm
^ Stand-up is probably out now. But I really think they should have ended up at SFSTL. If there is one thing SFGAdv did NOT need, it was another coaster.
DejaVu2001

Postby tribar on June 6th, 2012, 10:00 pm
I honestly think this is where Deja Vu from SFMM should have gone too. This and SFGAv are the only two parks to not have any type of Boomerang at any time. Much better location than at SFNE right across from their Boomerang
tribar

Return to Trip Reports