Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 5/31/12: Cold, Rainy, Empty!

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Cole on June 1st, 2012, 10:35 am
The title says it all. My buddy and I got to the park around 2:30 to some pretty hard rain. As we walked towards the park it seemed there was a tidal wave of people walking out of the park. Many of the buses were pulling out and there were less then a hundred cars. We walked around a bit and caught the 3:00 showing of Screams and Dreams II. Part two was pretty good, it was awesome seeing early footage of Batman and Iron Wolf. After that it was still raining pretty hard and the rides weren't running. We went over to X Flight and decided to wait it out in the station (Yes, it was less then a station wait all day). We were lucky because they closed off the queue a few minutes after 5 minutes. After waiting about 30 minutes in a wet station, they opened the ride and we got a front row ride on the right wing. We rode two more times and headed to Raging Bull. It was a station wait, so we rode twice then moved on. We saw V2 running (in the rain!) so we ran over there and got 3 rides in, including a back row- which was awesome as always. After that we went to Eagle blue- which had an empty station- because Red wasn't running. We rode 2nd back row and it was not good. Running Blue backwards was probably a mistake, it's become much rougher then the Red side. By this time it was around 6:30 so with the park closing at 7, we went back to X-Flight, which had an EMPTY queue. Literally empty. We WALKED ON front row and rode 7 times: including 3 front row re-rides and 2 back row re-rides. On the last few rides of the night there were literally 4 people on the ride. It was an awesome end to the day.
Here's my ride total:
X Flight- 11
Raging Bull- 2
Viper- 2
V2- 3
Eagle Blue: 1
Screams and Dreams II: 1

Just a few pics to highlight the emptiness:

Empty X Flight to end the day.

The parking lot mid-day

Thanks for reading!
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby tribar on June 2nd, 2012, 12:13 pm
Lucky :D Was that your first time on X Flight
tribar

Postby Cole on June 2nd, 2012, 7:23 pm
No this was my 3rd trip riding X-Flight. I have 15 rides now! :)
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby FParker185 on June 3rd, 2012, 5:14 pm
Glad I didn't go, I almost went Thursday expecting the park to close early due to the weather and I could pick up a free ticket for a friend. I'd have been pissed :D
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 4th, 2012, 4:32 pm
So, what's the point of a canvas (X-Flight) that doesn't keep out the rain?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm
When it rains hard and there is wind, it will not help but all rides have ways for the rain to get in the station. I just think they should have closed the walls up a bit more.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby FParker185 on June 4th, 2012, 8:16 pm
I'm going to guess it's like that because rain is uncomfortable, heat is outright dangerous and potentially deadly. I'd much rather have a wide open station with great air flow when it's 90-100 degrees out over being able to stay dry in rain.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 9th, 2012, 1:58 pm
This is just a random thing from my last trip. This occurs a lot though - even last year, but why does that mechanic always have to play some random garbage remix music on Batman the Ride towards the end of the night? It's obviously not the Batman music.

I'm know I'm back to music again, but for the waterpark they made the music so low for Hurricane Bay, that I could barely hear it. Towards the beginning, I could hear it, and than it just went so low. I couldn't even hear the announcement it is time to get out of the WavePool.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Return to Trip Reports