Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

End of the line for Big Dipper @ Geauga Lake

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby BrianPlencner on September 9th, 2010, 10:49 pm
If a buyer is not found by 9/15, the owner will be taking it down.

"The coaster will be demolished if she doesn't have a new owner by 9/15,"

Read more here

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_art ... 8&catid=45

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby RagingFanatic on September 9th, 2010, 10:51 pm
SFGAm had better go buy that thing and stick it somewhere where it matters!
RagingFanatic

Postby monsterfan99 on September 9th, 2010, 11:47 pm
^You mean the dumpster? :lol:

No real shock. It's not cheap to move and quite large. I'd love to see the National Roller Coaster Museum get the trains.

On a positive, maybe this will stop the "lets re-open Geauga Lake"' nonsense from people.
monsterfan99

Postby Luxornv on September 10th, 2010, 1:52 am
Whoever said he'd buy a coaster with $1 million, here you go.
Luxornv

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 10th, 2010, 8:37 am
The thing we all learned from the Little Dipper with a wooden coaster is that you aren't really getting that much. You essentially have to rebuild the ride with a ton of new wood, and you get the train. Instead of getting this ride, I think it's better for an amusement park company to get a brand new wooden roller coaster.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Flying_Potato_Man on September 10th, 2010, 10:03 am
^Agreed. I truthfully dont think this thing will make it to a decent theme park... Or actually sell at all now that i think about it.
Flying_Potato_Man

Postby Goku1910 on September 10th, 2010, 3:39 pm
Six Flags going to save this one too? :lol:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby maxwellt on August 20th, 2016, 7:20 pm
we look at bay beach saving zippin pippin, and they used completely new wood and PTC trains from a coaster that operated in 2002. They essentially just bought the layout, and everything else was practically new
maxwellt

Postby stergmi on August 21st, 2016, 5:00 pm
maxwellt wrote:we look at bay beach saving zippin pippin, and they used completely new wood and PTC trains from a coaster that operated in 2002. They essentially just bought the layout, and everything else was practically new

With a woodie, you basically just get the trains, track, chain lift and braking mechanisms. You're going to have to rebuild the superstructure all over.
stergmi

Postby FParker185 on August 21st, 2016, 8:30 pm
Actually the track gets 100% replaced except maybe for the track steel, there's just no way to remove and reassemble it, generally if a ride isn't completely shot some of the structure can be reused.

and yeah, Bay Beach just got the Blueprints for the ride and whatever they could salvage which ended up being nothing except for some signage/memorabilia.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby maxwellt on August 24th, 2016, 7:59 pm
And the front car of the original train, but that's (at least it was at one point) on display

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Return to General Coaster Talk