Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Indiana Beach 2008 Off-Season Construction Update!

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby Cryptkeeper on April 4th, 2008, 9:03 pm
Things are progressing quite nicely at Indiana Beach this off-season! As you can see in the photos, the new management is giving many things in the park a nice, new paint job. The water slides, sky ride, and kiddie land should look fantastic when they're all done!

Steel Hawg is also progressing. Very soon the ride will be going vertical. The park will be working very hard to get it constructed as quickly as possible.

2008 is shaping up to be a quite a year for Indiana Beach! New owners, a new roller coaster, and many other new other projects will definitely make this year a must-visit year for fans of the Beach!

http://www.sfgamworld.com/gallery/IB2008Construction
(These photos were taken and posted with permission of the park).
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby FParker185 on April 5th, 2008, 2:53 am
Well, everything looks nice so far, but I guess it's just personal preference but I sorta liked everything the way it was. IB was just never a place full of bright colors, and it worked well for them. Solid colors, especially white and other subdued colors just has more of the nostalgic feel that made the park special. Though I look forwards to their opening day to see what they're doing with the place. So far though I can't say I like it from what I've heard is going on, especially with park personnel.
FParker185

Postby cycamps on April 5th, 2008, 10:35 am
I've never been to Indiana Beach, and it seems like there isn't a better year to go. However, the nearest time I can go is next summer. I suppose that's acceptable though, as long as I get to go sometime. From what I've heard, it seems like a great park.
cycamps

Postby batcave on April 5th, 2008, 12:04 pm
I'm with Parker, not a fan of the colors.
batcave

Postby BrianPlencner on April 5th, 2008, 9:46 pm
I have to agree with Mike as well. While new paint is never a bad thing, the "nostalic" look of the place goes away with the new bright colors.

I think if they would have painted, but kept the colors alone, it would have been better.

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 5th, 2008, 10:49 pm
I think alot of people are just bitter about the new ownership.

If it was the old ownership that started painting things, I have a feeling the reaction would be different.

I personally like that they are trying to make things look good. Admit it or not, but there were always parts of IB that looked run down. And if this ownership fixes that stuff up, as it appears they are. Guests will notice and like it.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Trailblazer Tony on April 5th, 2008, 10:58 pm
^I agree, I think these new owners aren't being given the chance they deserve. Is anyone else wierded out by the location of Steel Hawg? That spot is so far away from the boardwalk, it almost seems like an upcharge ride. I don't know if that's just me who finds that wierd, but it just seems distant. As for the colors, I like them on the slides, not so much on the chairlift towers....but I'll have to see them in person first to make my final judgement.
Trailblazer Tony

Postby FParker185 on April 5th, 2008, 11:35 pm
The park will eventually be filled in up to Steel Hawg, it's part of a long term plan, or at least was, not sure what's up now.

And honestly I wouldn't like the colors even if old management was in charge. It's just so out of character :)
FParker185

Postby FParker185 on April 5th, 2008, 11:40 pm
the Edit button has disappeared..

But also wanted to add that there is a big difference between looking old and being run down. I dont think any part of IB looked run down at all. Only thing in the park I could call run down would be the condition of the midway on the bridges/boardwalk, but it wasnt to bad yet and it doesnt appear they are doing anything about it.
FParker185

Postby BrianPlencner on April 6th, 2008, 10:47 am
^ Edit button was never in the Headline news section, even under the old forums. If you look, I brought this up as well.

If I remember right, the edit button is not there as these posts appear on the front page, and the moderators did not want people to edit their posts in this forum and change how things look on the front page...

And now, back on topic!

In no way am I upset or against the new owners of IB. I'm also not against change. I just feel that their choice for paint colors in this case may not have been correct. One thing is for sure...its not going to stop me from going to that park! They could paint it the whole park in a pink and orange checkerboard, and I would still go.

Just saying that if it was me, I would look at the original colors that things were, and re-paint them using those colors.

I also agree with Mike again, about the difference between looking old and being run down.

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby forddude1416 on April 7th, 2008, 7:58 am
I've really got to know, why does everyone hate the new owners so much? Did they eat someones child along the way?

I got to agree though that the new colors do look great, but a bit out of place (ski lift panted like raging bull?). But who knows, maybe this will become a top tier theme park in 20 some years.
forddude1416

Postby FParker185 on April 7th, 2008, 4:34 pm
already my fav park in the US in a 3 way tie with Kennywood and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk :)
FParker185

Postby cycamps on April 7th, 2008, 5:12 pm
How far is Steel Hawg away from the rest of the park? If it is a little ways away from everything else, then I don't see a problem with some new colors...
cycamps

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 7th, 2008, 11:15 pm
In my opinion it's already in the top tier of parks. It's always been my favorite Amusement Park.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby coasterinsane on April 9th, 2008, 8:12 am
I visit Indiana Beach usually 3-4 times a summer. It's only about 2 hours from where I am, and well worth the drive. It is a small, well kept amusement park that has a certain charm to it. (and no lines)

I see that alot of you do not agree with the new colors on some of the rides, but look at it from a G.P. view.
---------------------------------------
On the general publics half I bet it will go something like this..

"OMG look at alllll these new rides, I dont remember any of these! I can't wait to come back next summer, imagine what they'll have then!"

Usually, to G.P. New paint = New ride.
Remember when Batman: The Ride was painted yellow? "What is that ride? Isn't that where Batman was?"

