Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Biggest Park Loss Mistake?

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Coaster Justin on April 7th, 2015, 8:52 am
Six Flags has sold many theme parks since 2004 (Let's ignore Autoworld, Power Plant, and Atlantis for this matter), But what park do you think was a mistake for the company to sell?

Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure
Bellewaerde
Six Flags Belgium
Six Flags Holland
Warner Bros. Movie World, Germany
Warner Bros. Movie World, Spain
Walibi Aquitaine
Walibi Rhone Alps
Walibi Lorraine
Wyandot Lake
Six Flags Astroworld
Six Flags Darien Lake
Six Flags Elitch Gardens
Frontier City
Six Flags New Orleans
Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
Wild Waves/ Enchanted Village
American Adventures

I think Astroworld was the biggest mistake personally.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 7th, 2015, 2:35 pm
SF Worlds of Adventure(Geauga Lake). For sure.

Such a shame for a park to go to waste.

Otherwise I'd say Astroworld and or Walibi Holland/Belgium.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby FParker185 on April 7th, 2015, 9:43 pm
I'd say Astroworld is the one and only mistake on the list, the park was god awful and always an absolutely miserable experience to go to, but the locals loved it and showed up en mass even without any real capex.

All the rest made perfect sense for SF to drop and they're better off for it.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on April 9th, 2015, 10:41 pm
^I agree it was one of the the three Six Flags parks in Texas. Did they really need three parks in Texas alone? Six Flags just sent a bunch of old and used rides there if I remember correctly.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Coaster Justin on April 10th, 2015, 11:40 am
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:^I agree it was one of the the three Six Flags parks in Texas. Did they really need three parks in Texas alone? Six Flags just sent a bunch of old and used rides there if I remember correctly.

Yes and No, Since 1990 (According to Theme Park Timelines and Excluding Pay Rides)

New
1992- Adventure Rivers Of Texas
1996- Dungeon Drop
1996- Looney Tunes Land (Lets count this as 1)
1999- Serial Thriller
1999- Big Kahuna
1999- Hooks Lagoon
2003- Swat
2003- Diablo Falls

Used
1990- Ultra Twister
1991- Condor (Unknown)
1993- Batman The Escape
1995- Mayan Mindbender
1998- Taz Texas Tornado

Coaster Justin

Postby FParker185 on April 10th, 2015, 6:10 pm
Houston is a massive population center, and even with all those used rides, people literally have no where else to go, so they showed up. I wanna say too that the park closed in part due to a parking dispute with the operator of the astrodome.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby super7 on May 1st, 2015, 11:23 am
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:^I agree it was one of the the three Six Flags parks in Texas. Did they really need three parks in Texas alone? Six Flags just sent a bunch of old and used rides there if I remember correctly.

The size of Texas is equal to multiple states. Houston is a huge population area. They were stupid for tearing that park down instead of improving it and making it a destination.
super7

Postby w00dland on May 1st, 2015, 1:34 pm
Six Flags made a boatload of cash off selling that land to help provide space for new stadium and commercial development. If they were smart, or had any real financial reserves at the time, they could've relocated the park further away from Houston and still made a fortune there, but they had 2bn of debt on their backs and could barely operate as it was...
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Coaster Justin on May 1st, 2015, 2:45 pm
w00dland wrote:Six Flags made a boatload of cash off selling that land to help provide space for new stadium and commercial development. If they were smart, or had any real financial reserves at the time, they could've relocated the park further away from Houston and still made a fortune there, but they had 2bn of debt on their backs and could barely operate as it was...

I don't know if 57 million dollars is a boatload of cash. And that commercial development land is still waiting to be developed apart from a rodeo show.

Coaster Justin

Postby Cove26flags on May 4th, 2015, 8:25 am
Six Flags Astroworld or Six Flags New Orleans.

Both parks had great potential. I would lean more towards Astroworld though.

Im sorry but $57 Million isn't crap when you think about it. Most full funtion theme parks are sold at $100 Million plus. So I think the parking situation with the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium was the main motivation for the park closure. The park performed decently and had good attendance. It was poor planning on the people that initially designed the park and thought it would be a good idea to combine the parking lot for a major theme park with a professional sporting facility.

The park had a decent line up of attractions and the lines werent to crazy either.

As of right now its a pile of dirt and grass. I'd like to think that if they want to bulldoze something as beautiful as Astroworld, you'd think they'd have a for sure plan of action and have at least something semi-interesting put in there for the people of Houston...but no almost 10 years later it just sits empty.

Anything else is a slap in the face to Roy Mark Hofheinz. Tell me about another Mayor building a theme park for its city?
Cove26flags

Return to General Coaster Talk