Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm announces a 13 acre Hurricane Harbor

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby Danhockey04 on September 17th, 2004, 7:49 pm
Danhockey04 wrote:Atomic coasters are probably the new porslide slide. The rocket slide, which launches rides up hill and down hill, kind of like a coaster.
Also in that site, they say there is four in the world to open for 2005, which are probably the four atomic coasters for SFGAm.

http://www.proslide.com/whatsnew/ProSli ... llRide.pdf

Those are the atomic coasters.
Universal Orlando Mechanical Engineer
Marathon down, Goofy to go.
Danhockey04

Postby Dmrbug on September 17th, 2004, 8:31 pm
Here is a link to the company that will be making Skull island.
http://www.scsinteractive.com/index.htm

Fron the press release:
This family attraction is being designed and manufactured by Koala Play Group, a
Colorado company that specializes in play structures. The company collaborated with
Proslide, of Ottawa, Ontario, to integrate water slides into the giant play structure.
Dmrbug

Postby StealthNet on September 17th, 2004, 10:00 pm
hmm... So the Atomic Coaster is basically Proslide's version of the popular "Master Blaster" (except without tubes)? According to Proslide's site, four are opening in 2005... and as it is right now, it looks like we will be the first to premier these. I can't wait to ride 'em...

Another thing, just reading the "Attractions" section of Six Flags' corp site for our new waterpark, the variety of the different rides is perfect. From mat slides (head first!), to body slides (both speed slides and the atomic ones where you are launched uphill... 40 MPH on a waterslide sounds great), to inner tube slides (both single and four seaters), to the kid slides... some are even enclosed which adds to the effect since you don't know what is next. Then there's the wave pool, lazy river, and skull island on top of all that. This is going to be a huge success... My friends and I are definitely getting the combo pass and plan to go several times.
StealthNet

Postby sixflagsguy5 on September 17th, 2004, 10:47 pm
I'm getting a combo season pass. I still don't know how much they are though.

I checked everywere to see how much they are so if i missed it don't yell at me.
sixflagsguy5

Postby DejaVu The Ride on September 17th, 2004, 11:11 pm
The prices for next season have yet to be released, but you will be able to start buying season passes on October 9, the beginning of Fright Fest.
DejaVu The Ride

Postby StealthNet on September 18th, 2004, 12:12 am
Two things I noticed in the hi-res pic (posted earlier: http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/sixflags/ ... 20313a.jpg ).... The large inner tube slides, located Northeast of Skull Island, look like they have an automatic ramp to carry the inner tubes up (a lot better than hauling those things up the stairs!)

Also, to the west of those slides is a covered area (presumably where people can sit and eat), and right by it... it looks like a volleyball court? Maybe we can have a SFGAmWorld volleyball match! ;)
StealthNet

Postby SammyTheSparerib on September 18th, 2004, 10:36 am
There's probably no Master Blaster or Rocket. See two previously mentioned links for more info on "atomic coasters."

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/hurricane ... aster.html

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:mQ ... s%22&hl=en

What puzzles me is that in the concept art there are clearly two bowl slides (or misdrawn funnel slides), but no press release or part of the official site has mentioned them. Note that The Big Surf and Bubba Tubba are the two raft rides in the middle of the park. The bowls should be the highlight of the park besides the world's largest play area. I'm thinking that either Six Flags is holding off talking about them or the park won't get them in its first year. Hopefully, the info center will answer some questions.
SammyTheSparerib

Postby CoasterDave316 on September 18th, 2004, 11:06 am
The bowl slides are on the tower complex that they call the Atomic Coasters and Speed Slides.

Going by the descriptions on the site I was able to draw up a pretty good guess of which slides are which: http://sfgamworld.com/tpmodels/HurricaneHarbor.jpg
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SammyTheSparerib on September 18th, 2004, 11:54 am
The drawing seems to show 2 bowl slides, 2 speed slides, and 2 atomic coasters as part of the same complex. The description of attractions lists 2 speed slides and 4 atomic coasters as part of the same complex. While the bowl slides would also technically "switch from open to enclosed flumes" like the atomic coasters, the swirling around in a bowl part is highly marketable. I don't know why Six Flags has never mentioned the bowls in any of the promotional text if it will be in the park.
SammyTheSparerib

Postby StealthNet on September 18th, 2004, 12:07 pm
One thing to note, four Six Flags parks received ProSlide tornados (bowls) this year, so there is a good chance we will be receiving one (or two, as it looks like in the picture) for our park next year.

