Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Sit Down For This

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Coaster Justin on July 10th, 2015, 7:31 am
Mt. Olympus had an accident

http://www.wkow.com/story/29514468/2015 ... nsin-dells

Watch the video, It's shocking but kind of funny

Wisconsin Dells (WKOW)-- Two Wisconsin Dells visitors are feeling lucky to be alive after a cable on an amusement ride snapped just inches away from them.

The incident happened Wednesday on "The Catapult" ride at Mt. Olympus in Wisconsin Dells. Owners shut down the ride after a cable came crashing down just seconds before two passengers were shot into the air.

"I couldn't believe that just happened. I had to collect myself," Dru Larson says after capturing the incident on video.

"What if it had been 30 inches closer to Trevor or what if they were shot up in the air? Things start going through your mind and most of them aren't good."

Larson and his son Trevor were visiting from Tracy Minnesota before heading to a basketball tournament in Milwaukee. Trevor was riding with family friend Carrie Sueker when the accident happened.

"There's a lot of what if, it could have hit us, could have hit our friends and family nearby," Sueker says.

The ride was back open Thursday after Mt. Olympus owners say they replaced the cables on the ride.

"When I found out about the situation I told them I don't want that ride operating again until all new cables are put on the ride," owner Nick Laskaris says.

According to Laskaris the ride is actually owned by an independent contractor that also owns and operates one other ride at Mt. Olympus. Laskaris says the ride is owned by Dick Clark's Ultimate Rush and has been in the Wisconsin Dells for nearly two decades.

"Been here in the Dells 20 years and from what I understand it's never happened before," Laskaris says.

The owner of the company wasn't available for comment, but Mt. Olympus managers say they're working with him to insure the safety of guests. They originally opened the ride to patrons on Thursday, but later decided to shutdown the ride again until they can conduct a thorough investigation.

The Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services tells 27 News an amusement company isn't required to report an incident unless someone is injured. However, officials say they will conduct an investigation if a patron submits a valid complaint.

A little more than a year ago Mt. Olympus removed a different ride from their park after a man fell more than 15-feet. 63-year-old Anthony Theisen fell off the "Opa" Roller Coaster in March of 2014 and suffered serious injuries. State safety officials ruled a lap bar failed and that the park did not follow all maintenance recommended by the ride's maker.

So Strike 2 for this park?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 10th, 2015, 8:56 am
It's really been a year already since Opa was removed? Wow. Time flies.

And I think the park has way more than 2 strikes.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Muck Finnesota on July 10th, 2015, 10:51 am
The owner of the ride would absorb a share of the blame, correct? Regardless, not the first horrifying incident on an upcharge ride, and not the last. It's certainly not an issue exclusive to the Dells or Mt. O...

At first glance, just a little to the right, and that kid is half the kid he used to be. I hesitate to call it luck/good fortune, though, because wouldn't this kind of failure (snapping cable) have to be taken into account during the design process? By this I mean that should the cable snap (as it did), it might look like it just missed the riders in the vehicle, but actually hit where it did by design (in order to miss the occupants, who were never in danger). This is speculation- I may well be giving whoever designed this ride more credit than they deserve.

I think I'd actually rather dance across an 8 lanes of traffic on a highway than ride any upcharge attraction that incorporates any combination of height and cables- even if it were free.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Tardis1972 on July 14th, 2015, 10:17 am
According to Screanscape, Mt Olympus has asked the owner of the ride, Casco Inc to remove it.
Tardis1972

Return to General Coaster Talk