Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Six Flags Great America announces Tornado!

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 15th, 2006, 2:21 am
^D@MN!!! That must be huge but then again I never seen one before so I guess it must be normal?...Does anybody know how tall ours will be?
No matter how hard it is...Never EVER give up. The real failure is those who dont try.
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby twixmix0303 on January 15th, 2006, 3:25 am
It would be easy to beat (would require no approval from the village), easy to advertise (it would be the world's tallest and fastest, two words that make a product sell itself), easy to build (just a simple straight-down design, slide shape is like a 3-sided box), and easy to maintain (no innertubes).

The sad part is that we're not getting one (at least not this year). :(
twixmix0303

Postby ihauntu2 on January 15th, 2006, 12:17 pm
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm wrote:I got a question why dont they just cut the funnel in half instead of making it a whole funnel if you barely go all the way

You actually go close to 3/4 the way up the side of the funnel on the first pass- just past straight vertical to where to person at the top is actually looking over the rest, but not far enough to tip. The more people you have in the boat, the higher you will go.

As you look down the funnel, you'll notice that the water comes down from pipes that sit at 10 & 2 on the circle shape, higher up than just half way.

Also having the top on adds to the noise inside. It sounds like a raging river, and the yelling and screaming is amped up, and it makes for a cool illusion when your looking down the funnel.
It's the most fun in the park when your laughing in the dark.
ihauntu2

Postby Timmy179 on January 15th, 2006, 12:29 pm
ihauntu2 wrote:
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm wrote:I got a question why dont they just cut the funnel in half instead of making it a whole funnel if you barely go all the way

You actually go close to 3/4 the way up the side of the funnel on the first pass- just past straight vertical to where to person at the top is actually looking over the rest, but not far enough to tip. The more people you have in the boat, the higher you will go.

As you look down the funnel, you'll notice that the water comes down from pipes that sit at 10 & 2 on the circle shape, higher up than just half way.

Also having the top on adds to the noise inside. It sounds like a raging river, and the yelling and screaming is amped up, and it makes for a cool illusion when your looking down the funnel.

Also, Appeal is huge for attraction, there is no doubt that the complete funnel and "tornado" brand makes the slide more appealing to the public
Around the world and back
Timmy179
Member Spotlight Guy

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 15th, 2006, 2:22 pm
twixmix0303 wrote: The sad part is that we're not getting one (at least not this year). :(

What do you mean that were not getting one this year?
No matter how hard it is...Never EVER give up. The real failure is those who dont try.
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby mschulz5 on January 15th, 2006, 2:23 pm
He means we aren't getting a speed slide.
'' If u commited suicide, u wouldn't be here anymore'' - Gangsta Fruit
mschulz5

Postby zjohn1988 on January 16th, 2006, 11:23 am
Hopefully within the next 5 years or so we'll see a slide like Summit Plummit. It would for sure bring in more guests.
zjohn1988

Postby twixmix0303 on January 16th, 2006, 1:01 pm
Here's a fact sheet on the new slide: http://www.sixflagsgreatamericanews.com ... CR&pr=1149

This thing is going to be bigger than I thought. 60 feet wide?! That's huge! 8)
twixmix0303

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 16th, 2006, 2:44 pm
The height structure is 75 feet I thought we were going to get a bigger one to compete with other parks
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby twixmix0303 on January 16th, 2006, 3:20 pm
I think it's identical to all the other ones at Six Flags parks. Not sure about non-Six Flags parks.
twixmix0303

Postby punkbunny24242 on January 16th, 2006, 3:47 pm
If I remember correctly... the last time we went to SFSTL we were speaking to one of the managers before opening time and he said that we were getting a larger tornado and he was jealous.

Ihauntu2 can you back me up on this one? Do you know if the St Louis park has a smaller tornado? It seems to me that they do because the tornado at Great Wolf Lodge in the Dells looks way bigger then the tornado in St Louis so maybe SFSTL has a smaller version??
punkbunny24242

Postby twixmix0303 on January 16th, 2006, 3:49 pm
Interesting. Maybe St. Louis didn't have enough room for it?
twixmix0303

Postby punkbunny24242 on January 16th, 2006, 3:51 pm
Possibly because their waterpark is allot more cramped together then ours
punkbunny24242

Postby FRD714 on January 16th, 2006, 5:16 pm
Yea, ours was designed to have room for more water attractions. Thats why the footers and all of that other crap were put in for Tornado during construction of HH.
Frank
FRD714

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 16th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Whats the biggest Tornando at other parks not including Six Flags
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby ihauntu2 on January 16th, 2006, 7:55 pm
punkbunny24242 wrote:If I remember correctly... the last time we went to SFSTL we were speaking to one of the managers before opening time and he said that we were getting a larger tornado and he was jealous.

Ihauntu2 can you back me up on this one? Do you know if the St Louis park has a smaller tornado? It seems to me that they do because the tornado at Great Wolf Lodge in the Dells looks way bigger then the tornado in St Louis so maybe SFSTL has a smaller version??

I really can't back you up on this one. SFSTL's Tornado is the only one I have seen. According to proslides website, they have 4 different versions of Tornado - Shooter. Rattler, Typhoon, and Thunder. I don't know what the difference is. The only Thing I can tell you is that SFSTL's version does not appear to be 75ft tall, maximum 50ft to the entry point maybe 65ft to the top of the actual funnel structure.
It's the most fun in the park when your laughing in the dark.
ihauntu2

Postby Trailblazer Tony on January 19th, 2006, 9:36 pm
ihauntu2 wrote:

I wasn't interested in riding it until you described it. Now it sounds exciting. Thanks for pumping me up!
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby iluvthebullforever on July 18th, 2006, 10:29 am
Im very glad they added it because it draws attention away from other rides and its an awesome ride! :D
Top 10 Rollercoasters: 1. El Toro 2. Kingda Ka 3. Superman: Ride of Steel 4. Millenium Force 5. Magnum XL: 200 6. Nitro 7. Raging Bull 8. Medusa 9. Gemini 10. B:TR
iluvthebullforever

Previous

Return to Headline News