Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mark Shapiro named CEO of Six Flags

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby SF Critic on December 13th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Former ESPN programming director Mark Shapiro is the new president and chief executive officer of Oklahoma City-based theme-park giant Six Flags Inc., the company announced on Tuesday. At a board meeting in New York, Six Flags directors voted to replace longtime CEO Kieran Burke with Shapiro and decided not to sell the company, Shapiro said in a brief telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Full Story at: <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051213/six_flags_shapiro.html?.v=2" target="blank" class="news">Yahoo.com</a>
SF Critic

Postby w00dland on December 13th, 2005, 11:47 pm
So, this is for real now. Snyder officially has control of the company.

It'd be funny if tomorrow all construction stopped.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Imeanbusiness on December 14th, 2005, 2:21 pm
Hell YEAH!!!!
Imeanbusiness

Postby greatamerica2003 on December 14th, 2005, 5:37 pm
Well control how? His hand-picked CEO may be in there now, but so shares have changed hands and Snyder does not own any more of Six Flags than he did before.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Postby FRD714 on December 14th, 2005, 6:13 pm
w00dland wrote:So, this is for real now. Snyder officially has control of the company.

It'd be funny if tomorrow all construction stopped.

No, it'd be funny if a huge floorless started being built at sfgam tomorrow.
Frank
FRD714

Postby w00dland on December 14th, 2005, 11:08 pm
Do you pay attention to this at all. With Snyder in charge we have a much lower chance of getting a big thrill ride soon. Not that I don't like a lot of his ideas because I think they will be great for the industry. Six Flags is a huge leader in the theme park industry, and with Six Flags mostly targeting teens lately I think it's changed the industry quite a bit. I'm looking forward to more families at our park.

And when Snyder's guy gets CEO, I feel that he has pretty much control of the company. If the board voted Burke out then they are on Snyder's side.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby FRD714 on December 14th, 2005, 11:20 pm
I was just kidding. Of course it would never happen, but since you brought up that construction would stop tomorrow, I decided to say what I said.
Frank
FRD714

Postby Trailblazer Tony on December 16th, 2005, 8:43 pm
From the article that I read on http://www.thrillnetwork.com , I really like some of the ideas Mark Shapiro has come up with. A haunted house is a neat idea, especially since we all know that Great America is good with them.
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby mschulz5 on December 16th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Actually, don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that Six Flags left it up to JDM to do the haunted houses, and SF actually had nothing to do with how good or bad they are/were.

An Xbox-themed land? I wouldn't mind a Sally Dark Ride.

HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED
THE RIDE!
'' If u commited suicide, u wouldn't be here anymore'' - Gangsta Fruit
mschulz5

Postby sfgam05 on December 17th, 2005, 1:23 pm
Financially it does sound like a good idea, but what sucks is that we cant expect a rollercoaster anytime soon. They keep talking about catering to familes, dont they realize that all families are not comprised of just small children. For example, i go with my friend and his huge family to great america at least 7 times a year. His huge family includes little kids, but thats not all of the group. Little kids arent the ones that say "lets go to great america". they dont even know what the hell great america is unless they have been there before. I think this is BS, say what you want but all you thrillseekers out there know this is going to suck. All though i wouldn't like to, i think that if they make sfgam so damn family oriented to the point where it sucks, i will probably take my business elsewhere, like CP, or somewhere else.
I'm running to Bull on opening day, anyone gets in my way and they'll get trampled.
sfgam05

Postby Trailblazer Tony on December 18th, 2005, 1:11 am
If they do decide to not build any major roller coasters soon, I hope they become creative about their other additions. I would rather have a ride like Revenge of the Mummy than a Strata-Coaster any day so maybe this isn't such a bad thing. Also, maybe a ride like Spiderman. I have faith. :wink:
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby raginbullrider on December 30th, 2005, 9:16 am
yeah right what sfgam 05 said is all true i go there with my 8 year oild cousins a few times a year and me and them love to ride raging bull
Former Six Flags Ride Operator - 2008-2011. "The Whizzer Guy." Also Worked at Demon, Batman, Viper, Raging Bull, Carousel, Big Easy Balloons, King Chaos, Orbit, Wiggles, Hometown Fun Machine, Triple Play, Log Flumes. I make and edit amusement park videos under the name Techie Dave Productions
raginbullrider

Postby haydawg149 on December 31st, 2005, 8:07 am
Trailblazer Tony wrote:If they do decide to not build any major roller coasters soon, I hope they become creative about their other additions. I would rather have a ride like Revenge of the Mummy than a Strata-Coaster any day so maybe this isn't such a bad thing. Also, maybe a ride like Spiderman. I have faith. :wink:

you would prob get the mummy's revenge ride over a strata simply because of one word . . "Airport"
haydawg149

Postby RagingBullFan on December 31st, 2005, 4:14 pm
Sigh....

There is no height limit because of an airport.

The height limit is 310 Ft ( AKA The height of Sky Trek Tower) and that was agreed upon when the park was originally built. It is an agreement they have with the city only.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby coasterkid86 on January 10th, 2006, 11:11 pm
I have been away from the boards for a long time, and haven't payed much attention to things at the park, so what is going to happen now that there is a new CEO? What are some of the things that this Snyder guy wants to change or not change?
coasterkid86

Postby twixmix0303 on January 10th, 2006, 11:39 pm
The new CEO is Mark Shaiparo I believe, he was appointed by Dan Snyder, largest stockholder of Six Flags, Inc. (someone correct me if this is not true at all). He kicked Burke off the board of directors in December.

It seems as though the chain is taking a more family-friendly approach, and Snyder favors outsourcing as much as possible in terms of concessions, etc. He also favors advertising and wants more in-park advertising (such as the SBC commercials over the rock speakers at Great America).
twixmix0303

Return to Headline News