Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Great America announces Buccaneer Battle for 2009

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby Galvan317 on September 18th, 2008, 10:25 am
Six Flags Great America Announces New Water Adventure Ride for 2009

Sept. 18, 2008 - Gurnee, IL - A mutiny is brewing at Six Flags Great America as work begins on Buccaneer Battle, the theme park's new water adventure ride slated to open May 15, 2009.

Buccaneer Battle is a pirate-themed water attraction that incorporates lighting, music, dialogue, costumes, set design and special effects - launching guests on a voyage through a three-dimensional pirate world. Manufactured by Mack Rides, Buccaneer Battle will be located in the County Fair next to Farmer's Market.

Ten ships, each with room for eight crew members, follow a 450-foot channel through waves of interactive fun for the entire family. As the ships navigate the waters, the battle begins for passengers armed with a powerful soaker gun as they take aim at each other and targets along the way. Some targets respond while others display a variety of special effects, creating surprises at every turn. Buccaneer Battle also engages landlubber park guests along the ride's banks as the freebooters on the ship supply random fire and observers shoot back in ship-to-shore fun.

"The addition of Buccaneer Battle offers our guests an interactive experience that will complement our already vast and diverse line-up of rides and attractions," said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America's park president. "This new super-sensory experience will put Great America in a class of its own when it comes to family-friendly entertainment."

2009 season passes are on sale now at sixflags.com and include admission to the best water park in the nation, Hurricane Harbor; by purchasing now, guests will be able to visit Six Flags Great America for the remainder of the 2008 season including Fright Fest presented by Snickers. At $69.99 each, season passes are being offered at the lowest price in five years. Season Pass holders will also receive a value-packed 2009 coupon book with more than $500 dollars worth of offers including six Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets.

For more information, please visit http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby KyleK414 on September 18th, 2008, 10:44 am
This sounds kinda interesting. Alls I know, is that it better be a lot more fun than TDK. And, FWIW, that is a pretty snazzy looking logo.
Push down, then pull up. Exit to your left/right. And, enjoy the rest of your day at Six Flags! Your friendly enthusiast Kyle.
KyleK414

Postby onyxhotel08 on September 18th, 2008, 10:56 am
I'm waiting to find out what replaces Splash water Falls.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby viper1988 on September 18th, 2008, 11:08 am
^well you better get ready for a long wait!^
viper1988

Postby onyxhotel08 on September 18th, 2008, 11:23 am
viper1988 wrote:^well you better get ready for a long wait!^

The SWF area is just as big of an eyesore! I don't think anyone has mentioned what goes there for 2009 yet.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby Jackluver18 on September 18th, 2008, 11:24 am
I don't know if I'm going to go on it but I'll just have to deal with it
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby wishman35 on September 18th, 2008, 12:11 pm
so f'in stupid.

the least they could do would be to build a fun new flat.
wishman35

Postby guitarhero119 on September 18th, 2008, 12:28 pm
I'm actually excited. They needed a new water ride and got one. This is way better than nothing!
Remember, there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
guitarhero119

Postby Bob O on September 18th, 2008, 1:20 pm
While the park needs new attractions, this sure isnt it.

With the weather we get in this area of the country there will be alot of time the park is open when no one will ride it because it will be too cold to get wet. And what do pirates have to do with Country Fair???
Bob O

Postby viper1988 on September 18th, 2008, 3:27 pm
[quote="Bob O"]While the park needs new attractions, this sure isnt it.

With the weather we get in this area of the country there will be alot of time the park is open when no one will ride it because it will be too cold to get wet. And what do pirates have to do with Country Fair???[/quote]

Bob please just stop you haven't even seen one piece of concept art yet. I cant take your complaining all off season...seriously its not even on the official website please just lay back a bit until we hear more.

You might as well get all of your complaining out now because you will get more and more angry because Six Flags isn't just catering to us Coaster enthusiasts.

Ok yes we all know its not a Dive Coaster....ok fine we haven't gotten a major thrill ride since Superman so what...if you don't get what Shapiro is doing then you must be blind...hes slowly trying to get Six Flags into a company that can offer something more than just coasters to its guests. Yes TDK is fun maybe not Raging Bull fun but its fun nonetheless. I hate to say this but its similar to what Cedar Point did with Maverick they learned that not all rides need to be record breakers. Rides just need to be rides.

I'm assuming many of you have been to Disney and ridden Pirate's of the Caribbean this isn't the same ride by any means but its going to be fun, interactive and themed. Three things that Six Flags is in dire need of.