As for the 'atomic coasters', the suburbanchicagonews.com article mentioned earlier says: "Four four-story tube slides; four five-story flume rides equipped with jets to accelerate riders; and two speed slides capable of sending riders downward at 40 mph."

The official press release says: "they can blast up and over hills on the high-speed body slides at speeds of 40 mph."

So, based on these two statements, it seems the atomic coasters use jets to blast the riders up and over hills. How is this different from the 'new' ProSlide Rocket?
StealthNet

Postby FParker185 on September 18th, 2004, 10:56 pm
2 things, I've note on.

The Water Play Area (like most) should be geared towards older children and adults, there will be a seperate area for young kids, so we all can go nutz in there withoutt breaking any rules.

And as for Atomic Coasters, they will probably be regular waterslides just like the atomic coasters at SFGAdv and some other SF Waterparks (and quite a few non-SF waterparks according to Pro-Slides website.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Carlo on September 18th, 2004, 11:29 pm
The 2 slides from that look like Bowls, I was told it would do what is shown and they are made by pro slide. The other slides will have jets to increase your speed but they will not go uphill like a master blaster.

Also, Note no rides will be removed or moved for the Water Park. The Entry way between the 2 parks will be in-between SSA and the Go Carts.
Carlo
Carlo

Postby vocallaugh on September 18th, 2004, 11:50 pm
But it says guests board these high-energy, water adventures five stories above the ground and repeatedly switch from open to enclosed flumes at alternating high rates of speed or they can blast up and over hills on the high-speed body slides at speed

So isn't that at least cose to the master blaster idea?
Were getting a Water Park! WERE GETTING A WATER PARK!!!!!

You can't fly with egales if you hang around with Turkeys

Honk Jr
vocallaugh

Postby Carlo on September 19th, 2004, 12:04 am
If you go up hill you will just go up slightly, but never like a master blaster or Pro Slides new Rocket Slide.
Carlo
Carlo

Postby Sedir on September 19th, 2004, 8:47 pm
Any word on the family raft ride? Those things are so fun!
/X\
Sedir

Postby Carlo on September 19th, 2004, 8:52 pm
Yes, there will be 2 of them. The Big Surf and Bubba Tubba. If you go to sixflags.com/hurricaneharborchicago you will find a list of water slides being installed.
Carlo
Carlo

Postby twixmix0303 on September 19th, 2004, 9:11 pm
Season passes for both Great America and Hurricane Harbor Chicago go on sale Oct. 9.
twixmix0303

Postby planea380 on September 21st, 2004, 12:50 pm
So Six Flags fixed the webcam on American Eagle today.
planea380

Postby w00dland on September 21st, 2004, 7:45 pm
No they didn't, it still says Friday Sept. 19th at 9:20 AM for me...
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby SFGA 11 on September 21st, 2004, 8:07 pm
About an hour or so for me, it said Tuesday, but I checked again now and it says Friday again.
SFGA 11

Postby SFGAm Shock Wave on September 21st, 2004, 8:10 pm
It was updated today at 10:40am. I checked it at school and again when I got home. I just checked it again and it suddenly decided to go back to Friday.
SFGAm Shock Wave

Postby rich12_16 on September 21st, 2004, 8:14 pm
Does anyone have pictures.........................................:twisted: Just Kidding :twisted:
Ivory Lines Lead, Oh-Wa-Ho. Oh-Wa-Ho.
rich12_16

Postby planea380 on September 22nd, 2004, 1:04 pm
Waterpark, planea love waterparks! :D
planea380

Postby SFGA 11 on September 22nd, 2004, 3:22 pm
The web cam has a new image today for the first time since Friday . Nothing really much has changed though, except for some tents for the Chrysler Event.
SFGA 11

Postby SFGAm Shock Wave on September 22nd, 2004, 4:49 pm
Still showing the same image on my computer.
SFGAm Shock Wave

PreviousNext

Return to Headline News