Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

TR: Carowinds 4/14/12

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Galvan on April 17th, 2012, 9:56 pm
This past weekend, I visited Kings Dominion in VA and Carowinds in NC/SC.

And while, I didn't have the time to take pictures. I will share with you my experiences at the parks and answer any questions you may have regarding these parks.

Afterburn:

I have really been looking forward to riding this ride for quite a while now, And this ride absolutely did not disappoint. Easily the best B&M invert that I have ridden. Fast, Smooth, forceful. Definitely a great ride.

PRO: Excellent Layout, fast, paces well, smooth.
CON: Slow crew, slow dispatches
Overall: A-

Carolina Cobra:

Typical Vekoma Boomerang, but this ride features Vekoma's 2nd generation OTSRs. This definitely improved what would have been rough ride.

PRO: 2nd Generation OTSRs
CON: It’s a Vekoma Boomerang
Overall: C-

Carolina Cyclone:

Second Arrow sit-down coaster that surprised me on this trip, that at first glance looks like a terrible ride. It was about as rough as Demon, nothing too terrible with this ride.

PRO: Pleasant surprise, nothing too rough
CON: Slow crew, the seats on this ride make you feel like you’re sitting on the track

Carolina Goldrusher

This is a decent mine train that actually had some comfortable restraints and a nice little pop of air in the return run.

PRO: Nice mine train ride
CON: Extremely slow crew
Overall: C

Hurler

Just like the same ride at Kings Dominion, this ride flat out sucks. Yes it was retracked, but who cares. Couple that with a ridiculously slow crew made this ride unbearable.

PRO: None
CON: Slow crew, retrack didn’t do anything to this ride
Overall: F

Intimidator

This was my 200th Coaster, and I am extremely happy it was. In a park that features so many subpar rides, this one though is without a doubt one of the best B&M Hypers I’ve ever ridden. The first ride I rode on Intimidator was completely trim-less which was a result of the park adding the 3rd train while I was queuing for it. I rode it front, and back the 7 or 8 times I rode it. This ride was really really good.

PRO: Airtime, speed, trim-less the first time I rode it.
CON: “Gentlemen Start your Engines!” every damn ride which for I-305 was okay, but on a fast moving crew on a 3 train B&M Hyper sucks.
Overall: A-

Nighthawk

As a rule of thumb, no matter how much I despise a ride type , I cannot stand Vekoma Flyers, they in my opinion are terrible. Nighthawk at least in my view is terrible.

PRO: None
CON: It’s a Vekoma Flyer, all you need to know
Overall: F

Thunder Road

After I was surprised at Rebel Yell, I really thought I might be surprised at Thunder Road as it basically (it is) the same ride. Add to the fact that you have a really cool feature of straddling two states while riding this ride gave me the hope at least this would be a somewhat decent ride. The North Carolina side of the ride was okay, nothing Earth shattering and definitely not as good a Rebel Yell, which like Rebel Yell was heavily retracked in sections. The South Carolina side, even with the retracking was terrible.

PRO: Crossing over 2 states while riding either side is a unique enounce to this ride.
CON: The retracking didn’t help the ride it all on the South Carolina side.
Overall: NC Side: C- SC Side: F

Vortex

This ride is a B&M Stand-Up that mimics the layouts of Georgia Scorcher and Iron Wolf, and I would have preferred to ride either (especially Georgia Scorcher) to this ride.

PRO: It’s Not a Togo Stand-Up
CON: Not intense at all, rough, head banging ride
Overall: D-

I skipped a few of the coasters here that were the kiddie rides, and Ricochet which I rode the day before at Kings Dominion. And that’s a problem with Carowinds, too many cloned rides from a park that is less than 6 hours to the north. The wooden coasters here at Carowinds are terrible, and thankfully this park has Intimidator and Afterburn because without them this park would be incredibly bad. This park totally lacks flats as well, there is a Windseeker at this park that opened this year as well as a 150 foot tall Intamin Drop ride. But, after that the park lacks a lot.

PRO: Afterburn and Intimidator, ½ of the park is in North Carolina while the other ½ is in South Carolina which makes for a nice touch to an otherwise dull park
CON: Terrible wooden coasters, lack of flats
Galvan

Postby w00dland on April 21st, 2012, 11:58 pm
While Intimidator wasn't at Carowinds when I visited, I remember Afterburn (or Top Gun as I remember it) being a kick ass B&M Invert, second only to Alpengeist. Glad you made it to Kings Dominion as well as I found that park had a way better coaster collection.

And while Hurler definitely sucks, for some reason I rode it a couple of times while I was out there. Just a glutton for punishment I guess.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Coaster Justin on April 22nd, 2012, 2:30 pm
So, I'm not crazy for thinking Vekoma 2nd Generation Trains would improve Demon?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Galvan on May 1st, 2012, 6:54 pm
You're still crazy...
Galvan

Return to Trip Reports