Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Opening Weekend 2012

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby DejaVu2001 on May 6th, 2012, 7:44 am
Like last year, it was too crowded to ride much. I got on Whizzer's first train of the year. Other than that, most of the day was just wandering around.

X-Flight started testing at 3:00 and continued until closing. While watching X-Flight testing, I got to talk to Hank. Talked about a lot of stuff obviously X-Flight, also talked about rehabs, Railroad, and Deja Vu/Goliath. Hank said that Superman should have the second train next weekend and Eagle's second red train in 2 weeks. I also asked about X-Flight's queue. There will be a small queueing area under the station. Speaking of that, like I said when they first did it, the station is supposed to look like a canvas hangar. Railroad will open Memorial Day weekend, the tracks will basically follow the original configuration, which means the train will cut under the back corner of X-Flight's train storage shed.

Ride Count:
Whizzer: 2
Demon: 1
Rue Le Dodge: 1
Sky Trek Tower: 1
American Eagle Blue: 1

Photos:
Park got screwed by the weather. Flowers died.
New Whizzer sign
New Triple Play roof
Ear Cancer
B&M reach envelope frame
Storage tracks
X-Flight sign
Webcam
Buzzy Beez

More pictures coming soon. Heading back to the park now.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 6th, 2012, 9:52 am
^With your last picture, something I forgot to mention that Batman the Ride, they are wearing these tuxedo uniforms now. I would think that this would be the whole year. I noticed the Triple Play sign being painted, but I didn't notice the new roof. Good catch. If you didn't mention new sign Whizzer, I would never know the difference. I guess they made the letters colored different.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby RBullFan97 on May 6th, 2012, 10:05 am
I loled at the ear cancer thing. :lol: But really, yesterday wasn't a very productive day, plus the weather was terrible, but it's always nice to come for opening weekend. And yes, love the new Whizzer sign!
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby GrtAmkid on May 6th, 2012, 11:29 am
I think of yesterday as a day to get all the details worked out as far as passes and such, with a sprinkling of rides on the side. Now I can enjoy the rest of the year without worries.
GrtAmkid

Postby ViperFTW on May 6th, 2012, 3:40 pm
Was Batman painted on the off season? The supports look more dark blue then I remember.
ViperFTW

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 6th, 2012, 4:14 pm
^It was a darker / foggy day, so it looks darker.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby DejaVu2001 on May 7th, 2012, 7:36 am
More photos:
Iron Wolf support. No idea why it is still here.
Wolf queue
Wolf
Revolution got new harnesses and the tire motors are blue now.
Eagle Snacks is now Airbrush
Coca-Cola Freestyle
Buzzy Beez sign
Dining Pass
Remodeled Primo's
Batman had the tuxedo uniforms for this weekend only. I'm going to guess the crew was very happy it was cold out.
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on May 7th, 2012, 8:13 am
So yeah, it rained a little bit on Sunday
They finally added a shortcut in Dipper's queue
Totally Kickin' Chicken
Viper's locker exit is blocked off now
Painting the Raceway Garage
X-Flight storage tracks
Raceway
Last edited by DejaVu2001 on May 7th, 2012, 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on May 7th, 2012, 8:22 am
X-FLIGHT Testing
DejaVu2001

Postby Jackluver18 on May 7th, 2012, 11:25 pm
I saw in various photos from other albums as well that the Raceway cars are still there. What is being done/what is going to be done with them?
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby FParker185 on May 8th, 2012, 2:26 am
I would have to guess one of 3 things for the GAR cars....

1. They will reappear in the park at some point in the future.

2. They will be distributed around the chain in due time to parks needing cars and/or they will be put up for sale to parks outside of the Six Flags chain.

3. The park/the chain honestly doesn't know what to do with them, so they will sit there or somewhere inside SFGAm until so much time passes that all the cars are rendered completely unusable and they are scrapped for a minimal amount of money.

If I had to guess I'd go with either option 1 or 3.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 14th, 2012, 10:25 am
I would like to say 2 different things I seen than what I listed last time. One is that Demon in the station now has fluorescent long lights (instead of just bulbs) which I will think will stink during Fright Fest when they had red regular bulbs unless they use black lights. Also, the lights shining on the train of Demon / station have changed to I guess LED white (These are smaller bulbs).

Also, yes I said that Triple Play arm of yellow has orange lights, but if you look at the green arm, it has half of the lights being a darker green, and half of them being a lime green. I'm sorry I'm with lights on flats and it seems no one else cares, but quite honestly I think the flats look better at the night than the roller coasters at our park. There just is nothing special in lighting for roller coasters at our park except for Whizzer during Fright Fest, and I guess American Eagle. However, Cedar Point and Six Flags Over Texas make certain coasters look better at night - Millennium Force & Blue Streak / Flashback & Shockwave. Kings Island Eiffel Tower looks awesome. You think they would at least have some changing lights for Superman because it's at the front of the park.. Oh, well.

And I really think the Carousel white lights on the ride itself look so dull. I don't know what they could do about that besides replacing the light strips on it, but it just looks out of place.
Ilovthevu'

Return to Trip Reports