Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

OSHA cites Six Flags Great America with 34 safety violations

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby BrianPlencner on September 10th, 2007, 3:17 pm
An article in today's Daily Herald mentions that Great America garnered 34 safety violation citations and $117,000 in recommended fines.

The violations include failure to use approved pumps to dispense flammable liquids and improper storage; sprinkler heads in a spray booth covered with unapproved polyethylene bags; exits not properly marked; damaged ladders; inoperable eyewash station; improper machine guarding for wood and metal cutting equipment; circuit breaker boxes used to disconnect machines not properly marked for lockout/tagout procedures which are intended to prevent inadvertent machine start-ups OSHA said in its report.

Full Story at:<a href="http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=34947" class="news" target="blank"> The Daily Herald</a>
BrianPlencner

Postby Jackluver18 on September 10th, 2007, 6:20 pm
So what's gonna happen to our park with FF coming up?
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Sireze on September 10th, 2007, 6:41 pm
oooooo they in trouble. LOL :lol:
From being one of the class geeks in 8th grade to one of the most noticable ones in High School. Thats what you call "Steppin Yo Game Up!"
Sireze

Postby Trailblazer Tony on September 10th, 2007, 8:11 pm
wow! I thought my work getting 3 was bad, lol.
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby Cryptkeeper on September 10th, 2007, 9:41 pm
It kind of makes you wonder...is Six Flags cutting corners/going cheap and not making the work place as safe as it should be, or is OSHA just being picky? No matter what it is, it's good that OSHA is around to keep companies honest and work places safe for employees.
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby FParker185 on September 10th, 2007, 9:44 pm
$117,700.... for 38 violations, that's it? SFGAm better pull out their checkbook and cut a check before OSHA comes to their senses, SFGAm can make off like bandits in this one. I've seen a single safety violation with more than half that figure threatened as a fine.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby FParker185 on September 10th, 2007, 9:45 pm
I dont see the edit button for some reason, but OHSA is always picky, they always find something no matter what, if they dont find something they'll make something up.
FParker185

Postby sfgam1992 on September 10th, 2007, 10:05 pm
They are talking about this on cbs news in a couple of minutes.
sfgam1992

Postby Jackluver18 on September 10th, 2007, 10:56 pm
Will they get this solved by Fright Fest? What's gonna happen I didn't get to watch the special on it.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby RagingBullFan on September 10th, 2007, 11:02 pm
This has nothing to do with visible park operation, it all has to do with the safety of the employees, usually maintenance employees. Its things like changing ladders or unblocking exits, and then paying the fines.

Really its being blown way out of proportion.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby demon boy on September 11th, 2007, 5:51 am
Yeah, these 34 things really cant be that hard to fix. If it means replacing things, its most likely going to cost way less than the fine. And if the park isnt lazy, they should have no problem fixing everything befor FF.
demon boy

Postby Trailblazer Tony on September 11th, 2007, 9:41 am
RagingBullFan wrote:This has nothing to do with visible park operation, it all has to do with the safety of the employees, usually maintenance employees. Its things like changing ladders or unblocking exits, and then paying the fines.

Really its being blown way out of proportion.

Did they mention this in any of the articles or TV specials or am I going to hear all day long how unsafe and dangerous Six Flags is?! :roll:

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Trailblazer Tony

Postby T.K. on September 11th, 2007, 10:41 am
I think Six Flags is very safe for employees. Extremly safe.
Six Flags Ameirca as the number 1 park at SFI.... this is JOKE!
T.K.

Postby Galvan317 on September 11th, 2007, 12:28 pm
This doesnt mean anything, its a good thing the media didnt get SFMM's OSHA bill :lol:
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby bbadger187 on September 11th, 2007, 6:47 pm
I think that OSHA went a little crazy. Safety is the parks number one priority. If you took a fine tooth comb to any place that large, you could probably find lots of technicalities that are being violated. I'm just hoping that this one little inspection doesn't cause any future problems.
The universal spiel.

There's nowhere to run! There's nowhere to hide! It's [INSERT RIDE NAME HERE]! ENJOY, YOUR, RIDE!!!
bbadger187

Postby FParker185 on September 11th, 2007, 9:34 pm
/\

That's exactly why OHSA was there in the first place.

Also you have to fix the stuff and pay the fine, it's not an or, if you dont fix it by the deadline the fine goes up exponentially.
FParker185

Postby cycamps on September 13th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it didn't seem like the violations were too bad.
cycamps

Postby zjohn1988 on September 13th, 2007, 8:49 pm
FParker185 wrote:I dont see the edit button for some reason, but OHSA is always picky, they always find something no matter what, if they dont find something they'll make something up.

No actually all that is pretty much true. I'm glad OHSA is taking action, but I don't think it will affect much for SFGAm's employee safety, which is not the greatest.
http://themeparkcritic.com/scripts/profile/ViewProfile.asp?ViewID=2909
A furious storm once roared `cross the sea, catching ships in its path, helpless to flee. Instead of a certain and watery doom, the winds swept them here to Typhoon Lagoon!

