Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New CEO says Great America will focus on families

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby CoasterDave316 on January 27th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Thrill ride aficionados can say goodbye to any new roller coasters at Six Flags Great America for the next three or four years.

However, parents with young children who believe the theme park needs to return to the way it was when families were king will take joy in the visit paid to the Gurnee theme park by CEO Mark Shapiro.

Full Story at: <a href="http://www.dailyherald.com/news/lakestory.asp?id=147698 " class="news" target="blank">The Daily Herald</a>
Last edited by CoasterDave316 on January 27th, 2006, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Sireze on January 27th, 2006, 7:05 pm
^ IS HE CRAZY? IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT FAMILY, IT'S ABOUT US, THE TEENAGERS! :shock: HES A LOSER! (Sorry For Caps Spank Me!)
From being one of the class geeks in 8th grade to one of the most noticable ones in High School. Thats what you call "Steppin Yo Game Up!"
Sireze

Postby CoasterDave316 on January 27th, 2006, 7:06 pm
With him saying no coasters for the next few years, I hope it will shut up alot of the people who are always thinking we are getting a new coaster ever year.

Im glad they are focusing on family's. There are alot of family attractions that teens will also like. A Sally Dark Ride is one of the things, I most want to see at Great America in the future. Kids love it, and they are fun for teens and adults as well.
Last edited by CoasterDave316 on January 27th, 2006, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Aero737 on January 27th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Eh, We have enough rides as it is right now.

Families = Money.

Enthusiasts = Nuisance.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby Sireze on January 27th, 2006, 7:08 pm
^ well u both are right, but I still think hes a loser. lol :lol:
From being one of the class geeks in 8th grade to one of the most noticable ones in High School. Thats what you call "Steppin Yo Game Up!"
Sireze

Postby rctfan1556 on January 27th, 2006, 7:30 pm
I do agree that familys=money and that SF wants to cater more to familys but we do need at least one more coaster. A floorless would work nicely. After that we will have enough rides and coasters in my opinion.
This is where I would usually put stuff. Can't think of anything right now... =/
rctfan1556

Location: My Location is secret. You can't haz! *Hides Location* *Hint: Follow the clues* ;D

Postby mm14 on January 27th, 2006, 8:33 pm
If you really think about it...the majorty of the people that go to Six Flags are teens....and who gives the teens money....their parents....so either way it's a win win situation...and most parents are busy..with work....so they just drop their teens off at the park....
mm14

Postby sfgam05 on January 27th, 2006, 8:44 pm
Yea, thats true, it seems that the apocalypse of Sfgam has come, this will definately limit my visits for the future. Unless we do get a cool ride everyone can enjoy, like a dark ride, that would be cool. Oh and for those of you who are saying that the new family thing is really a good decision, well remember that with all the new families that are supposedly gonna go, that means ALOT longer lines.
I'm running to Bull on opening day, anyone gets in my way and they'll get trampled.
sfgam05

Postby twixmix0303 on January 27th, 2006, 8:47 pm
CoasterDave316 wrote:There are alot of family attractions that teens will also like. A Sally Dark Ride is one of the things, I most want to see at Great America in the future. Kids love it, and they are fun for teens and adults as well.

I agree! (Just to clarify: a Sally Dark ride is an indoor shooting ride like Buzz Lightyear at WDW, or the more prominent in Six Flags, Scooby Doo Ghostblasters.) And when you think of Walt Disney World, you think there's something for everyone, right? Sure, they cater to families, but there's something for young kids, teens, and adults. This doesn't mean the end of coasters, it just means the coasters will be more family-friendly. (Think mine train!)
twixmix0303

Postby Coaster Alex0805 on January 27th, 2006, 9:53 pm
Can we say Whizzer will leave in 3-4 years? Jk But we all saw this coming
SF IS CLONING! AHHHHH!!!
Coaster Alex0805

Postby msoeagle on January 27th, 2006, 9:56 pm
Maybe whizzer can get a new paint job and new trains for the 07 season since its sticking around.
msoeagle

Postby Chitown on January 27th, 2006, 10:56 pm
Coaster Alex0805 wrote:Can we say Whizzer will leave in 3-4 years? Jk But we all saw this coming

I would say quite the opposite, with Shapiro running the show, that the Whizzer will make an attempt to stay around longer since it is the only family friendly coaster in the park.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Chitown on January 27th, 2006, 10:59 pm
Oh, here is a more detailed article of Shapiro's visit.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/lakestory.asp?id=147698

He says of the 17 parks he has visited so far, SFGAm is one the best ones.