Kiddie Land rides- If you were a child, which would you choose? The ride with the crusty brown roof.. or the FLAMING NEON BLUE roof? Just like any other 5 year old, the FNB would get you all excited.

--------------------------------------
Steel hawg is coming, thats going to be a VERY bold ride in the parks skyline, and timeline. Indiana Beach is changing for the better.. finally. It deserves this much needed attention. Can you imagine how much nicer S.H. was going to look compared to the rest of the rides? The park really was starting to look kind of run down.. it was not run down, but it was starting to look it. Indiana beach needs this face lift. I am looking forward to seeing many many more changes as time progresses.

Anyways, bicker all you want with me.. but I LOVE the new colors, on the slides, rides, and chairlift..and all these paint jobs will only add to the atmosphere to the park.. which I am really excited for!

Along with these changes, maybe not this year but in a few to come dont be suprised to see Tig'rr coaster repainted, and also the Galaxi with a more "popping" paint job. It's tucked into those water slides so well that most people just pass it up. Maybe they could just move the rides awesome sign out to the midway instead.. http://www.sfgamworld.com/gallery/IB/IB026 I bet that would work.
Also, as much we all LOVE that Yo-Yo out on the water I would imagine its years are running slim. I talked to the guy at the taco stand.. he said so.

With this post, I am NOT trying to start some shred session. This is not Jerry Springer. I am just letting you know what I think about these updates, and what I think should or will be happening to the park.
coasterinsane

Postby Trailblazer Tony on April 9th, 2008, 8:57 pm
cycamps wrote:How far is Steel Hawg away from the rest of the park? If it is a little ways away from everything else, then I don't see a problem with some new colors...

Have you ever been there? If so, just picture where you pay the 2 dollar entry fee, it's right there by the front. So picture that walk down to Hoosier Hurricane, that's the distance it is from the park....
Trailblazer Tony

Postby FParker185 on April 9th, 2008, 9:12 pm
There is nothing wrong with their Yo-Yo. It's not all that old and Chance still makes and fully supports them. In fact Yo-Yo is Chance's bread and butter. The cylinders on the ride have to be sent to chance every other year to be recertified, and you better believe they charge good for that service (that is mandatory)
FParker185

Postby cycamps on April 10th, 2008, 4:38 pm
^^I actually haven't been to Indiana Beach. However, I have heard that it was getting built a little ways away from the rest of the park.
Guessing from the $2 entry fee, do you have to pay for each ride?
cycamps

Postby FParker185 on April 10th, 2008, 7:40 pm
It's being built in the former pay parking lot, right by the South (non suspension bridge) enterance.

It costs $2 to get in, then after that you can pay per ride or get a wristband good for basically all rides except for the SkyCoaster and Haunted Castle.

http://www.indianabeach.com

all the info is there.
FParker185

Postby FParker185 on April 10th, 2008, 7:41 pm
$2.50 rather to get in. (never really posted much in this forum before, I'm a big fan of edit buttons) :)
FParker185

Postby coasterinsane on April 15th, 2008, 7:46 am
looks like http://www.indianabeach.com/blog has yet another update..

Track is starting to arrive, and all the footers have been poured. Imagaine how exciting it must be for a small town like Monticello to see truckloads of bright orange roller coaster track being delivered to Indiana beach!

The water slides look great right now as well.. That was a much needed color update on those!
Anyone have a clue as to when Steel Hawg should be opening?

Also, I do not know if anyone has noticed yet.. but it seems as if they have changed the logo from their crow wearing a biker jacket a more... ... appropriate? Logo...
Actually, I liked the old one better.. the more I look at this one the more I think "The Raging Pig"

http://www.indianabeach.com/rides/coast ... 48x648.gif

Anyone else see it?
coasterinsane

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 15th, 2008, 9:09 pm
After seeing the water slides, nobody in thier right mind should be complaining that the "old look" was better. That looks GrrrrrrrEAT!

Im really looking forward to Indiana Beach this year.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby FParker185 on April 15th, 2008, 9:55 pm
ok, I'll concede, now that they're done they do look pretty nice and fit in. Still standing my ground on the sky ride and everything else though :)
FParker185

Postby swafond on May 21st, 2008, 3:42 pm
OK, so I've also seen the new paint job in person and I don't mind the updated touch it adds to the park. There is one exception to this though and that's the skyride.
It cracks me up all this talk about paint. I've worked at Indiana Beach so I have a leg to stand on when I talk about them. There was a real good reason everything in the park was painted white, or blue in the case of the lazy river/water slide splash down pools, the owners were cheap! If you painted everything the same color you never wasted any paint, so the year they painted the tower of LoCoSuMo it meant they had to keep brown on hand when they repainted. This was all of course because painting was all done in house, hiring and outside company to do something an off work maintenance worker could do keeps costs down. One year they ordered the wrong color blue for the water park and that teal/blue started showing up all over the place, like the arcade under the skyroom, kiddie land, picnic groves, and I want to say it even started showing up at the campground. The fact that the skyride is pink and yellow screams back to the old days when someone ordered too much of any one color and then you'd start seeing that color showing up on everything.

Anyway, I do wish the new owners lots of luck! I have a cottage on the lake so the new fireworks this year will be cool. Looking forward to a new season all around.
swafond

Return to Headline News