*****Are you ready to Rockit?!*****
zjohn1988

Postby zjohn1988 on September 13th, 2007, 8:50 pm
bbadger187 wrote:I think that OSHA went a little crazy. Safety is the parks number one priority.

For guests.
http://themeparkcritic.com/scripts/profile/ViewProfile.asp?ViewID=2909
A furious storm once roared `cross the sea, catching ships in its path, helpless to flee. Instead of a certain and watery doom, the winds swept them here to Typhoon Lagoon!

*****Are you ready to Rockit?!*****
zjohn1988

Postby Trailblazer Tony on September 14th, 2007, 9:28 am
^And that is the number 1 motto in retail! :?

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Trailblazer Tony

Postby exsfga_employee on September 20th, 2007, 3:58 pm
T.K. wrote:I think Six Flags is very safe for employees. Extremly safe.

Who the hell are you kidding? You must be a brainwashed seasonal employee. I worked in Maintnaince for 3 years and let me tell you, they don't care about employee safety. That's the main reason I left. My only regret is that I didn't get to see the action. I can honestly tell you that with what I saw, Great America got a slap on the scrotum compared to what they shouldv'e gotten. The vehicles they drive around in aren't even safe. You can tell that just by looking at the vehicles driving by while you're waiting in line on the bridge at Eagle. They don't do any real maintnance to their vehicles. They're falling apart! The maintnance shop doesn't even have good ventilation. It surprises me that none of those guys have cancer from all the shit in the air over there. Forklift fumes, paint fumes, and whatever else they're using. It sucks!
exsfga_employee

Postby RagingBullFan on September 20th, 2007, 4:26 pm
The vehicles that are driven around don't need to be safe.

As private property the vehicles don't need to pass emission inspection or meet any other requirements.

Also the speed limit on the back roads is supposed to be 10 MPH. Anything more and the accident is your fault....

Maintenance for vehicles used to be done by a dedicated vehicle shop, until the budget for that was removed. Now each area works on their own vehicles on a as needed basis.

There is plenty of ventilation too... Just because it smells bad doesn't make it unsafe. Plus all painting and fiberglass work is done in separately ventilated areas..
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby exsfga_employee on September 20th, 2007, 4:50 pm
The vehicles that are driven around don't need to be safe.

As private property the vehicles don't need to pass emission inspection or meet any other requirements.

Also the speed limit on the back roads is supposed to be 10 MPH. Anything more and the accident is your fault....

Don't need to be safe? Vehicle safety does not only protect the driver, but the pedestrians as well. How many seasonal employees actually look before they cross the road? I would guess roughly 5%. The rest just walk across assuming you'll stop for them. One of the things GA was cited for was the brakes on the vehicles. What happens when the braking system or some other system fails and a vehicle can't stop or moves unexpectadly? The plush warehouse vehicle had a problem for quite some time where it would suddenly go in reverse while sitting idle. Don't tell me the vehicles don't need to be safe. That's a load of crap. No, better yet, keep saying that! It only corroborates my statements.

The vehicles required inspections by the state until SF decided not to renew the tags on all the vehicles.

The speed limit is 10 down the center road, but 15 on the outer roads. Chris Fox said he was going to raise it to 15 and 20. Has he done it yet? It doesn't matter, everyone goes faster than that anyways! You have to when you're running around like a decapitated chicken because they don't have enough people to get everything done on time.

That building is not adequately ventilated. Yes, the fiberglass shop has a room seperated by a garage door and a couple walls, but the spray booth is not adequately ventilated. It sucked every time they used it!

Your brain cells are just too far gone to comprihend the dangers there. Who are you anyways?
exsfga_employee

Postby RagingBullFan on September 20th, 2007, 5:27 pm
If any vehicle had faulty brakes it was the responsibility of that department to bring it in to maintenance. If they didn't tell us anything was wrong, how would we know?

People in my zone did quite a few brake jobs for the ride mechanics vehicles. If other vehicles were brought in for that they did work on them too. If they weren't brought in, we weren't going to go looking for a problem, we were too busy with other things.

And if the spray booth wasn't properly ventilated OSHA would've cited them for it, but they didn't, because it meets code.

Now thats not to say that I didn't see lots of unsafe things, I did in my time there... But I think your complaining about the wrong things...
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby demon boy on September 20th, 2007, 10:23 pm
I thik ex has a point. The vehicles should be safe. Just because they dont have to be by regulations, doesnt mean they cant do it just because they care. As far as i'm consirned, the employees make the park. Heres how it would go.

Unsafe vehicle=accident=injured or deceased employee=loss for that department. Nothing gets done to fix the problem and eventually no more employees=no more six flags.

Even though they dont have to have something, doesnt mean they shouldnt happen. Bullfan, you're basically supporting the designers of the Titanic in an amusement industry set. For the TItanic, they only needed by law i think 26 life boats. But to accomodate everyone, they needed around 100. Look what happened, no more Titanic. The same thing could happen here. Safety is important, guests and employees.
demon boy

Next

Return to Headline News