Wants to change the IMAX theatre into a 3-D movie theatre or possibly 4-D.

3 million at this park is a testament to what the employees at this park have done.

Mr. Six will be scaled back but not gotten rid of completely.

Bottomline: he seems to have been very pleased with the Gurnee park.
Chitown

Postby CoasterDave316 on January 27th, 2006, 11:12 pm
Him saying 3 million proves what I thought all along...and that is the Amusement Buisness number that was released is wrong.

Thanks for the updated link, ill update the one in the story.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby twixmix0303 on January 27th, 2006, 11:42 pm
I have a feeling they'll be taking the tried and true "Disney" philosophy - do whatever possible to make the guest happy. As Shapiro said, the three million is a "testament to how hard these people work to make customers happy."
twixmix0303

Postby Carlo on January 28th, 2006, 1:02 am
He did not say much about SFGAM. But what is there to say? The Park is already is the best in the chain. Most (if not all) the ideas he stated have already been stated by other Park Management. He is just stating the ideas so he looks like he is making changes in the parks which will drive the Stock Price Up.
Carlo
Carlo

Postby Chitown on January 28th, 2006, 1:12 am
While he really didn't say anything outright negative of SFGAm, he did mention changes that will happen to this park like the daily parade and daily fireworks, more characters throughout the park, more security, upgrade to the IMAX, etc.

All sounds good to me.
Chitown

Postby RagingBullFan on January 28th, 2006, 1:25 am
I would really like to see a laser show ala CP's Snoopy's Summer Laser Show & Fireworks. While many people think its "corny" or "boring", the children and families love it. Every time I'd walk past that midway after closing when it was being shown, it was packed full of families, that and its special effects even catches the attention of the teenagers.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 28th, 2006, 2:17 am
Alright the comment about parents and teens give their kids money is true but the kids dont buy as much as soverniors as the parents. Instead of teens eating at the park, they go to Burger King or other restaurants because its cheaper. Family areas are better in a way because it draws more families who spend more money. SF drew teens and look what happened, our park was pretty good like they said in the aritcle, but, it could be better. If we get more of a family expierience then more families would come, spend more money, then maybe with all the budget solved we will get that floorless we always wanted.
No matter how hard it is...Never EVER give up. The real failure is those who dont try.
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby twixmix0303 on January 28th, 2006, 2:09 pm
Why would familes want a floorless? Shapiro already said that we won't be seeing any more Goliaths.
twixmix0303

Postby FRD714 on January 28th, 2006, 2:18 pm
Damn! Well, its not like we didnt see this coming. :(
Frank
FRD714

Postby sfgam05 on January 28th, 2006, 3:43 pm
Exactly, we all saw it coming, oh well.
I'm running to Bull on opening day, anyone gets in my way and they'll get trampled.
sfgam05

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 28th, 2006, 4:04 pm
I couldve swore they said in the article that we would see a coaster once in a while but mostly focus on families. Im saying though his goals seem interesting but we better not be a cheap crappy kids theme like a kiddie land. Make it more like the Marriott days in my opinion which was mostly family entertainment.
No matter how hard it is...Never EVER give up. The real failure is those who dont try.
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby twixmix0303 on January 28th, 2006, 5:20 pm
That's what they're doing. :)
twixmix0303

Postby greatamerica2003 on January 28th, 2006, 6:06 pm
OK so there are not more huge thrill rides built every year at Six Flags. Sure, the crowds are HUGE that year the new ride opens. But then the next year the crowds a much less because there is nothing new. It doesn't make business sense when you have forecast for the next year showing that attendance will decrease. Those who say its not a good idea to stop buildng thrill rides, think about this. Six Flags has been doing this for over 7 years, and IT'S NOT WORKING.

And you tell me which capital expenditure plan is better:

Lets say Great America will be getting $22 million dollars to spend on a capital improvment(s). Would you rather have $22 million spent on one thing, like a floorless roller coaster, which has appeal for only one year as "new". Or, spend $2 million on a Canyon Blastercoaster or Mine Train type ride, which appeals to everyone, and use the other $20 million to improve your park, pay more staff, keep restrooms clean etc?

I think that most General Managers would vote for the latter. Then every year can be like that. Something new to keep the crowds coming back but that isn't too expensive, and enough money to 1. Pay the $2 billion in debt the company has and 2. Have cash to keep the park running on all cylinders ALL SEASON LONG and not have to make significant cuts.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Next

Return to Headline News