Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Everything Cedar Fair Related

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby maxwellt on August 12th, 2017, 2:13 pm
I believe this is an appropriate topic to discuss any of the cedar fair parks and what new rides could be, rumors, new news, and other cool things. As of right now, the 2018 announcements are right around the corner, so feel free to discuss that or anything cedar fair related in this thread!
maxwellt

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 12th, 2017, 4:54 pm
Really excited for RMC Mean Streak and I am intrigued how Hurler will work out. To me it is just so different seeing Cedar Fair have RMC's now, it will take some time to get used to.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby maxwellt on August 12th, 2017, 6:29 pm
I personally think it's the start of an insane coaster war, between six flags and cedar fair, yes cedar fair will probably win, because they have both rmc and b&m and we just have rmc, but it'll be fun to see. Also, the leaked name for rmc hurler is twisted timbers

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Jodon on August 14th, 2017, 12:45 pm
maxwellt wrote:I personally think it's the start of an insane coaster war, between six flags and cedar fair, yes cedar fair will probably win, because they have both rmc and b&m and we just have rmc, but it'll be fun to see. Also, the leaked name for rmc hurler is twisted timbers

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Six Flags is no where remotely interested in competing in a "coaster war". Six Flags and Cedar Fair have completely different corporate strategies. Six Flags is content with adding relatively inexpensive annual additions utilizing the DC IP. Cedar Fair typically has one or two parks where they receive a large capital investment and the other parks receive nothing or something smaller.

If Six Flags was interested in a "coaster war", a six flags park would have gotten a bigger/better invert after KI opened Banshee, a Six Flags park would have gotten a gigantic gigs after Carowinds opened Fury, or a full size dive coaster after Valravn at CP. Instead, Six Flags countered those with RMC coasters, super loops, sky screamers, cloned Sally dark rides, and S&S free spins.

Six Flags can't compete with Cedar Fair in terms of capital investment spending at this time. I'm hoping that at some point Six Flags will return to creating world class full size coasters and operating world class parks, but I won't be optimistic until Six Flags shows a different business model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 14th, 2017, 6:08 pm
Mean Streak will have 4 inversions it seems. Near vertical if not vertical drop. Im excited!!
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 14th, 2017, 6:50 pm
I have to give a shoutout for Dorney Park. That park is such a good park that gets dumped on by people. Sure, I probably won't visit it in awhile because it has some great rides to me that are much closer by, but it has so much of what I like.

I really think all those rides are great: Thunderhawk (PTC wooden coaster), B&M Green Floorless coaster, Tilt-A-Whirl, a Chance Revolution, Classic Whip ride, Vekoma Invertigo (called Stinger), a wonderful mouse coaster, and a Vertical Velocity ride.

That's not it for me. It has other good rides like a Huss Troika (like Great America's Triple Play), Musik Express, Apollo (similar to Ricochet at Great America but it's a different company), an Enterprise, a train, a Ferris Wheel, swings (Whirligig), and Talon is okay (B&M inverted).

Plus, Dinosaurs Alive.

How I wish this was a park close by. It's got everything for me.

I never even went to the waterpark. That could have been good also. Even the Laser (a Schwarzkopf similar to Scorpion at Busch Gardens) which they took out was a great ride.

So many people don't like Dorney because of the coasters, but I just really like that park. It's just I have so many of these rides near me, or closer by.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 14th, 2017, 7:54 pm
I have never been to Dorney but I have always looked at it as an above average cedar fair ride. Not sure why it seems to be on the bottom half for majority of people.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 16th, 2017, 8:38 pm
I really have no excitement for nothing I've seen out of Cedar Fair announcements. Something like a Fabbri Kamikaze (It's essentially like another Larson Looper, but no track), a Larson Looper, a Dumbo, 2 regular RMC's, a restaurant at Dorney Park, I guess a Mack Sea Storm (at World's of Fun), and a steel coaster that looks like a Vekoma SLC (but is a sitdown) - It's too compact for me / too much going on in such a small space.

Out of these for me, the Sea Storm is probably the best (if that's what the ride is, and not just a dumbo ride):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOtceUoxlLU

Knott's is getting a Gestaurler ride like Monster at Adventureland, but this ride will actually stop similar to a B&M dive machine before it drops. It does to me look like the best thing out of all their rides.

I'm actually kind of shocked that they aren't the park that would get at least a B&M Hyper. After Carowinds has one (and a giga) - I still don't understand why they have 2 similar ones?, Kings Island, Cedar Point has the Intamins, Kings Dominion has an Intamin (though that seems more like a low to the ground coaster), Dorney Park & World's of Fun have the Morgan, Canada's Wonderland has one, and they didn't add it to Knott's.

They say Monster at Adventureland was $9 million. Maybe, Cedar Fair is trying to go cheaper this year, and B&Ms are expensive.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Tardis1972 on August 16th, 2017, 11:49 pm
So is this the first time ever that both Six Flags and Cedar Fair are building the same coaster with the Raptor? Steel
Vengeance is easily going to be the best US coaster (maybe even the world) in 2018. I'm already planning a Cedar Point trip.
Tardis1972

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 17th, 2017, 1:18 am
^The least I can find is that they had 2 B&Ms inverted coasters the same year. One was Raptor at Cedar Point, and the other one was Batman at Magic Mountain in 1994. They aren't the same layout, but they are still the same coaster model in the same year.

Afterburn & Batman the Ride (Over Texas) again in 1999.

You probably won't count it, but Kings Island and Six Flags America had a Vekoma Invertigo in the same year (1999). Kings Island was Paramount at the time though.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Tardis1972 on August 17th, 2017, 1:45 pm
^ Well RailBlazer isn't an exact clone of Wonder Woman. The difference is the heights. Wonder Woman is 113 ft and RailBlazer is only 106 ft.
Tardis1972

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 17th, 2017, 4:51 pm
Did Goliath lose any records because of Steel Vengeance?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 17th, 2017, 5:37 pm
Probably not since SV is steel hybrid and Goliath is wood. I think Lightning Rod took our speed record but I believe Goliath still has longest drop & steepest on a wooden.
AirTimeDaz

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 17th, 2017, 5:51 pm
LR took the speed record. Switchback technically took the steepness record, although because it's a shuttle, it can be debated. We still have tallest drop, though.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Return to General Coaster Talk