Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Rougarou to become Mantis make over

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 18th, 2014, 8:20 pm
"New" for 2015 at Cedar Point- Rougarou!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4iQaj3dyGI (Flyover)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x6cRTrx82gI (POV)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Zey3WWThErw (Announcement Video)

So they're repainting an renaming Mantis, and slapping some floorless trains on. I find it to be a good choice. The Mantis wasn't rough, it was all your blood going to your legs that made it bad. This will surely revamp the ride, and bring back ridership.

What do you think?

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterCale on September 18th, 2014, 9:07 pm
No more walk-on rides at Cedar Point. (for the most part :( ) Anyways, do we know where the "new" trains are coming from?
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby Chitown on September 18th, 2014, 11:00 pm
^I would guess they are being manufactured by B&M. Why would they go to anyone else?
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 19th, 2014, 4:48 pm
They are indeed the normal floorless trains.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterCale on September 19th, 2014, 10:20 pm
I guess I was rather vague in my wording. I was wondering if the trains are being reused from another coaster or if these are new from the factory. While on this topic, what are happening to Mantis's trains?

CoasterCale

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 19th, 2014, 10:31 pm
CoasterCale wrote:I guess I was rather vague in my wording. I was wondering if the trains are being reused from another coaster or if these are new from the factory. While on this topic, what are happening to Mantis's trains?

The floorless trains will be new and Mantis's stand up trains will probably be sent to California's Great America for parts on Vortex or another cedar fair park that has a b&m stand up roller coaster.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby skibum101184 on September 22nd, 2014, 8:28 am
I am actually happy to see Mantis get re-themed and receive floorless trains. While not a "new" coaster it will definitely breathe life and bring popularity back to the coaster, which in my opinion has a decent layout.
skibum101184

Postby tp41190 on September 22nd, 2014, 9:34 am
I am pretty happy to see Mantis getting a refresh as well. It's a huge looping coaster that deserves to have major ridership. Other than Mantis, Cedar Point has always been missing out on a huge looping coaster. The ride is also in the center of the park and really draws a lot of attention to itself. It's one of those rides that should be a popular staple, but because of it's reputation, it's always overlooked and skipped.

If it runs three trains and can keep it's dispatch times low, this should be one of the smartest decisions that the park will make in the next few years.

They really need to do something with Mean Streak next. It follows the same idea as Mantis where you shouldn't have the parks largest roller coasters as the rides with the lowest ridership.
[read]
tp41190

Postby skibum101184 on September 23rd, 2014, 8:16 am
This is on the same subject but also at the same time it's not. I am kind of surprised that when SFA received Iron Wolf they didn't do something along the same lines. Since Iron Wolf (Apocalypse) is a tight layound and you think they would have converted to regular B&M sitdown trains (like Kumba) or floorless trains.
skibum101184

Postby FParker185 on September 23rd, 2014, 7:02 pm
wasn't available at the time, though even if it was, SF moved Flashback to SFStL and left a 25 year old Arrow train on it rather than getting the new Vekoma train with the vests.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby BLADE on June 8th, 2015, 5:49 pm
Rode Rougarou. It's better than Mantis. I'd call it good, but not great. It does run in the rain though. Solid B grade.
BLADE

Postby CoasterCale on June 10th, 2015, 1:06 am
^^^ How were lines?^^^

CoasterCale

Postby BLADE on June 11th, 2015, 10:25 pm
Not bad. 15 minutes or less. The 3 Intamins are still more popular. It was a low crowd day though due to rain.
BLADE

Postby CoasterCale on June 11th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Interesting. So i guess this addition doesn't change my route directly to TTD. and on to Maverick, then Millennium.

CoasterCale

Postby BLADE on June 12th, 2015, 9:29 am
If you are there at opening time, you should never try to ride TTD first. It needs time, like about an hour, to warm up it's hydraulic fluid. That's why they run train after train empty, than 2 riders, then 4 riders, then 6 riders, etc.

We try to ride MF first, then TTD, then Mav. When we made it to TTD second this year, it was running half full when we started in line, but moved to full shortly after that. Low crowds, though.
BLADE

Postby BLADE on June 12th, 2015, 9:39 am
tp41190 wrote:I am pretty happy to see Mantis getting a refresh as well. It's a huge looping coaster that deserves to have major ridership. Other than Mantis, Cedar Point has always been missing out on a huge looping coaster. The ride is also in the center of the park and really draws a lot of attention to itself. It's one of those rides that should be a popular staple, but because of it's reputation, it's always overlooked and skipped.

If it runs three trains and can keep it's dispatch times low, this should be one of the smartest decisions that the park will make in the next few years.

They really need to do something with Mean Streak next. It follows the same idea as Mantis where you shouldn't have the parks largest roller coasters as the rides with the lowest ridership.

Even though this is kind of a down year for them, CP actually spent a good deal of money as a whole on the resort. Repainting and retheming Mantis had to be several million bucks, plus the new restraints on Maverick, and millions spent remodeling Breakers.

They are running 3 trains.

Mean Streak should have been done 5 years ago. I rode it and it was better than 2012, but still not very good, and trains are being sent out with 6-8 riders. I don't think it will be next year though. The land clearing says something new will be coming, but I hope it is not a dive machine. It's too much like a wingrider.
BLADE

Postby CoasterCale on June 12th, 2015, 5:00 pm
BLADE wrote:If you are there at opening time, you should never try to ride TTD first. It needs time, like about an hour, to warm up it's hydraulic fluid. That's why they run train after train empty, than 2 riders, then 4 riders, then 6 riders, etc.

We try to ride MF first, then TTD, then Mav. When we made it to TTD second this year, it was running half full when we started in line, but moved to full shortly after that. Low crowds, though.

I didn't know that. I went in June 2013 and the park was already open for an hour to resort guests. Went straight to TTD, full capacity. Waited 15 mins for front row.

CoasterCale

Postby BLADE on June 13th, 2015, 10:57 am
It could need less time depending on temperature. It's an easy ride to track throughout the park and we have been in line a number of times went it went down. We also try to ride it coming off a closure. We did this for our second ride on it this year. I managed to get on, but 2/3rd's of our group were in line for the very next train when it went down because of rain. They never got to ride it a second time.
BLADE

Postby Tardis1972 on June 14th, 2015, 8:30 am
I really enjoyed Rougarou (way better than when it was Mantis) and the best part is I finally got my floorless coaster credit, for now at least if you know what I mean. Also overall lines for all the coasters weren't too bad.
Tardis1972

Return to General Coaster Talk