What does Pirates have to do with County Fair? What does Batman, and V2 have to do with Yankee Harbor? What does Superman, The Dark Knight, and the Condor have to do with Orleans Place? What does Hurricane Harbor have to do with America? What does the Iron Wolf have to do with County Fair?

Themes are awesome but if your going to bring up that argument you might as well pose the question to the whole park. In my opinion the park really lost its theme after the first year that it was built. Even Marriott's went away from the theme within the first couple years. Yeah it doesn't make much sense but your not in charge sorry.
viper1988

Postby BrianPlencner on September 18th, 2008, 5:27 pm
I think this will be another great addition to the park. This year, we lost a water ride, and next year we are getting one.

As long as you get wet on it, I'm all for it. There are lots of days in the summer that are hot enough for a good water ride. In fact, I've gone into Wiggles World a few times and cooled off on that water interactive thing they have! Sure, I may be 35, but I know a easy way to cool off in the hot summer sun when I see one.

The only thing the park should have done is waited until TOMORROW to announce this ride, as tomorrow is the annual "Talk Like a Pirate Day".

More information on that cool holiday can be found at the link below

http://www.talklikeapirateday.com/wordpress/

Ahoy, great new attraction, argh!

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby bigb7965 on September 18th, 2008, 6:09 pm
[quote="wishman35"]so f'in stupid.

the least they could do would be to build a fun new flat.[/quote]

the least you could do is give them the money to build it
bigb7965

Postby Jackluver18 on September 18th, 2008, 7:14 pm
The name sounds really stupid though
Jackluver18

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on September 18th, 2008, 7:22 pm
This is what I feared... sigh.

What about the OTHER supposed new attraction for 2009?

And why have I found nothing about this announcement on the official website?
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 18th, 2008, 7:49 pm
Ya, if it was announced don't you think that they would have it on their web site? It seems kinda weird.
coasterkidd100

Postby RagingBullFan on September 18th, 2008, 9:00 pm
DejaVuGurl1203 wrote:What about the OTHER supposed new attraction for 2009?

Put the GoKarts in SWF's spot (simplifies maintenance on the 2 internal combustion engine based rides) and make HH separately gated.

Oh and this is just IMHO... If you know what I mean... :roll:
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby Bob O on September 19th, 2008, 12:46 am
Viper1988 I havent been among the people who have been demanding a Dive coaster(though getting one would be great). And while I always love a coaster I can easily understand us getting a family attraction.
IMHO with us having the water park we do have enough water rides and often dont even operate Yankee Clipper.

I would have much preferred a interactive dark ride that could be enjoyed by almost all guests and if you build it indoors could be operated under any weather conditions which wont be the case of a water ride which will rarely operate to anywhere near capacity during FF and early in the season.

And I also have been one of the few who havent complained about TDK and think it was a good addition as a family coaster. But I wouldnt in the least compare it to Maverick in terms of cost or ride quality.
Bob O

Postby onyxhotel08 on September 19th, 2008, 2:08 am
[quote="DejaVuGurl1203"]This is what I feared... sigh.

And why have I found nothing about this announcement on the official website?[/quote]

That's what I wanna know.
onyxhotel08

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 19th, 2008, 6:55 am
I'm wondering how short the ride is actually going to be. A 450ft channel. Maybe its just me, but that sounds really, [i]really[/i] short.
DejaVu2001

Postby superflybri on September 19th, 2008, 1:36 pm
^ They will have have control on how "slow" the boat goes.. With ten different boats, It's probably going to go fairly slow through the channel of the pirate bay so that it can seem like a longer ride.
superflybri

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm
[quote="onyxhotel08"][quote="DejaVuGurl1203"]This is what I feared... sigh.

And why have I found nothing about this announcement on the official website?[/quote]

That's what I wanna know.[/quote]

It is now on their web site. Great, the ride will not have a flash pass line!
coasterkidd100

Postby T.K. on September 19th, 2008, 4:33 pm
the OTHER ride is comming in 2010 instead...
T.K.

Postby SFaddiction84 on September 19th, 2008, 8:01 pm
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
SFaddiction84

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 20th, 2008, 1:48 pm
[quote="T.K."]the OTHER ride is comming in 2010 instead...[/quote]

That sucks, I really wanted them to get another ride there for next season!
coasterkidd100

Postby Vudude773 on September 24th, 2008, 10:51 pm
Seems like a really good family water ride
:)
Vudude773

Next

Return to Headline News